Extended Stay America - Detroit - Auburn Hills - Featherstone Rd.
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Auburn Hills
Alto, MI
“Excellent Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2009

After reading reviews on this and many other web-sites bashing the Extended Stay Deluxe of Auburn Hills, I was very disappointed when one of those on-line reservation sites placed us here. At that point, I swore I would never take that chance again, and even considered just eating the cost and getting a room elsewhere. But, after a reassuring phone conversation with the receptionist, we went ahead with the reservation.

A great decision. Upon entry, the hotel appeared to have been updated recently and I would considered it very comparable to one of those other hotel/motel chains that charge $30-50 more. And much to our surprise, we had been upgraded to a room with a king size bed. The room was spacious, clean, and relatively quiet with a good layout..

The hotel only offers coffee in the morning, but for the price difference we could eat breakfast and lunch elsewhere and still be ahead. There is a small cardio room, and an outdoor pool (closed for the season).

I will stay here again next time I am in town for a concert. It is a definite value for those not needing bells, whistles, and pampering. If you expect high-end service that you get at one of the H's, then pay the $100-200 and go there (next door). Otherwise, take it for what it is and consider it a great value (in our case $48 after tax).

And if there's something wrong, go to the front desk and try working it out instead of having a miserable experience, paying for it, and complaining later.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
buckhead
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2009

The room was dirty. the hotel staff was unprofessional and not helpful at all. The bathroom was not cleaned. Do not stay here

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Kansas City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2009

Great Place to stay. The past few times we traveled to MI we stayed at the Hilton right next door. With the economy being what it is we done some shopping around for a place that is a little more affordable. When we checked Extended Stay Hotels, I couldn't believe the price, it cost half what we normally pay. The Room was Clean, Quiet, and much bigger than any hotel we've ever stayed at. The Kitchenette was a huge bonus, we travelled with a teenager and a one year old so the full frig was a much needed surprise! The staff was very friendly, and the coffee yummy! We will definately stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
nyc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2009

It was not as bad as I expected from prior reviews but heat did not work in 18deg weather (staff was great about the complaint),shower drained slow, small bath rooms, mold/mildew all over bath tiles made for an uncomfortable shower.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — mold/mildew!
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
Byron Center
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2008

I had come online here to check out reviews and was upset thinking I was going to stay in another disgusting hotel. I was happy to find that it was a very nice and clean hotel. My room was very nice and the front desk people were very helpful. I did have a problem with the hair blower overheating and shutting down. But, I called the front desk and the person apologized and said it would be taken care of. When I returned to the hotel that evening, it had already been replaced. I talked to an employee about my fears of staying there and he said the hotel is now under new management and they are trying their best to take care of any problems that might come up. I enjoyed my 5 day stay at the hotel and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — The cleanliness, friendlines of staff and location to my business needs
  • Disliked — I was driving a motorcoach and would have liked to walk to a restaurant, but most restaurants are not within walking distance.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
sweny,tx
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2008

The property was very dirty. Staff very unprofessional. DO NOT welcome children. Several items in the rooms did not work. Poor management. Checking in took a long time. Rooms not ready at check in. They did not want to pay a "houskeeper overtime" to make rooms presentable.

• Stayed July 2008
Portland, OR
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2008

I am a 20-something guy who stayed at this place for more than two weeks because it was one of the few places in Auburn Hills recommended by my employer.
The good thing about this place - located very close to where I work at Auburn Hills, walking distance to a Tim Hortons (if you like Tim Hortons for food), located close to the Interstate exit.

Bad thing about this place - dirty bed linen (Both the blankets provided to me had disgusting looking stains and cigarette holes in them), Hot water in the bathroon shower and the sink did not work properly (I had to boil water on the stove top to get hot water for shaving; I complained to the front desk but they never fixed the problem; instead they told me that "there was a trick to it" and that I should turn the tap only by the right amount and not all the way up), the pots and pans in the kitchen were dirty and almost unusable (only two utensils were provided and both had burnt grease sticking on their cooking surfaces; (needless to say that you cannot even cook eggs in them; that is why I was thankful for the nearby Tim Hortons), housekeeping is erratic at best (I was told that they would clean my room every wednesday but they skipped the first wednesday and cleaned my room only the next wednesday ( and I guess that was because I specifically asked for it that morning).
Laundry - washer and dryer - are shared by everyone of the floor. And they work pretty well. You will need quarters to operate them.
Enough parkinng around the building.
Fitness facility is practically a joke here. There are three machines there - one treadmill, one stairclimber, and one elliptical. I like to keep myself fit and I am a very good runner. I used this facility a couple of times but otherwise, I used a professional gym in Troy, MI (I managed to get a temporary guest pass).
The complimentary breakfast at this hotel is minimal at best. Apples, Waffles, Bagels, awful coffee (I suggest that you brew your own coffee in your room).
If your work involves accessing the internet, please be informed that this place would charge you $4.99 per 24 hours to access the web. This charge was waived for me because of some special arrangement of the hotel with my employer.
Overall, it is a cheap place (it is hard to beat their prices). You get what you pay for. If I were spending money out of my own pocket, I would have never stayed here. I would much rather pay a few dollars more and stay at a nicer and more comfortable place.

• Liked — Location close to the workplace and the interstate
  • Disliked — miserable place to stay for longer than a week
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business