Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - Briarwood Mall
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Anthony and Judy were wonderful but that was it. Dirty room, you could write your name behind bathroom door. Had to ask for toilet paper twice and soap three times. No dishes, had to get your own towels. Hotel was recommended by u of m for a place to stay before and after surgery. However place had no ice for ice packs after surgery. Sad don't stay there!!!!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Stacy Hall M
There are newer reviews for Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - Briarwood Mall

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We booked this hotel for a last-minute weekend trip. There was essentially nothing in the Ann Arbor area available, but this hotel had one open room via third-party websites. The room type that was available was a queen bed, ADA accessible. Normally, I try to avoid booking the ADA accessible rooms, as I've had hit-or-miss experiences, but we needed a place to stay.

Traveling with an infant, we thought the extra room and the kitchen available at an extended stay type of hotel would be a plus. We also figured that the ADA room would have more room to put the portable crib, if nothing else, which has always been my experience at other hotels. We were expecting the typical extended stay facility type of room - bed, sofabed, dresser, full/almost full kitchen, and full bathroom.

The employees at check-in and check-out were courteous and helpful. Throughout our stay, the staff was great, really. The room, however, would prevent us from staying again.

I don't know if it was because the room was the last available, but the one we were put in had clearly seen better days. Part of the bathroom vanity was broken. The drawers in the dresser and nightstand were peeling and dirty. The bathtub was streaked and fairly gray on the bottom. You couldn't get very hot water out of the kitchen sink, as the handle would only turn part of the way around before hitting the back of the counter.

The kitchen was missing silverware and some of the plates and bowls. There was a full refrigerator, which was nice, but only a few burners and a small microwave, not an oven or dishwasher, which I have received at some of the other extended stay chains. The hotel didn't provide any paper towels or dish soap. There was no hair dryer in the bathroom. You could receive more amenities by contacting the front desk, and they gladly provided a hair dryer and more towels, but I was expecting the room to be stocked a bit better.

As a side note, the ESA rooms have signs telling you to take out your own garbage to the bins around the hotel, but I could only find small garbage cans down in the lobby. Without housekeeping, it was a pain to have to haul trash down to the lobby to clean out the room, and then what we had barely fit in the bin.

It seems like, if anything, the ADA accessible room had even less space. The bathroom was huge but basically empty - a tub/shower combo, a very small vanity, and the toilet. There was no closet to speak of in the room, just some wire shelves on the wall next to the bed, with the iron and ironing board stuck on the wall. There was one small nightstand and a dresser, but the television took up the entire top of the dresser and placed in front of the wall mirror. There was no sofabed, just an old recliner that we couldn't get back up after reclining.

We weren't planning on using the sofabed but figured there would be space for the portable crib in front of it, as it would need to extend out. There was no space in the living area for a sofabed at all, which is why, I assume, a recliner was put in the room instead. With the actual bedroom part of the room being so small, we ended up putting the crib under the wire shelves that made up the "closet". Not a huge issue, just be prepared that the ADA rooms sacrifice a bunch of living space to accommodate the larger bathroom.

As others have said, cleanliness was the biggest issue. We found someone else's body hair all over the bathroom and in the sheets and towels. The spare blanket in the room looked to have burn marks on it. There were white stains on the bed skirt. There was a bunch of garbage under the bed. The dish rack and provided dishes were stained and needed to be washed before using, but there was no dish soap. The drawers in the dresser and nightstand were so beaten up and stained that we didn't put anything in them. The bathtub was streaked with stains and contained a bunch of hair. The recliner in the room was stained. The hallway carpet had large stains all over it.

Based on what I had heard about ESA hotels, I wasn't expecting a lot of amenities, but was expecting a clean, functional room with a usable kitchen and some space to spread out. After this stay, I would definitely not stay at this location again and would be very hesitant to pick ESA as a chain in the future.

Room Tip: If you need or are given an ADA accessible room, expect much less living space and no sofabed or clo...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lewislhar
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I arrived at 5pm, 2 hours after check-in and the room was not ready, no apology no nothing. I asked for a restroom after a 5 hour trip. I was told I had to wait for my room, finally had them open a vacant room to use the restroom. After getting my room an hour later, I had to wait another hour to receive kitchen utensils, in the hour I waited for the room they could have asked what optional items I needed!

Once, I got in the room and got the kitchen utensils, the rest of my stay was fine. Room was clean, quiet and comfortable. The grab and go breakfast was better then some breakfast at fuller service hotels.

Room Tip: Tell the front desk that you will need the kitchen stocked with utensils during reservation process...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Jeff K
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

My family and I usually travel a few times a month and this month we decided to travel to Ann Arbor. We usually are not very picky when it comes to the room. This however is an exception. We got into out room and got settled in. We opened up the sleeper sofa for the kids and there was no sheets or anything. To make things even worse the mattress was urine stained. Now it may just be me, but if something is stained like that wouldn't you want to replace it. Now onto the bathroom. The tub was dirty and paint is peeling away by the shower head. Again this is something that should have been addressed when it was first starting. The customer service is just as bad. I had to go down to the desk not once or twice, but three times and ask for the pillows that should have been in the room for the pullout sofa. If you are asking my opinion, I wouldn't stay here. Pay the extra $30.00-$40.00 and stay at the holiday inn.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Joey J
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Found someone else's gray shorts in a drawer. Someone else's hair in the tub. Someone else's dried coffee in the mug. Streaks of dirt on the floor. Blech. The front desk staff were genuinely and consistently warm--they did a great job of welcoming regulars and newbies alike. The location was convenient. But standards for cleanliness were definitely low.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank K8theSk8
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I booked this hotel for a 2-week stay on business trip knowing my cheap business owner would not pay for Hilton next door. This place was next to I-94, so it was a bit noisy but conveniently located next to the big mall. The wrap-and-go breakfast was very minimum. There is only 1 seat to sit down in the lobby. Every morning, there was a fat old man sitting there forever checking out the lady's rear ends as well as making comments on what people took from the breakfast rack. Internet speed is a bit slow. The elevator is super slow. An old man may be able to get to 2nd floor by stairs before the elevator moves up. Maintenance person is non-existent if you ask to fix anything. Wall insulation is horrible. If you are making out in bed, keep your noise at minimum. I could hear the rocking bed noise once awhile. Bathroom only has towers & soap; nothing else. No shampoo, no body lotion, etc. Weekly housekeeping was a joke. They did NOT even vacuum the floor, did not re-supply the soap bars (I had to go down to ask for new soaps). Water pressures were the best of any hotel I ever stayed in; so strong. LOL. I recommend to re-wash all utensils, bowls, dishes before using them just to be safe. Overall, it's a good value hotels for a long stay if you are not too picky.

Room Tip: Stay on top floor facing the ponds is better.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank JeanT2012_12
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - Briarwood Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I sincerely apologize for your experience including the noise levels, maintenance issues and the level of cleanliness in your room. In response to your feedback, I will meet with the staff to review our guest protocol and maintenance issues to ensure your experience is not repeated. Please know, I am working with the housekeeping staff to improve our cleaning procedures so that this issue does not affect our future guests. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at, daa@extendedstay.com.

Again, thank you for the comments. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better stay in the future.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed here during an overnight stay at University Hospital. The staff is very friendly and the rooms clean. The cost was based on our being at the hospital and was a great rate.

We have stayed here before and this room a queen suite although not the one requested was better for us than the king suite we had the last time.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Moozik56
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - Briarwood Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. It's great to hear that you were pleased with your clean room and our affordable rates. As well, I'm glad that you found our staff to be friendly during your stay with us. I will be sure to share your kind remarks with our entire team. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay America. We hope to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.