“Very pleased with my stay”

Candlewood Suites - Detroit/Ann Arbor
Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Reviewed 19 July 2010

I just spent 2 weeks at the Candlewood Ann Arbor. I've always been kind of leery about trying Candlewood Suites because they are usually so inexpensive but I decided to finally beak down and try one. Wow....I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. ...! I've stayed in pretty much every other extended stay brand hotel and this one easily ranked up there as one of my favorites, especially for the price.

My room was a 2 twin bed suite. I'd never seen twin (aka single) beds in a hotel before so automatically assumed twin meant double...ooops...so it was quite a shock to see these 2 tiny beds in my room. I could have gotten a different room but it would have been $10 a night more so my wife and I pulled a Lucy and Ricky Ricardo and slept in separate beds. The beds were really small, almost like a child's bed and I barely fit, in fact my feet hung off the end and it's not like I'm a giant I'm 6'1. Beyond the size of the bed I didn't care for the mattress either. Others here have raved about the mattresses but they just weren't my cup of tea, too springy for my taste.

The beds we really the only negative though. MY room was very clean, the housekeepers really do an excellent job here and I'm picky when it comes to room cleanliness. My blanket had some spaghetti sauce stains but other then that everything else was quite clean, especially for an extended stay. From my experience extended stay type hotels usually are not as clean as normal hotels since the rooms get cleaned more often. You only get housekeeping once a week in extended stays.

The furnishings in the room were a little old and worn but everything worked well. My room had a dvd player, fridge, microwave, dishwasher, (2) burner cooktop, kitchen utensils and wired high speed Internet. The Internet worked quite well for my entire stay and at a little over 1mbps the speeds were acceptable, in fact they were better then I expected for the price of the hotel.

The hotel has a lot of nice amenities like FREE laundry, just keep in mind the laundry room gets super busy so you might need to get up very early to do it. Also they have a decent fitness center and a pantry with soda's and snacks that is based on the honor system which was convenient.

The hotel was busy and the parking lot was pretty much full every day I was there but I really never heard a peep from anyone, my stay was quiet and uneventful.

I loved the location and there is a Whole Foods just across the street which was a big plus..!

All in all I really enjoyed my stay and the price was unbeatable. From now on I'll be staying in Candlewoods any time I run across them in my travels.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 16 January 2010

this was everything I'd expect from a Candlewood. room was nice and clean and comfortable. Hotel was very quiet.
Work out room appeared that everything was operational.
Front desk staff nice and friendly at check in and check out.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 January 2010

My non-smoking room reeked of cigarette smoke the entire time I was there; when I got home I had to wash all of my clothing, even the items I hadn't worn, to get rid of the stench!

If it hadn't been for the stink, I would have liked the place. Comfortable bed, good location (on 2 bus routes, near a Panera and Whole Foods), the kitchenette even had a dishwasher. The walls are thin (could hear the neighbor's tv), but it would have been all right if not for the smoke.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 October 2009

It was a 4 day visit in September. The room was remodeled, kitchen was nice - good sized refrigerator, close to shopping (Meijer's is a cool store). It's a 1.4 mile walk to the "Big House" if you are there on a Saturday in the fall (Chrysler Arena would be close also). The service staff was nice, but this hotel only cleans rooms once per week, so make sure and hang your towels. The rooms are a good size. The gym is fairly simple and there is a snack store attached.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 September 2009

The room had fleas and a strong sent of dog poop cleaner. They do not segregate the pet rooms from non-pet, like they do with smoking rooms.

We had stayed there several times and not had too many bad experience, but this stay was a flea bite night.

My wife still has scars on her legs from the fleas.

I received a survey and replied, but never heard back from them.

It could be a reasonable place if they would either ban pets or have pet friendly rooms.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2009

Being a Platinum member I never expected to be given a room on the third floor next to the dryer vent which sounded like a 747 taking off at JFK!! There was also dog hair embedded in the recliner and carpeting and black snarly hair in the bath tub. When I approached the management I was given some bs as if she had no clue what caused the issue; very unattentive! At 10am some scarry woman with missy teeth came in the room without knocking! turns out it was the exec housekeeper!; guess there's absolutly no communication between the morning management and housekeeping. STAY AWAY FROM THE CANDLEWOOD IN AA!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 June 2009

Very good for extended stay for business or leisure. Nice units but fairly small with stove microwave, full size refrigerator, etc. Washing facilities were clean and the small store was convenient. Swimming pool was only item missing. That's okay as we generally don't use the pool at other hotels. Can hear movement of tenants above but not too bad.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple