“Overpriced and Underwhelmed”

Ranked #22 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Grand Haven, Michigan
“Overpriced and Underwhelmed”
Reviewed 11 November 2012

Before I begin this review I urge you to read any of my other reviews to assure you I am not someone that complains about the littlest things. With that said...

My wife and I stayed the weekend at this hotel for parents' weekend at the University of Michigan. On football weekends in Ann Arbor rooms are at a premium and one should expect to pay the price, which we did. With a quick search the standard nightly weekend price for our room is $99, and about $85 if paid in advance. To give you an idea of football weekend inflation, I paid $455 for 2 nights at this hotel. I don't mind paying this price for a quality room; however, this fell under the "anything but quality" category.

As you approach the entrance, the first thing noticeable is the location of the outdoor ashtrays. State law forbids smoking within 25 feet of a doorway. These ashtrays were less than 10 feet on either side of the entrance, thus putting smokers literally on the doorstep to the hotel. Check-in was acceptable, albeit slow. Our room was clean and appropriately furnished, but with an undersized queen bed. To my knowledge, king beds are not an option at this hotel. Three very small pillows were provided, not much larger than a throw pillow for a couch. When I requested more at the front desk I was given what I asked for, so they ARE available if you ask.

We were not expecting to return to the room on day one after our first night's stay to discover that there is no room cleaning for "short-term" customers. No clean sheets, no bed made, no clean towels, no coffee refill, absolutely nothing. On the back of the key card envelope is a brief explanation of this policy, but we were not informed verbally. If you want cleans towels you need to take the old ones to the front desk to exchange them. Forget about your room being cleaned.

Keep in mind this room cost $455 for TWO nights. A basic continental breakfast, which is standard in most hotels today for much less money, is not provded.

Noise is another issue. The walls and doors are very thin, allowing you to hear every door slam (ours would rattle every time another door in the hall slammed shut), your neighbor's tv and plenty of conversations in the general vicinity of your room.

To sum this review up, I will not stay at another Candlewood Suites, and I would recommend looking elsewhere to anyone considering staying here.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank topfan
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Detroit/Ann Arbor, responded to this review, 25 November 2012
Dear topfan,

Thanks for your review and staying with us. I am sorry to hear you were not happy with our hotel.We are an extended stay hotel, and we do only offer housekeeping weekly.However if you need it daily, that can be arranged for a nominal fee.

While we do not offer a free breakfast we do have the Candlewood cupboard where you can purchase something to cook up in your kitchenette.

I understand that this concept might not work so well for some. However most of our guests are long term and it works out quite well for others.

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Sioux City, Iowa
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Always stay here when visiting our son and his family. Right next door to their apartment. Hairdryer did not work and toilet seat was loose. They are remodeling but did not bother us as guests. Enjoy the free access to washer and dryer. Will continue to stay there but reserve early because of multiple activities in this college town.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Roseland, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 April 2012

The hotel is located at a very good location. It is right in the middle of a market, a supermarket and many eating joints.

It has a in house grocery store that serves that serves good purpose.

But that is where the good things end, the infrastructure is poor. The building is old, housekeeping is done once a week, the gym is the smallest i've ever seen. Everything in the rooms from the TV's to the heating system is outdated. In fact the channels on the TV were so unclear that i dot not even switch it on after the first day.

I went around town a little and would suggest folks to take up a place near the Michigan University. Downtown Michigan is very good.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Detroit/Ann Arbor, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Dear Junaid W,

Thank you for your feedback. We hope you enjoyed the location of our hotel as well as the in house store. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received quality which was unacceptable and apologize you were not satisfied with the hotel conditions. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reference # 27694677
Leeds
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I have stayed here 3 times in the past and would have given it a 5* rating. Sadly, on this occasion, things were not just right.
The hotel is well located near the freeway but just far enough away that its not too noisy. The car parking is excellent. Its about 3 miles from downtown so easy to get there as well.
My room was warm (good since its minus 3c outside) on arrival.
Now I have a few issues.
1 - My room was half clean/half not so clean....(see below) - the kitchen area was very clean so no issues there.
2 - This was a no smoking room but evidence of smoking was very clear and there were those awful brown marks in the bathroom where thoughtless customers had put down cigarettes on the bathroom surfaces
3 - My biggest issue, when I went to bed, I noticed a bright pink lump of gum stuck on the bedpost!!! - How on earth the cleaner missed this is beyond belief - Disgusting.
4 - The alarm in the bedroom had been set (presume by the previous guest) to 2.30AM and left running. I was therefore awakened at 2.30AM.
5 - When I finally got out of bed and into the shower, I noticed that the clock in the bedroom was showing the time to be 7am when in actual fact, the time was 6am. This is just careless from housekeeping who should check these things.

On reflection, I should have complained, particularly about the gum on the bedpost but, I was tired and also in my bedclothes.
Overall, the place is fine BUT these odd things let it down on this occasion.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank JohnG1959
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 2 December 2011

This hotel is great. I would say it deserves a solid 3 star. It's clean, somewhat updated (no flat screen tv, but amenities nice), comfortable bed with multiple types of pillows available. It has a gym, a little store with snacks that's open later, and now they have a huge delivery service for food that will deliver until 4am! The best part about this hotel is that it is within walking distance to the stadium (about a mile). I highly recommend staying here for a visit to Ann Arbor.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed 4 November 2011

We actually had no idea how close to the Stadium we actually were and we saved time and money and actually walked to the game on a Saturday!! (It's about a mile and a half) The hotel is not a "grand dame", but it was clean and comfortable and very close to Campus and Downtown Ann Arbor for a reasonable price.

It is an extended stay, so they do not clean the room daily (which was fine with us). We did get fresh towels the second night, just asked the front desk clerk and he was happy to oblige. He also came up with a couple of extra pillows for us!

The full size fridge and microwave came in handy as well!!! We would stay again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Seaside
Reviewed 3 November 2011

This is the 2nd time we've been here since 2009, and the place is showing its age. It's an OK place to be, and it's convenient for us, but...water pressure lousy, trash in the halls all night, and the overall appearance is not what it was. It needs an overhaul to be sure. Staff was nice but we didn't need much from them. Like I said, this was OK. Just OK.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family