“Outstanding Value & excellent staff”

Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - University South
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I do a lot of out-of-state contract work, and have lived in long term hotels in several states. In a nutshell, the Extended Stay Deluxe in Ann Arbor provides very good value, and has a friendly, helpful staff. More detailed discussion is below.

The single best aspect of this property is the staff and management. Without exception, the front desk, housekeeping, and building maintenance people are friendly and helpful, and the management is both flexible and responsive to guest concerns.

I’ve got a corner room on the 3rd floor, which is quiet and has windows on two sides. It feels like a small apartment, unlike some long term hotels, in which you basically get everything in one large space.

The kitchen includes a full size refrigerator, microwave, large size sink, dishwasher, dish drying rack, four burner stove & oven, and four complete sets of dishes. This compares very favorably with other long term hotels, most of which provide much less.

There is a coin operated laundry on the 1st floor of the hotel, and Mr. Stadium, an excellent 24 hour laundromat with all sizes of machines, plus pressing, dry cleaning, and tailoring service, is just a few minutes away.

While it’s a bit expensive if you’re only staying for one or two nights, the long term rates are very reasonable, and are lower than the other comparable long term hotels in the Ann Arbor area. Then again, if you’re only in town for a couple of days, is it even worth buying groceries and cooking for yourself?

It’s in a convenient location, with easy freeway access, and a wide range of shopping within five minutes of the hotel. A major shopping mall is a minute or two away, and within one freeway exit there are large discount stores, department stores, groceries, numerous banks, and even a Whole Foods.

The free wireless Internet works well, and on the rare occasion when you might need something, the 800 tech support line staff are knowledgeable and responsive. There is a faster Internet option available for $30 per month, but the improvement is only marginal.

Okay, if it’s so great, what’s the downside? Well, not much, really, but there are two areas that could stand improvement.

The carpet in my room is very old, and has a lot of cigarette burns in it. But there’s absolutely no odor from smoke. I’m a former smoker (quit 17 years ago), and these days I’m very sensitive to cigarette smoke, even outdoors. Michigan outlawed smoking in hotels a couple of years ago, and I have to say that they did an outstanding job of getting rid of the smell.

The other area that I’d like to see improved is the cable TV selection. In particular, there are a lot of common sports channels that aren’t available.

While there are several versions of ESPN, ESPN-U, which carries a lot of college games, isn’t here. Other notable sports channels that are missing include Fox Sports Detroit, which carries Red Wings and Tigers games, NBC Sports (former Versus), which has NHL playoff games, and the Big Ten Network.

Room Tip: Staying 31 days or longer qualifies for Michigan's tax free status.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Thank you so much for your great feedback regarding your stay at our Extended Stay Deluxe – Ann Arbor. I’m so glad to hear our product worked out so well for you and it’s very rewarding to hear the staff took such great care of you. Thank you for your kind words on our location, amenities and WIFI. That is great to hear! Thank you also for your feedback on our channel lineup. That is definitely something we are looking into. Thank you again for your stay. We appreciate your business.

Reviewed 20 March 2012

As a UM b-school graduate and football season ticket holder I get back to Ann Arbor a good deal. Let me be clear, I live in Starwood hotels as I travel for a living. Despite that in Ann Arbor, I ONLY STAY at the Extended Stay Deluxe in Ann Arbor. It is a GREAT VALUE. More over and MORE IMPORTANT, they treat me and my guests like family. I have had occasion to me the manager Alan Russell on virtually every occasion. Great hotels are run by great leaders. I have to believe Mr. Russell is a great leader. In every interaction I have had he remembers me and my family and guests. He recalls conversations we have had in the past. He proactively will make taxi arrangements for us. He is the reason - I believe - this is such a great hotel. I am not alone. All of my friends now stay here when in town as well. I am shocked that the Extended Stay group has not moved this guy to corporate. When in Ann Arbor, look for Mr. Russell. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to the left of the elevators on the "L". They are quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - University South, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2012

Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay Deluxe Detroit - Ann Arbor. Whenever I read comments like yours, it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. We know you have many lodging options in the area, which is why providing you and every guest with professional, friendly service is our priority.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

I stayed at the extended stay and had a wonderful time. The room had everything I needed and was nice and spacious. The manager on duty was excellent and was able to assist greatly with any request that I could think of. When I return to the area again I plan to stay here.

• Stayed: July 2011
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - University South, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

It was very kind of you to take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay Deluxe Detroit - Ann Arbor. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our staff is continually coached on how to best provide professional, accommodating, and friendly service to every guest. It sounds like we hit a home run in your case!

Reviewed 19 March 2012

This location, the staff and manager have handled multiple events for my group. They seem to always rise above the call of duty to deliver a welcoming visit. We return for the comfort, familiar spirit and dedicated team. I always recommend this location above any other property in the area. The convenient location allows others to walk over from other places and when they do, the often book here the next time.

Hats off to the entire team and I look forward to staying with you all again soon!

Room Tip: Ask for a sofa w/ a pull out.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - University South, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay Deluxe Detroit - Ann Arbor. Whenever I read comments like yours, it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. By continuing to provide our valued guests with exceptional value, we know Extended Stay Hotels(sm) will remain the #1 extended stay lodging source in the North America.

Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area. Once again, thanks for all of your kind words.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

I am a traveling nurse and lived in many a place, The Extended Stay Deluxe - Ann Arbor has been one of the best. Alan Russell, Manager and his staff Ashley, Tracy, etc. make an effort of making you feel welcomed, comfortable and safe. They even help take care of my pet when I am working long hours at the hospital. The staff do indeed excel in making your stay one that is positive. I will recommend with pleasure Extended Stay Deluxe-Ann Arbor, MI a place to stay.

Kathy B.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Extended Stay Deluxe Detroit - Ann Arbor. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. We strive to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

Over that past 5 years we have worked with the management and staff at the Extended Stay Detroit-Ann Arbor to house out of town members for our retreats three or four times a year. The facility is clean and comfortable and the rates the best in the area - even during holidays and UofM football weekends. The service and friendly staff are a big plus and the location perfect for our needs as well as close to restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank deb b

Reviewed 16 March 2012

We have stayed at the Extended Stay in Ann Arbor on two occasions. The rooms are always clean, nice, large and comfortable. The hotel excels in providing for the support and needs of travelers who need to stay for a week, a month or more. The service is always excellent and the staff is very friendly and supportive.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south are quieter and have a good view.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - University South, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

It was very kind of you to take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay Deluxe Detroit - Ann Arbor. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our company motto is "Excellence Every Day, Every Way," and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice; after all, that's how Extended Stay Hotels(sm) got to be the largest extended stay lodging brand in North America.