“Service with a smile”

Crowne Plaza Auburn Hills
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Auburn Hills
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

This is my first time at this hotel since the conversion from a Holiday Inn years ago. I was referred to this hotel by its sister hotel in Arlington Va near my house. The company that owns this hotel is BF Saul and I have found their hotels in Arlington to be quality places. With this inundation I decided to try this hotel.

Adrian at the front desk made our stay a joy and I knew I had made the right choice to try it. Our room was nicely redone from the old holiday inn room. The bed was great and I liked the coffee in room. Not the ordinary crapy coffee that makes you buy the better coffee in the restaurant. Amenities were a nice up graded brand. Every time we would come off we were greeted by the desk. The hotel has quite a bit a wear and is a little worn. The only access to the pool is thru a fire escape stairs from the second floor. Pool towels are sparse and a couple of times there were none.

I have stayed at the Hilton near this hotel many times and will now have to add this to my choice when in the area.

The only negative to our visit was the restaurant. It is a wanna be Bennigan's and does a poor job. I would recommend avoiding the food at this hotel. It is obvious the restaurant is not run by the owners. I think the restaurant gives the hotel a black eye.

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Crazyoldman2006

Reviewed 15 June 2014

This is our second stay at this hotel. We were in the area checking out the Great Lakes Crossing Outlets up the road.
The rooms are a little on the small size, but clean, which is what matters most to me. Thy do have an indoor pool, hot tub and sauna area which was nice for our kids. We did not eat at the restaurant on site, but the breakfast smelled great!
It's a good value to be so close to the the outlet mall and the palace for concerts.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank au322
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This is a very average hotel. It was a little dated in places and the room service was large in quantity and low in quality.

I would recommend this for a one or two night stay. The onsite restaurant seemed to be popular although I did not try this.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Paulo82UK
CPAuburnHills, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Auburn Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. Convenient access to the interstate is indeed an advantage. We're constantly working to improve everyone's experience with us, your insights will be most helpful.
Please consider us should your travels bring you back to Auburn Hills.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Wow! I can say nothing but great things during our stay at the Crowne Plaze Hotel in Auburn Hills, and the service, impeccable.

There were two gentlemen in particular that worked the front desk that were exceptional, Adrian and Mashawn --- they were on top of everything and always greeted my family with friendly smiles.

If you need a hotel in the Auburn Hills Michigan area, I would recommend the Crowne Plaza of Auburn Hills.

Dan

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dan D
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Hotel is easy to find off the expressway and is in a secure location. Room was clean and staff was efficient and friendly. Workout room has modern equipment. Restaurant inside hotel was a pleasant surprise - good food for a fair price.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CarlyR73
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed here the night before our wedding, and the night of our wedding. We had several rooms booked under our name - so one night was complimentary.
The "Honeymoon suite" was not really anything impressive. It was a little bigger than an average hotel room, and had a really Large deep hot tub that was also the shower - so you had to climb stairs to get to the shower, then step deeply into it... weird. It was a little dated.
The rest of the rooms, as well as the bedding and everything else in our room is recently re-done. So it was clean, comfortable. Some rooms have 'starbucks' in room, others have a different brand... depends on the room I guess. quirky.
What I liked was they offer a 'bridal suite' to get ready in the day of. We took advantage of this, had hair / make up done on site. We ordered food up, (you can't bring outside food in), it was a rip off... I sent it back. They sent up a pathetic excuse of a 'fruit tray' (cantelope, musk melon, watermelon... THATS IT. for $45... I thought it was just a garnish....) And a cheese tray with 'pre sliced' cheese placed in a row... another $45. I refused the food... we ordered from the pub. The food was good - and cheaper then BOTH the crappy trays they tried to pass off on us. They did send up some sandwiches to say sorry... so that was appreciated - but, really... those trays shouldn't even be offered if that's all they can do.
The following day, we had a brunch for our guests. The food was good, but I didn't appreciate paying FULL price for children. No child price was really irritating when brunch was $18/pp. Whatever... it's a wedding.. you get to the point where you just start burning money. lol.

My husband had asked that no one go in our room, he put the do not disturb sign on our door the day of the wedding... he told me there was 3 times over the weekend they entered... even though the do not disturb sign was on. (Ummm.. honeymoon suite....) we weren't in the room, but to come home and see someone had been in the room when you didn't want that was upsetting.

All of our guests enjoyed the hotel. The pool was a nice feature for all the families. The brunch was good. The hotel was booked up the day of our wedding - so there was so much going on.

we had hotel bags for our guests, on Sunday I knew there were a few left over so I asked for them so I could give them to guests coming to brunch who had stayed elsewhere- they had one left - but it was completely picked over. Really don't appreciate the hotel staff tearing into the hotel bags while our event is still going on. SHame!

They really sold us on the hotel points program in planning the wedding... I don't know what I bothered. Even with 30 rooms booked, and 2 events.... we barely have enough for one free night in a crappy middle of no where hotel. ah well.

Decent job, the hotel looks nice, the guests were happy... behind the scenes there were a few things that were annoying but... all in all... it worked out.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MrsKzy
CPAuburnHills, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Auburn Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience at our hotel. We appreciate the many positives you’ve made light of, as well as our opportunities. Much has changed since October, with much more to come. I have reviewed this survey with my staff in an effort to improve the quality of future stays at our hotel.We look forward to the chance to show our new look should your travels bring you back to Auburn Hills.

Chuck DeSantis

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Where do I begin..... 13 rooms were booked for a wedding, bringing a significant amount of money to this hotel. The room for the bride and groom was paid for by a wedding patron as a gift. That patron's credit card was stolen 2 weeks prior to the wedding; the groom was able to get in to the room before his wedding and when he brought his bride back, they were locked out- and were told that it was because the stolen card was declined (why this was not told to them upon check-in and they were allowed in at first is beyond me). I personally charged my card so they could get in and then within 2 minutes, the patron who was supposed to pay went to the front desk and together- we were told that my card was not charged and hers was. Of course, after checking my account- there was a charge from the Crowne Plaza. Then, the grandmother of the groom went and decided to pay for the groom's room (as well as the sister of the groom's room).... so the bride and groom's room was charged to 3 separate people, and the sister's room was charged to 2 people. Another wedding patron used her card to secure her room and paid in cash in the morning- lo and behold her card was charged- so 3 rooms were charged as 6 rooms. After speaking with the manager, I was told that my money would be returned within 5 to 7 business days. Unacceptable. Now I have to waste my time, my bank's time and the person in accounting's time trying to get this rectified. I should have been told that by the front desk worker the minute the gift patron fixed the mistake. I was told by the front desk that my card would NOT be charged. I am livid at the lack of responsibility and education in hotel policy from the front desk. She blatantly lied to me regarding my card being charged... especially when I ASKED her. And how 1 room can be allowed to be paid for by 3 people- and for the front desk to not say a WORD about it, and allow it to be paid for 3 times- is OUTRAGEOUS. Beware if you book here.... they have no problem immediately taking your money but take their sweet time correcting discrepancies and won't tell you about it, probably in hopes no one will notice. Not only did I not stay at this hotel to begin with, but I will NEVER stay here; and I will encourage EVERYONE I know (many of whom are getting married within the next year) not to stay here or book a wedding here. CROOKS!

Room Tip: Find another hotel! There are several in the area with no rudeness, better prices and more HONEST.