“Fabulous Hotel and Awesome Location”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Auburn Hills
toronto
“Fabulous Hotel and Awesome Location”
Reviewed 2 September 2010

I travel to that part of the woods at least 5 or 6 times a year. Sometimes alone for work, and more often now, I’m combining business with some leisure time with my family. I’m making my business trips into mini-vacations for us (plus 2 little ones).

I used to stay at other hotel chains (Country Inn or Marriott) at a more economical price (about $30 USD cheaper), however, I've come to the realization that my happiness and safety during the stay is worth the extra money I'm paying at this fabulous Holiday Inn Express.

Here are a few things about the hotel:

1. Location! Location! Location! Great lakes is right across the street. I love the location. Any free time I have, I’m dashing across the parking lot to shop.
2. The staff - super friendly and accommodating. I was greeted by every single staff I saw throughout my stay.
3. Great breakfast. They have hot food, dairy products…tremendous variety.
4. The rooms are fabulous, clean, quiet, equipped with a fridge and fantastic bathroom. The walls are a little thin. During one of our past stays, we could hear our next door neighbor. HOWEVER, we’ve since then asked for quiet rooms because our kids are extremely light sleepers. They’ve honored that request. I feel that most hotels really just “fit us to the rooms”, instead of fitting the rooms to our needs. This Holiday Inn is different.
5. If you sign up as a priority member, you can check out at 2:00pm instead of 12:00pm.
6. The kids loved the pool.

A couple of things to note…During my last stay, the hotel was fully booked due to an Aerosmith concert in the area. I have to say that my husband and I were extremely worried about the noise level and rowdy guests because we do have young children with us. However, we were pleasantly surprised. By 10:30pm, everything was quiet. We heard very minimal noise from our neighbors and had a great night sleep.

I also want to be honest and say that as a priority club member I have not been offered any upgrades at this hotel so far. While a number of my colleagues have stated that while travelling and staying at other Holiday Inn Express hotels as priority club members they get upgrades to suites on a regular basis.

All and all, this is a great hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Michigan
Reviewed 31 August 2010

I spent one night here recently with my two kids in tow after a concert at the Palace of Auburn Hills so that we could spend an additional day in the area to shop at the Great Lakes Crossing mall for back to school deals. The location is perfect for easy access to the mall, numerous restaurants, I-75, and mere minutes away from the Palace. The front desk staffer at check-in was welcoming and friendly and I was pleasantly surprised to learn our room had been upgraded to a king suite at no added cost as a priority club member. The desk clerk was very considerate to double check that a king suite with a sofabed would be workable for us instead of the originally booked 2-queen room.

In addition to the king sized bed, the suite was furnished with a sofabed for two, coffee table and small dining table with two chairs in the living room area, work desk with office style chair across from the king bed in the bedroom area, dresser with wall mounted flat screen TV next to the desk, suitcase stand, and a small closet between the bedroom area and living room area. It's worth noting that the king suite was studio style, with no partial privacy wall or door to separate the living area from the bedroom area, but this didn't pose an issue for us as the snoring DH wasn't along for this trip and the kids didn't need a buffer zone from his snoring to sleep well. :) The only sounds we heard that night were an occasional vehicle passing along nearby I-75 which our room overlooked, not a big deal for us with our traveling white noise machine to muffle exterior traffic sounds. A compact kitchenette with small fridge, sink and microwave was located between the living room area and bathroom. The bathroom had a large glass doored shower (not a shower/tub combo), toilet equipped with bidet and seat heater features which both dismayed and entertained my kids, lol, a granite counter top sink/vanity with extendable makeup mirror, and a plethora of travel sized toiletry/bathing items, including mouth wash, spot remover and makeup remover wipes, and the more standard shampoo, conditioner and lotion mini-bottles. The room's doorbell and switches to toggle on a "do not disturb" or "please make up the room" indicator light to signal housekeeping were also well thought-out and much appreciated by us once I convinced the kids to stop playing with those switches. :)

Our suite was spacious, the furnishing were comfortable, and all was spotlessly clean with one unfortunate exception that I didn't discover until the middle of the night. The extra blanket for the sofabed needed a very thorough washing because it had several stains/spots on it of the "unmentionable" variety. :( The blanket had been put away in the zippered plastic storage bag and stored on the closet shelf in this unfortunate condition, and I didn't realize it until I took it out of the bag to add another layer to the sofabed's already in place sheets and covers when the room had cooled down more as the outside temperature dipped into the 50s over night. Rather than disrupt my kids' sleep by requesting a replacement blanket be brought to our room, I opted to put the blanket aside and made do without it by using the partial bed spread/overlay from the king bed as an additional layer on the sofabed. The front desk clerk was very apologetic and chagrined when I discreetly mentioned the dirty blanket the following morning at check-out, and she assured me it would be taken care of and addressed with housekeeping.

We didn't partake of the hotel's included breakfast, not because it wasn't appealing to us, but because we opted to sleep in some and had brought single serving cereal and milk packs along with us to eat breakfast in our room instead before checking out and heading over to the mall. We also didn't get a chance to go for a swim at the hotel's indoor pool but would definitely try to make time to do so on a return trip.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and one blanket won't completely overshadow all the other wonderful positives of our stay. The hotel's amenities, welcoming and courteous front desk staff, and convenient location for nearby concert venues and shopping, would be very hard to surpass.

2 Thank roadtrippervoyageur
Toronto
Reviewed 31 August 2010

We went to this hotel because of its proximity to the mall Great Lakes Crossing. The hotel was fully booked and we had people in a neighboring room that were literally up all night. I could hear when they were watching TV, when they were talking, and when they were engaging in other activities I won`t mention. It was one of the worst sleeps I have ever had. I kept thinking that they would call it a night and go to sleep. They kept going until after 5am. The walls in this hotel are paper thin. Everything else about the hotel was great. It`s too bad they didn`t put more money into building the walls.

Toronto
Reviewed 23 August 2010

Had a great 2 night stay at the Holiday Inn Express Auburn Hills. Now this is a hotel that is hard to rate. That is because although it is definitely a 3* hotel (no bar, limited lobby, limited extra service), it performs that role so brilliantly one wants to rate it higher.

Check-in was a breeze with friendly staff who quickly accomodated a request for a room change. The rooms were comfortable (although with an odd odour - possibly from the rug cleaning products). FREE INTERNET (take that Four Seasons). Free coffee and tea around the clock and often even cookies were available. Even had a 3 computer business centre where I was able to print for free.

Highly recommend this hotel for die-hard shoppers (including my teenagers)

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 21 August 2010

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, Auburn Hills, in June. We had the best sleep ever in any hotel. I talked to the front desk person and asked where the hotel purchased pillows, she gave me the name of the Corporate sales manager, Tammy Lynn. She asked her General manager if I could buy 2 pillows. Randy said no, I will send them free of charge to him. I have never had any hotel offer 2 free pillows and free delivery. I will always stay at this hotel when I travel in the area. Thanks again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2010

I stayed here for one week on the 12 July. I am from Scotland, and the welcome from Amy, was greatly appreciated, after the long haul flight. The hotel is close to all the amenities you need ( food, drink & shopping - in that order). I will be going back there from the 11th to 22nd August for the Dream Cruise week at Woodward - service is far superior to that in my previous stays at the Crowne Plaza on Opdyke Rd.
I can't understand the 'racest' element in the previous review - sounds like the 'customer' was waiting for a comment and imagined the wrong context. Perhaps they misunderstood the reference to "have a nice day" and thout she meant "screw you - you ethnic minority low life".

Well you never know - could be !!

Thanks HIE

Regards Mitch

• Stayed June 2010
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 20 July 2010

As a government worker I have traveled all over the United States however, this stay was different. I have received numerous community awards for my service to the public. Amy the front desk manager made assumptions about me based upon my skin color. She was also kind enough to have the local sheriff's throw me out of my room because I questioned her level of professionalism. Based upon other comments by other reviewers it is clear that she is not serving the hotel nor its clientele. Oh, I did call the corporate office and they said I would get a return call in 48 hours. It has been over 10 days and no return call. Go figure.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business