“Almost perfect”

Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Germantown, Maryland
“Almost perfect”
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Stayed here recently for a wedding. The hotel itself is in great condition - the grounds are nice and the lobby area had an open, inviting design. We had no issues with our room. For the most part, it was everything I've come to expect from a Marriott.

However, I must report on one bad experience - our family has dietary restrictions and so we always bring our own food. One morning we met some family in the dining area just off the lobby & asked for a couple of bowls to eat some cereal with the (non-dairy) milk we brought. Right after I received the bowls a food manger of some sort informed us that we were "not allowed to eat our food in the dining area," as there was "food that could be purchased." We had the option of "eating in our room." (how nice) I could immediately tell by the manager's tone that she was not to be reckoned with and that explaining our dietary restrictions would fall on deaf ears. She did relent a bit by saying that we could "eat outside", which turned out to be pleasant, all things considered. I really think that hotels should look to support choices of their guests and not make them feel like second-class citizens just because they don't want to buy a bowl of oatmeal. The dining area was plenty full (though not overcrowded). I still remain shocked at the way I was treated as a guest.

In summary, very nice hotel, but beware if you bring your own food into the dining area!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Gary G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 August 2012

The hotel fits all the needs for a business traveler. I was only there for one night, but I found it to be a very comfortable hotel.

Some highlights
-The bed was extremely comfortable
-The room was very spacious, good TV, good workspace, and a couch with a little table
-The lobby area was well laid out with good meeting spaces

The bathroom really was nothing to write home about. It was clean, but nothing spectacular. There are not a lot of places within walking distance (Wendy's, Damon's, Macaroni Grill), but there are several places a short 5 minute car ride away.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Fenton, Michigan
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We reserved a block of rooms here for our wedding guests. The hotel was well kept up. Decor was very nice. Andrea was wonderful to work with on the group reservation. We had a wonderful experience here.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 21 July 2012

The actual courtyard in this hotel is a very nice place to sit and enjoy coffee or a glass of wine. Variety of nearby restaurants. The Briarwood Mall is a short drive and the location of the shuttle service to the arts fest. Staff is very helpful in recommending local restaurants.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We found ourselves in Ann Arbor after completing a 10 day Circle Tour of Lake Superior. After that adventure it was really nice to be in such a comfortable hotel. The Courtyard Marriott here was quiet, clean and very well located. The staff were helpful and the whole property is beautifully maintained and welcoming.

We stayed two nights, were on the first floor and found the whole experience nearly uniformly positive. The only complaint I have is that the staffing of the "Coffee Shop" part of the The Bistro was spotty. I waited about 15 minutes one evening around 6 pm for someone to help me by pouring two coffees. I could see the coffee pots, and stood there. And the front desk clerk knew I was there. Did she come help? No. Did she get someone to come? No. I suggest that if the Bistro guy is going to go on an extended break then put the coffee urns up on the counter for self-service.

But if you are looking for a comfortable, clean, well located place here it is. Just far enough away from the noise and bustle to be quiet. But close enough to get to the good restaurants and shopping if you want it.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Indiana
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I come to AA regularly for business and I recently switched from the Hampton on Green Road to this Courtyard.
Here's why:

+ Lobby/bar/bistro - this is a great place to do some work on the laptop in comfortable chairs, with wireless access, and beer from the bistro.
+ Outside seating area - this is a cool concept...the outside patio is a nice place to hang out if it's not too hot.
+ Location - it's close to I-94 (but not too) with several good dining options nearby
+ Staff - every time I've need to interact with the staff, they gave me the feeling that they were sincerely trying to help me and not just going through the motions.

- Fitness center is a joke....This is my only complaint. there are a handfull of barbells, two running machines, an elliptical, and stationary bike. It's 1970's reject...

o - althought the rooms are quite nice, they're no better than the Hampton...the lobby/bistro puts this over the Hampton Inns

Room Tip: If you want to use the gym, you're better off finding a different place. Parking lot can get cr...