“standard hotel”

Hampton Inn Ann Arbor-South
Ranked #11 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Reviewed 12 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at this property for a weekend getaway in Ann Arbor. The hotel was conveniently located near the highway and not far from downtown Ann Arbor, the U of Michigan, and attractions like Zingerman's. The property was clean, and the furniture was updated and modern.

However, this Hampton Inn was simply a standard hotel and nothing special. The room was very small--not a huge deal for us but might be for some people--but we were impressed with how the furnishings tried to make the most of the space, even in the bathroom. We were also struck by how easy it was to hear noise in other rooms and in the hallway. We didn't complain because we knew there wasn't anything anyone could do; our neighbors weren't trying to be loud, but the walls were very thin.

Breakfast was a standard deluxe buffet, and the breakfast area was very crowded. We ended up taking our food upstairs, which was a challenge without a tray.

Unfortunately, the pool was also closed during our stay, which was disappointing since we specifically booked a property with an indoor pool.

I don't want to say that this is a terrible property, especially since the hotel's flaws are beyond anyone's control. Service was outstanding, but the noise is certainly a factor that will keep us away in the future. Anyone looking for a standard, no frills hotel that "does the job" won't be disappointed. Others who might appreciate more space and a quiet environment should look elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank conalvo

Reviewed 9 March 2012

For the more than reasonable price, the room was clean, comfortable, and much more modern than I expected. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and were more than amenable to me returning after check-out to have a tea and sit in the lobby to wait for my transportation. Despite it being busy, I slept like a log and had no problems with noise.

My only complaints were that the internet wasn't the fastest (then again, it is free, unlike many of the nearby higher priced hotels, and it wasn't dead slow either) and when I arrived at Sunday brunch later on Sunday morning, the choices weren't as great. But it was still a better than average free breakfast! It was also a bit of a drag to get downtown without a car, but the buses run very frequently on weekdays.

I will take the Hampton a million times over a higher priced chain-- the rooms at the actual Hilton, for instance, are only marginally nicer, but you get better free amenities here and a more friendly staff.

Room Tip: Away from the elevator is always good!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank PP_BC
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Very nice Hampton. All the regular Hampton features, including a better breakfast than most, and great quanties of cookies each night :) Very helpful, kind staff. GREAT location, close to everything. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank funntimes
Reviewed 30 December 2011

This was our second time staying at this hotel and overall the stay was fine. The front desk staff is nice and friendly. Our only complaint was that the entire hotel ran out of clean towels, so our room for our family of four was restocked with only two towel sets. Housekeeping was a bit surly when asked about more towel. The breakfast was what one expects.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank gunvor
Reviewed 20 December 2011

Was here for a week of business. Older hotel but it was clean. The ironing board in my room had the front legs bent so the board was not level. Also, the iron had crud on the bottom of it and even though I tested it on the fabric of the board, it left crud on my shirt.

The next evening as I returned to the hotel, I mentioned this to the front desk and asked for a new board and iron. These were brought up to my room within 15 mins along with an offer to dry clean my shirt.

Very nice way to treat their customers... Thanks!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Brad M
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I've stayed here several times. Each time expecting the basic hotel and am pleasantly surprised. The room was very nicely appointed, although a tad on the smaller side. The bathroom was older but very clean. The complimentary breakfast was above par. And the staff was very welcoming and gracious.

Room Tip: We had a room far from the elevator and it was very quiet, even given the fact it was a college foot...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank wine28
Reviewed 13 November 2011

The staff was friendly, accommodating and helpful. However, the Internet connections were extremely slow, the breakfast offerings and presentation was only fair and the exercise room had only cardio machines - no weights. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was clean and there was an abundance of hot water. I guess it depends on what is important to you. They did comp us one night for the slow Internet connection.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family