“College Visit Stay”

Ranked #23 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Jones, Michigan
“College Visit Stay”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We were in town for a college visit. The hotel was not that far from anything on central campus so it was fine for the short drives. We did have to change rooms as our first one had a weird smell but they moved us without a question. The hotel was clean and all of the staff was nice and said welcome back whenever we walked in the door. It is close enough that I would stay here for a game and walk to the game instead of trying to drive over.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jenfoxj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I cannot believe the level of rudeness that my family and the group that they were travelling with were subjected to. My family was travelling as part of a group and had prior reservations. My wife and son were placed in a room a distance away from the rest of the group. When she asked if she could get a room closer to the group they said that all they had was a room with a single queen bed. When she asked what the rate was, they rold her that it was the same as the room with two double beds (even though on expedia this exact room is $20 less expensive). When she questioned this she was told, "do you want the room or not" in a vary degrading manner. My wife asked for a late checkout (Marriot Rewards Member) and was told OK. The headhousekeeper came by the room prior to the agreed upon time and started yelling at her that she had to "GET OUT" of the room. When my wife complained at the front desk, the headhousekeeper said that she was a liar to her face and management refused to do anything about it. Another member of our group was complaining to the front desk and the same head housekeeper was standing behind him mocking him to the person working the front desk. When she was caught doing this the person at the front desk said, "what do you want me to do, she is the head housekeeper." Does this rude person own the hotel that she is allowed to treat customers this way? ? ?

In addition, prior to travelling to the hotel, we were told that we could use the lobby for a pizza party for our group. When we did exactly that, we were threatened with being kicked out of the hotel and having the police called on us . . . really? ? ? By the way . . . if you read comments from others, you will find that this hotel often tells people they can use the lobby and then complains when they do just that.

Finally, I would highly recommend that ANYONE who stays at this hotel check their credit card after check out. We have had several members of our group charged for additional nights after checking out and receiving zero balance receipts.

I have stayed at Marriots all over the world and I have never in my life been treated this poorly. In addition, the Marriot chain does not seem to care about the reputation that this particular hotel is giving them.

4 Thank H0ckeyDad55

Travellers are raving about these Ann Arbor hotels

Canton, Ohio
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I believe if it is really good, tell as many as you can and if it is really bad, do the same. That is my reason for writing a review concerning this particular hotel. The hotel itself was very clean and breakfast was great! It was incompetent hotel managers and workers who made my family's experience so awful. The hotel is not capable of handling a large group of adults with children. The employees treated my friends and family with disresepct and rudeness. We had problems getting confirmation numbers (day before our stay and the credit card numbers were given 3 months prior to our stay), had wrong number of rooms, and wrong kind of rooms when we arrived at the hotel. Upon check out after two nights, they are trying to charge a third night when my family had only requested two.

I have been a Marriott rewards member for nearly a decade and have always been loyal to their brand. I am used to prompt communication and a great hotel where a customer is treated with respect. While I still plan on giving Marriott hotels my business, I will never stay at this hotel again nor will I stay at a Fairfield Inn in the future. The name sends chills down the back of my neck.

Room Tip: There are no tips.
1 Thank Andrew082014
Canton, Ohio
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel in conjunction with a hockey tournament for two nights. I have NEVER encountered a less friendly or helpful hotel staff in any past hotel stays. I have traveled extensively for both business and family vacations/sports events. The group coordinator made multiple mistakes with the initial reservations, was extremely difficult to contact, and completely unapologetic when confronted with these issues. The hotel security was rude to both our children and our parents. The cleaning staff was also very rude to many of our parents who had made arrangements for late checkout. One of our parents was actually told to "Get out" directly by the head housekeeper. The hotel staff made no effort to accommodate any special requests or work with the parents to find a quiet area that the children could play without disturbing other guests. The breakfast was mediocre at best. Most rooms are very small in terms of standard hotel rooms. Would NOT recommend this hotel for anything other then cheap/quick one night business travel.

2 Thank Duck1313
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 January 2014

A group of us stayed during the Winter Classic. The hotel was clean and close to I94. Although the hotel was loud, it was to be expected on NYE and with the crowd staying there. When we went to leave, I noticed that my trunk had broken. When we asked for some rope to tie it up, not only was it provided but the maintenance man (didn't get his name) helped us to tie up the trunk to get us home. He went over and above and saved us a ton of time. It was beyond appreciated and can't thank him enough.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Tehran
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I have experienced much better hotels and Inns quality with this amount of money! I was a little disappointed when I opened the room's door and I thought that I would get a better room with $98 for a night!

Room Tip: Parking lot has view into the rooms which are on parking lot side!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kocholo
Ellicott City
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Ever had a room where the ac was so faulty that the room was both cold and damp? Our sheets were damp, the entire room was damp...and no, the front desk couldn't do a thing about it. The trip was in July 2013, and I only now have recovered enough to write about it. We were in Ann Arbor for the annual huge craft fair and after standing outside in horrid heat, the last thing we wanted was this wet, noisy and unevenly cold hotel room! Awful is the nicest thing we could say.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business