Before I begin this review I urge you to read any of my other reviews to assure you I am not someone that complains about the littlest things. With that said...
My wife and I stayed the weekend at this hotel for parents' weekend at the University of Michigan. On football weekends in Ann Arbor rooms are at a premium and one should expect to pay the price, which we did. With a quick search the standard nightly weekend price for our room is $99, and about $85 if paid in advance. To give you an idea of football weekend inflation, I paid $455 for 2 nights at this hotel. I don't mind paying this price for a quality room; however, this fell under the "anything but quality" category.
As you approach the entrance, the first thing noticeable is the location of the outdoor ashtrays. State law forbids smoking within 25 feet of a doorway. These ashtrays were less than 10 feet on either side of the entrance, thus putting smokers literally on the doorstep to the hotel. Check-in was acceptable, albeit slow. Our room was clean and appropriately furnished, but with an undersized queen bed. To my knowledge, king beds are not an option at this hotel. Three very small pillows were provided, not much larger than a throw pillow for a couch. When I requested more at the front desk I was given what I asked for, so they ARE available if you ask.
We were not expecting to return to the room on day one after our first night's stay to discover that there is no room cleaning for "short-term" customers. No clean sheets, no bed made, no clean towels, no coffee refill, absolutely nothing. On the back of the key card envelope is a brief explanation of this policy, but we were not informed verbally. If you want cleans towels you need to take the old ones to the front desk to exchange them. Forget about your room being cleaned.
Keep in mind this room cost $455 for TWO nights. A basic continental breakfast, which is standard in most hotels today for much less money, is not provded.
Noise is another issue. The walls and doors are very thin, allowing you to hear every door slam (ours would rattle every time another door in the hall slammed shut), your neighbor's tv and plenty of conversations in the general vicinity of your room.
To sum this review up, I will not stay at another Candlewood Suites, and I would recommend looking elsewhere to anyone considering staying here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come and experience our new Comforts of Home Bedding Collection.The Candlewood Suites Detroit Ann Arbor is nestled in the city of Ann Arbor, the home of the Ann Arbor Art Festival. The hotel is located only 40 miles west of Detroit and close to I-94. Only a hop, skip and jump away you may visit the University of Michigan, Cabela's and Lake Forest Golf Course. Concordia and Eastern Michigan Universities are 10 minutes away. Shop until you drop at Briarwood Mall within mile and enjoy 10 excellent restaurants & Whole Foods Market directly across the street. The moment you enter the hotel you will enjoy the warm comforts of home. Everything from an executive desk to home entertainment helps guests work smart and relax. With two separate phone lines and free high-speed Internet access, you can relax and enjoy the amenities we have to offer. Each room offers a full kitchen, DVD/VCR, and a CD player. Visit our Candlewood Cupboard to purchase meals, snacks and sundry items at value prices. You may also borrow from our video & CD library. If you here for the night or a month, take advantage of our comforts. Complimentary on-site fitness and laundry facility are always available. Domino's World Headquarters, VA Hospital, General Motors, Henry Ford Museum and Purple Rose Theatre are all in proximity. This is life on the road at its best.Pet friendly restrictions and fees apply. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Candlewood Suites - Detroit/Ann Arbor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Candlewood Suites - Detroit/Ann Arbor Hotel Ann Arbor
- Candlewood Suites Ann Arbor
- Candlewood Ann Arbor
- Ann Arbor Candlewood Suites
- Candlewood Suites - Detroit/Ann Arbor Michigan