Extended Stay America - Detroit - Auburn Hills - I -75
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Auburn Hills
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Excellent extended stay hotel. I am in room 203, and was very angry at Adam, because he refused to give me a key to my room, even though I was locked out of my room (I had accidentally left my room key and cell phone in my room). However, it wasn't his fault, there was some sort of misunderstanding and I am no longer angry at him.
Overall, I believe that this is a top-notch hotel. In my opinion, it should be ranked #1 of 16, not #8 of sixteen. Clean rooms, friendly staff, and a great place overall. I am very impressed.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
RDO_Sarah_L, Owner at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Auburn Hills - I -75, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2012

Thank you for your review. I want to start by apologizing the misunderstanding regarding your room key. I can understand how frustrating that would be and I apologize for the confusion. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. Thank you for your kind words. We are happy to have you staying with us.

There are newer reviews for Extended Stay America - Detroit - Auburn Hills - I -75

Reviewed 5 October 2012

I had a wonderful time at the extended stay, they offer a great service. It is a very nice clean place to stay. Extended stay is the best hotel I have ever stayed at. I'm very happy they have extended stays all over America, because my job requires me to travel a lot. At this location they have very friendly service, great leadership from Sandy, and Jason from the front desk is wonderful. All of the employees are great! I was very impressed with my stay and I would advise other people to stay here.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Sarah L, Owner at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Auburn Hills - I -75, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2012

Thank you very much for your recent posting. It was wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I was so happy to hear that Sandy, Jason and staff took such great care of you. We are committed to providing great customer service and it sounds like we delivered. We appreciate your business and hope to have you back soon!

Reviewed 8 September 2012

I booked this hotel for about $440 for 8 nights. The staff at the check in desk were friendly and polite. As soon as I got into the room, I was amazed at how big it was. It came equipped with a refrigerator, stove, microwave, coffee maker, plates, utensils, pots, pans, and dish rags. I was expecting my room to be cleaned only once, but housekeeping came twice during my stay. There is only one elevator and that is if you go through the front entrance, but there are multiple entrances throughout the hotel. In order to get into the other entrances you need to swipe your room key. Overall, I was very pleased with this hotel and would definitely recommend this to a friend.
Pros: Cleanliness, wifi, free parking, hotel staff
Cons: Pillows (personally, they were uncomfortable, but one call to the front desk and they gave me new ones)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Auburn Hills - I -75, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2012

Thank you so much for your positive review about your stay at our hotel. The staff and I strive to provide great guest experiences by offering friendly service, clean rooms and comfortable accommodations. While I am very sorry that our pillows were not to your liking, it is very rewarding to know that we were able to do this for you overall!

It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future or at any of our other brand locations. Thank you once more for your kind words.

Reviewed 29 June 2012

We are moving to the area and needed a hotel until our apartment became available. The first night we came, the lady at the front desk was wonderful. But as soon as we opened the door to our room, we were assaulted with a thick tobacco smell, that lingered for the first week and a half, even after the maid service came. This hotel, however, is apparently non smoking. We are currently still here. Both of the chairs we have in the room are covered in brown stains. When we arrived, one of the burners didn't work. Contacted the front desk after a week of just dealing with it, and was told maintenance was on the way. This was at 10 AM. Maintenance never came. Told the nice front desk lady about it late that night, and was told they are having an inspection soon and that's probably why they didn't get around to it yet. Um... Isn't a paying customer supposed to be your first priority? Maintenance came the next day, but only after refusing to come into the room while I was gone due to my dog barking. My dog was in her kennel and the housekeeping staff were aware of this and had no problems coming in to the room.
EVERY time we cook, the smoke detector goes off. I make it a point to turn the fan on before I begin and even leave the windows open, and yet it still happens. Today, an obnoxiously loud alarm went off in the main hallway, and remained on for about 3 minutes. I'm not sure if it was a fire alarm or what, but I entered the hallway to see the housekeeping staff just standing around, and then the alarm stopped.
We were also told this is a business oriented hotel, and was very very quiet. On the floor above us, every night since we've been here, there are children running and jumping around in their room. We have complained twice, and there has been no change. One evening they were repeatedly running up and down the entire second floor hallway, like a herd of elephants. My fiance has had terrible problems sleeping and gets up at 5 am. Quiet hours are supposedly at 10 pm, but these children are stomping around well after midnight.
We were only given two pillows at check in, and are only provided 4 towels during the free housekeeping service each week. With two people, we are out of towels in a few days and have to bring them to the front desk in order to get new ones, or pay the housekeeping staff to come by an extra time. The hallways and laundry/vending area are kept at around 80 degrees, and we are currently under a heat advisory in the area. Doing laundry is practically torturous in those conditions. I turned the ac down in the laundry room to 72, and it was turned back up to 80 by the next day. I have had problems with my clothes still being damp out of the dryer. It also costs $2 to wash and $2 to dry in a STANDARD size washer/dryer, so after doing the first few loads here, I go to a laundromat on the other side of Rochester now. I spend less because they have the industrial size machines and my clothes get completely dry.
I would definitely not stay in this hotel again. The daytime hotel staff is completely unhelpful and does exactly the minimum that is expected of them. I'm so glad my fiance's company paid for this trip, because otherwise we would have changed hotels. I will be glad when we are finally able to move into our apartment.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

I recently received a copy of your review and our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

As the hotel manager I challenge our staff to continually improve the experience of our guests, from the cleanliness of our rooms, to the courteous professionalism of our staff. Unfortunately, in your situation, it is clear that we were unsuccessful in achieving these goals. Given our belief that guests like you are our most valuable asset, this failure is particularly troubling.

It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope we have addressed your concerns satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) brand location in the future.

Reviewed 25 June 2012

We were looking for accomodations for the summer (approx 3 months), as our daughter had a summer internship in the area. Started looking at sublets...and were extremely frustrated, as there were terrible options. Noticed Extended Stay's ad on Craigslist, so called and spoke with the General Manager. They have 3 properties in the vicinity and we selected the location on Doris Rd. They have exceeded our expectations on every level. While the property looks older from the outside, the inside has been completely remodeled & updated. It is really quite nice! The price is very fair and actually a good value when you consider that you have free wireless internet, large flat screen tv, well-supplied kitchenette, housekeeping services once per week and no utility bills to pay. But the most important thing to know is that they have an outstanding staff that has exceeded our expectation on every level. Particularly noteworthy is Cornell (usually works the night shift), who has gone above and beyond and provided personal service that you would expect at a 5-star hotel. Thank you Extended Stay....you have a great staff and an excellent property.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Susan_WI
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Extended Stay America Detroit - Auburn Hills. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. We strive to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

Once again, on behalf of Cornell and the entire staff at our hotel, thank you for your very kind words, and we'd love to see you here again.

Reviewed 16 May 2012

Wow, we had stayed at this property in the past and are amazed at how great it looks after being completely renovated! The staff, especially the manager, are always super friendly, professional and very helpful. They always have great recommendations on restaurants. We will plan on always staying at this hotel when we're in the area.

Room Tip: There's no pool, but has several restaurants within walking distance.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Auburn Hills - I -75, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2012

Thank you for your great comments on your stay at our Extended Stay America Detroit – Auburn Hills. We are so glad to hear you like the renovations. Thank you for your feedback. I am glad the staff took great care of you and the area worked out so well. Thank you for being our guest; we appreciate your business!

Reviewed 22 March 2012

Booked on Priceline for a VERY reasonable rate, but once the hotel name was revealed I Read the reviews before checking in, and was VERY leary of another "extended stay dump" but when i came in, the lobby was painted a very homey looking red, with pictures and artwork all over. The Black Colored Front desk looked brand new and the front desk attendant came from behind a wall smiling. I was given Room 101, when i asked for a room away from the noise of the freeway. the room was extremely nice, and still smelled of new carpet. Pillow-Toppers on the mattress made the night very comfortable to sleep... Hotel provided pillows were not satisfactory but I always travel with my own pillow because i have never had an acceptable hotel pillow experience. The in-room kitchen was great, and i brought eggs and bacon to cook my fiance` and son breakfast in the morning.

Every amenity worked correctly including the 32" LCD TV that i was told is standard in every room now due to a full hotel remodel and refresh. Great shower pressure, convenient shelving and homey artwork, looks like they really took some of their negative comments to heart.

I would stay at this hotel again. better than 99% of any Extended Stay brand i have stayed at. including multiple Extended Stay Deluxe brands.

We checked out at Noon altho the checkout time was 11AM, the desk clerk (a female this time) said it was absolutely no problem when i asked for the extra hour.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank bobsroachremoval
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Auburn Hills - I -75, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2012