“Amazing customer service”

Ranked #16 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Halifax
“Amazing customer service”
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Betty, the GM of this place, was amazing. She remembered my name every time she saw me and even though I had a small complaint, she went above and beyond anything I could of expected. Some of the best hospitality I've ever experienced - and I've stayed at a lot of hotels.

Johanne in the kitchen/bar was exceptional as well. You guys have my biz next time I'm in Ann Arbor.

Cheers!

Stayed August 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Ohio
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Overall, it's a nice hotel, but various flaws prevent it from being rated at the level of other Courtyards that I've stayed at. First, it really looks tacky for housekeeping to leave carts out in the hallway overnight, as well as dirty coffee cups and glasses. Second, the rooms were poorly designed regarding the AC units. If the temperature is over 90 (which is was when I stayed) the AC unit can't cool off the room - best we had it down to was 74. We thought we had a room with a bad AC; desk manager came up and first said that we had the AC set up wrong, so he reset it for us. When we then contacted the front desk stating that that fix didn't work, then we got the excuse of the AC not being able to handle the heat, and that all of the rooms were like this. Of course, the lobby - where he works - is nicely air conditioned!!! It feels like it's set to about 67-68 degrees. I'm willing to give the front desk the benefit of the doubt, that this is what they - AND THEIR GUESTS - are stuck with on a hot day. This means that someone at Marriott screwed up in specifying the wrong AC units for the rooms. Therefore, be forewarned: if it is going to be a hot one, stay somewhere else!!! Too bad, as the rooms are nice, the staff friendly, and the breakfast options are decent (though you do have to pay for them), but for what one pays to stay here, you should get an air conditioner that keeps your room cool regardless of the outside temperature. At least it was cool in the lobby, so we hung out there until bedtime - too bad we couldn't crash out there!

• Stayed July 2011
MHardyDOS, Director of Sales at Courtyard Ann Arbor, responded to this review, 25 July 2011
Dear TravelingProf,
Thank you for recently selecting our Courtyard by Marriott Ann Arbor hotel and to boot, on one of the hottest record breaking weeks Ann Arbor has had in decades, literally. The AC units in the sleeping room are all new as of 2010 and independently operated in each room. The lobby AC is a separate unit and for that large of space, generates a constant 72 degrees as it resides on the roof above the lobby. For the sleeping rooms, a typical room AC unit has the ability to reduce a room from 20-25 degrees normally from whatever the temperature is outside. However, if you were here on one of the days where we had an uncharacteristic 100 degrees outside, the AC unit performed as it was expected and similar to any other hotel for this area would be able to perform at, under the rare circumstances. Humidity, for Michigan can also make an area feel hotter than it needs to feel. Even still, we apologize sincerely for any discomfort you or your guests may have experienced while with us. It certainly is our goal to make your stay as comfortable as possible. As for the carts and dish items, that is thoroughly being addressed for improvements as that is not our standard. We hope that you will join us in the near future to try us again. True to Michigan climate, we should have cooler temperatures, very soon...that will last for months and months. Thank you again for your feedback, we greatly appreciate your time in doing so!
North Texas
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Stayed one night, very late arrival. The hotel had recently undergone extensive remodeling. The new "Courtyard' look with market area, updated common areas and room updates make this a must stay location in Ann Arbor. While we didn't have time to try the breakfast, there were several customers and the layout was clean and inviting. The bedding and room amenities were terrific. The room and bathroom were very clean and well appointed.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Valhalla, New York
Reviewed 11 July 2011

My husband and I, along with our daughter, stayed for two nights for our visit to the University of Michigan.

The hotel is located in a quiet corporate park setting. The hotel staff was very nice and the hotel is very clean and welcoming. Though there is a cafe off the lobby (a bit pricey), there are many places to eat in the area.

The hotel is about a 10 minute drive to downtown Ann Arbor and U of M.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 6 July 2011

I am an executive assistant for a large company that recently held a 5 day Global Training here at the Ann Arbor Marriott. Our experience here was wonderful. Not one guest out of 45 had any complaints! The staff went over and above to accommodate our guests; leaving gifts in rooms and upgrading rooms to King extended rooms. International guests from around the world had such a pleasant experience here that they vow only to stay at the Ann Arbor Courtyard Marriott again and again while traveling for business. i have experienced the hotel first hand; the rooms are spacious and very clean. The food is wonderful and chic lobby is very inviting. The next time you are visiting Ann Arbor stay at the Courtyard Marriott!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 July 2011

Booked an extended King room, on
The small side but clean with new furnishings. Spacious lobby and common areas. Good breakfast selections.

• Stayed July 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 May 2011

I spent two nights at this hotel as a tag-along on my husband’s business trip. I found it to be a comfortable hotel and I enjoyed my stay.

Hotel layout- I had no issues with the layout of the hotel. I really liked the lobby, which has contemporary décor and a modern feel. There is a computer station where you can print your boarding passes and a large touch screen to display weather, airport delays, etc. I thought the touch screen was pretty nifty. I did observe the bistro area which advertises Star Bucks coffee but I did not get a chance to try the food. I wish the Star Bucks had been open all day, but apparently is only open in the earlier morning hours. The room was easy to find and a short walk from the lobby. My very short interaction with the desk agent was pleasant.

Room- The room we had was VERY clean and that is a big plus for me. Everything had a newly updated feel to it. Modern TV and décor. I didn’t see a spot of dust, dirt, or worn furnishings. The housekeepers did a great job and even changed the sheets for us when I left a note on the bed. However our room was on the small side. The bathroom was a tad cramped with not a lot of room on the sink for makeup, toiletries, etc. But the most important thing was that it was very clean and had been recently updated. The beds were comfortable and the climate easy to control.

Amenities- This hotel obviously caters to business travelers. It appears to do this quite well. I noticed the wireless was a bit slow at times, but overall ran well. It was free, as it should be. There is an indoor pool that looked nice (I didn’t use it but several people were) but I did not see a hot tub area. The location is great and right across from a good sized mall and several restaurants and convenient to the highway. Be careful when you arrive, as the area is under construction and is a bit tricky to locate (you must take a detour to get back to the hotel).

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business