“Cool place, good food and great service!”

The Brownstone Inn Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Au Train
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Casual - cozy - rustic atmosphere
Battle Creek, Michigan
“Cool place, good food and great service!”
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

We were vacationing close by, and were given a recommendation to go to this restaurant. Very glad we did. This place was built in 1946 and still had a very cool ambience. Food was outstanding and our waitress was fantastic. We found the place to be very friendly and very accommodating. My husband ordered the perch special, while I ordered the whitefish. No one is going to walk away hungry from this place. I didn't think it was overpriced for what we received. I've paid just as much at lesser quality places. Highly recommend this for families and couples if you just want good food and a cool atmosphere.

1 Thank Mary Z

Kalamazoo
“Generally good but not memorable”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Stopped by the Brownstone after eating here some years ago. It was good, I had the spinach lasagna and my partner had the whitefish. My lasagna was barely warm and had to be sent back to zap in the microwave. My friend's whitefish was good but not outstanding although she said the rest was done just right. For the Munising area, this might be an upscale eatery - but I found it better than bar food, but not memorable.

1 Thank cbinkz
Cincinnati Ohio
“Nice atmosphere with good average food”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Restaurant service was slow. Food was what I would say is average typical bar food. White fish was good but not exceptional, not as fresh as could be.
The atmosphere is relaxing and the restuarant was close to where we stayed.

1 Thank luv2wander-7
“Keep driving.”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We had stopped in for lunch, had previously eaten in Munising a couple of days earlier and wanted to try something new. Immediately aftering being seated I had mentioned to my wife that I could see this place on an episode of Bar Rescue. I was right. I ordered a hot ham sandwich, my wife, a cod sandwich. I recieved my sandwich on a dated plate, similar to that you would find at a garage sale. My ham was obviously prepackaged lunch meat sloppily thrown onto a flat top, then my bun. No condiments or cheese were to be found. The fries were what appeared to be a lazy attempt at hand cut. They were soggy and appeared to have been prepared, frozen then reheated for my eating pleasure. The really winner of my meal was the vinegar based coleslaw which can be found at any church potluck. As for my beloved, two Van De Camps type frozen fish filets deep fried until they were hollow. Same side dishes for her. I almost forgot, our appetizer of fried mushrooms. Gordon Foods frozen as it appeared and served on a salad plate. Dipping sauce on request. I guess when you're the only food joint for miles, quality isn't important. Also, we paid $40 for this divine meal. The scariest thing about this place, they serve duck. Go to Munising to eat!

2 Thank Larryfeltersnatch
Eloy, Arizona
“What a find after a day of travel”
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

Greeted at the door with a pleasant smile and seating instructions. Very pleasant & quiet atmosphere with quiet music playing. We received our drinks quickly after we were informed of the evening specials. I ordered the liver & onions, the small portion & my husband ordered the taco special with sweet potatoes & goat cheese. Both entrees were delicious. The liver was cooked exactly as ordered.
The prices were very reasonable, the wine list acceptable & there is plenty of parking for RVs or motorhomes.