“DISGUSTING!”

Ranked #24 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Lansing, Michigan
“DISGUSTING!”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This was a considerable let down. The room was not clean at all, me and my husband are retired and frequent hotels all over the state and this one bar far was one of the worst,. Location was fine, Breakfast was ok but we would have traded those to things for a clean room. Unless you plan on sleeping in the lobby dont even waste your time or money

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Rosa M
Felicia N, Manager at Fairfield Inn Ann Arbor, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to bring these issues and concerns to our attention. I will address the cleanliness issues with my housekeeping staff. It is our promise to give you a room that is fresh and clean. We would like to regain your trust and hope to service you again in the future. We are expecting renovations soon as well.

Please contact me if you have any questions or would like to discuss your stay further. Thank you.

-Felicia N.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Tucked away is this nice hotel. Compared to the pricey hotels in Ann Arbor this one is more reasonable for the area. The location itself, even though, you might not be able to find the hotel at first, is great to a number of amenities in the area. The indoor pool is great, however, since it is right off of the lounge area you hear those occupying the pool even though its is enclosed. The walls between the rooms are very thin as I could hear my next door neighbors, which interrupted my sleep. Upon arrival the rooms were just being completed with cleaning, which in some of the rooms it could be seen there was a rush clean job. Overall, it was an average stay at a hotel. Even though this is a hotel by Marriott, remember it is not a Marriott.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Felicia N, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Ann Arbor, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your concerns and issues. We apologize for the inconvenience while at our establishment. I will make sure to talk to my housekeeping staff regarding the service you recieved, as that is unacceptable. The hotel will be going through a renovation, and we hope that you will give us another chance when you are in the area!
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stayed here last week for one night on business on my way to Grand Rapids. I got in around 9pm and left early in the morning.

Good: Great rate, especially when only here for a few hours. Close to lots of restaurants, gas stations, and points of interest. Downtown Ann Arbor and the UM campus is minutes from here. Plenty of parking, clean room, friendly staff, quality FREE breakfast.

Bad: The hotel is located a couple minutes off the highway and is not the easiest to find. I went into the Courtyard at first by accident (next door to each other).

The Verdict: STAY HERE! This is a prototypical Marriott Fairfiled Inn property. The free parking and free breakfast added to a VERY reasonable rate make this a great option. The experience is consistent Marriott with a friendly front desk, clean room and facility, and overall quality experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Felicia N, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Ann Arbor, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
We are please to have met your needs here at the Fairfield Inn.

I am happy that our price and continental breakfast was satisfying.

We appreciate the feedback so we may continue to give excellent service in the future. We hope you decide to return in the future.

-Felicia N.
Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed 15 April 2014

In town for a reunion, the Fairfield was one of the "recommended" hotels for our group. I shared the room with a girl friend, and it was sufficient for our brief two-night stay. The hotel's age shows in the worn carpets, slow elevator with cracked floors, no-personality lobby, and well-used keycard locks on room doors. But the hotel is kept very clean, and there are no glaring flaws.

Positives:
+ Great location across Briarwood Mall, easy on/off I-94, short drive to University of Michigan Central Campus
+ Fantastic mattress! It's a soft memory foam-type mattress, which is so comfortable (even though I normally like very firm mattresses).
+ Comfortable pillows in a range of puffinesses
+ In-room mini fridge
+ Ample parking lot
+ Room was sufficiently spacious and we could lay out two suitcases

Some things I didn't like:
- Our sink sprayed water onto the countertop if turned on more than a trickle
- Bathroom fan is VERY loud (and turns on automatically with the bathroom light), which was annoying when someone would wake up in the middle of the night to take a potty break
- $120/night felt just a bit overpriced for this older property

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Jones, Michigan
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We were in town for a college visit. The hotel was not that far from anything on central campus so it was fine for the short drives. We did have to change rooms as our first one had a weird smell but they moved us without a question. The hotel was clean and all of the staff was nice and said welcome back whenever we walked in the door. It is close enough that I would stay here for a game and walk to the game instead of trying to drive over.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jenfoxj
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I cannot believe the level of rudeness that my family and the group that they were travelling with were subjected to. My family was travelling as part of a group and had prior reservations. My wife and son were placed in a room a distance away from the rest of the group. When she asked if she could get a room closer to the group they said that all they had was a room with a single queen bed. When she asked what the rate was, they rold her that it was the same as the room with two double beds (even though on expedia this exact room is $20 less expensive). When she questioned this she was told, "do you want the room or not" in a vary degrading manner. My wife asked for a late checkout (Marriot Rewards Member) and was told OK. The headhousekeeper came by the room prior to the agreed upon time and started yelling at her that she had to "GET OUT" of the room. When my wife complained at the front desk, the headhousekeeper said that she was a liar to her face and management refused to do anything about it. Another member of our group was complaining to the front desk and the same head housekeeper was standing behind him mocking him to the person working the front desk. When she was caught doing this the person at the front desk said, "what do you want me to do, she is the head housekeeper." Does this rude person own the hotel that she is allowed to treat customers this way? ? ?

In addition, prior to travelling to the hotel, we were told that we could use the lobby for a pizza party for our group. When we did exactly that, we were threatened with being kicked out of the hotel and having the police called on us . . . really? ? ? By the way . . . if you read comments from others, you will find that this hotel often tells people they can use the lobby and then complains when they do just that.

Finally, I would highly recommend that ANYONE who stays at this hotel check their credit card after check out. We have had several members of our group charged for additional nights after checking out and receiving zero balance receipts.

I have stayed at Marriots all over the world and I have never in my life been treated this poorly. In addition, the Marriot chain does not seem to care about the reputation that this particular hotel is giving them.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank H0ckeyDad55
Canton, Ohio
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I believe if it is really good, tell as many as you can and if it is really bad, do the same. That is my reason for writing a review concerning this particular hotel. The hotel itself was very clean and breakfast was great! It was incompetent hotel managers and workers who made my family's experience so awful. The hotel is not capable of handling a large group of adults with children. The employees treated my friends and family with disresepct and rudeness. We had problems getting confirmation numbers (day before our stay and the credit card numbers were given 3 months prior to our stay), had wrong number of rooms, and wrong kind of rooms when we arrived at the hotel. Upon check out after two nights, they are trying to charge a third night when my family had only requested two.

I have been a Marriott rewards member for nearly a decade and have always been loyal to their brand. I am used to prompt communication and a great hotel where a customer is treated with respect. While I still plan on giving Marriott hotels my business, I will never stay at this hotel again nor will I stay at a Fairfield Inn in the future. The name sends chills down the back of my neck.

Room Tip: There are no tips.