I just spent 2 weeks at the Candlewood Ann Arbor. I've always been kind of leery about trying Candlewood Suites because they are usually so inexpensive but I decided to finally beak down and try one. Wow....I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. ...! I've stayed in pretty much every other extended stay brand hotel and this one easily ranked up there as one of my favorites, especially for the price.
My room was a 2 twin bed suite. I'd never seen twin (aka single) beds in a hotel before so automatically assumed twin meant double...ooops...so it was quite a shock to see these 2 tiny beds in my room. I could have gotten a different room but it would have been $10 a night more so my wife and I pulled a Lucy and Ricky Ricardo and slept in separate beds. The beds were really small, almost like a child's bed and I barely fit, in fact my feet hung off the end and it's not like I'm a giant I'm 6'1. Beyond the size of the bed I didn't care for the mattress either. Others here have raved about the mattresses but they just weren't my cup of tea, too springy for my taste.
The beds we really the only negative though. MY room was very clean, the housekeepers really do an excellent job here and I'm picky when it comes to room cleanliness. My blanket had some spaghetti sauce stains but other then that everything else was quite clean, especially for an extended stay. From my experience extended stay type hotels usually are not as clean as normal hotels since the rooms get cleaned more often. You only get housekeeping once a week in extended stays.
The furnishings in the room were a little old and worn but everything worked well. My room had a dvd player, fridge, microwave, dishwasher, (2) burner cooktop, kitchen utensils and wired high speed Internet. The Internet worked quite well for my entire stay and at a little over 1mbps the speeds were acceptable, in fact they were better then I expected for the price of the hotel.
The hotel has a lot of nice amenities like FREE laundry, just keep in mind the laundry room gets super busy so you might need to get up very early to do it. Also they have a decent fitness center and a pantry with soda's and snacks that is based on the honor system which was convenient.
The hotel was busy and the parking lot was pretty much full every day I was there but I really never heard a peep from anyone, my stay was quiet and uneventful.
I loved the location and there is a Whole Foods just across the street which was a big plus..!
All in all I really enjoyed my stay and the price was unbeatable. From now on I'll be staying in Candlewoods any time I run across them in my travels.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Candlewood Suites® Detroit-Ann Arbor is Your Space to Settle in! Enjoy our fully-appointed, spacious suites with a full kitchen, Comforts of Home bedding, and a flexible work/dining space. All guests enjoy our complimentary on-site laundry, our Candlewood Cupboard, our Lending Locker, and our fantastic on-site gym. Business travelers appreciate our close proximity to local businesses: The University of Michigan, Domino's World Headquarters, Toyota, and the VA Hospital. Leisure travelers love our proximity to UM Stadium, Crisler Arena, and Briarwood Mall. This metro Detroit hotel’s location is just minutes from downtown Ann Arbor shopping, dining, and entertainment. Don't miss the UM Museum of Art, Cobblestone Farm, and Nichols Arboretum. Our hotel in Ann Arbor is a beautiful place to visit! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, getaroom.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Candlewood Suites - Detroit/Ann Arbor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Candlewood Suites - Detroit/Ann Arbor Hotel Ann Arbor
- Candlewood Suites Ann Arbor
- Candlewood Ann Arbor
- Ann Arbor Candlewood Suites
- Candlewood Suites - Detroit/Ann Arbor Michigan