“Very Shaded Campsites!”

Myre-Big Island State Park
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Albert Lea
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We camped in the Big Island campground at this park. We loved all the trees! And since we experienced thunder storms with high winds during our stay, we appreciated the shelter from the wind that all the trees provided. The campsite was very nice, with a 16x16 tent pad, which fit our tent nicely. There are two things that keep me from giving this park a higher rating. 1) The restrooms in the Big Island campground are very old and need some updating, 2) We are unable to bring in firewood...I understand that. However, the firewood that i purchased at the park was not good! I have camped for 50 years and have built hundreds of bonfires in my years...so I know how to do it. But for the life of me, I could not get their wood to burn. I had plenty of kindling that generated a nice sustained flame and heat that would have started most any wood...and I even cheated by using one of the firestarters they sell at the park office and could not get the wood to ignite enough to start a nice fire. The wood was directly from their storage shed the fist night and was kept dry during the rains for the second night. I should have returned it for another bundle, but was bound and determined to get a fire built.

Firewood-1 Me-0

3  Thank KentBert

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We camped on the big island and it was a beautiful campgrounds. We had a fairly private site with a lot of trees. The hiking trails were very easy and they were nice by the lake. I would rate it 5 stars if they updated the showers. They were fine, but very old and very small. That certainly wouldn't keep me from coming back.

2  Thank pmlilac
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I had gotten a book earlier in the year called "Take a hike Twin Cities" and this park was one of the featured hikes. My hike started in the Big island area of the park around that and along the lake into the main area. The hike was about 8 miles long and I got lost for awhile out there. It's pretty easy to get turned around without a compass of some sort. I saw some deer and a lot of different types of birds. I came on a Friday and I literally encountered no one on the trails. When I came in August the wild flowers had started to really bloom so the fields were quite stunning and beautiful. I got bit by a weird little black spider on the arm here and totally had a red bump on my arm for about the next 4 weeks. It was a nice hike on a warm day and totally worth coming back for hiking. Also as far as I saw the campgrounds looked really nice.

Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed on big island side of park. Tree coverage was extensive. We drove around the myre park side. Those camps are more open, prairie like. Overall we had a nice trip here but it was overly simple in what they had to do and we won't go back. Trails were very, very plain. Just hiking in prairies with some overlooks to lakes. Park was well kept. Good for people that like privacy and low key camps.

1  Thank Schw0375
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with another family in sites 13 and 14 on the Big Island. Beautiful fall colors with great walking trails. Didn't get to explore the bike trail because of the cold and rain..will be back next summer for more.