“nice hotel but serve a late breakfast on weekends”

Holiday Inn Express - Albert Lea - I-35
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Albert Lea
Groveland, Illinois
“nice hotel but serve a late breakfast on weekends”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed at this HIE on business as a stop on our way back home to cut down on out Saturday drive. The hotel was nice but they didn't start their breakfast on Saturday until 7am. This was kind of late for people who wanted to get an early start. When it opened right at 7 it was so busy they didn't even have enough food until almost 7:30. I am a taller person w/ bad knees and the toilets they installed were very hard to get up from as they were, apparently, energy efficient types as they were very close to the floor. Very surprised to see this in a newer hotel as I had not seen any this low in staying at other hotels. They were very hard to get up from.
These would be my main negatives. Otherwise I would rate this hotel as a nice place to stay w/ very pleasant staff.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank jmygolfforfun
General_Manager4712, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Albert Lea - I-35, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our hotel! We appreciate your input and will take into consideration starting breakfast at an early time on the weekends. We hope to see you again soon! Safe Travels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Fargo, ND
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I usually have good luck with HIE locations, but this time it just didn't happen, although I DO have to say the staff, particularly housekeeping, was friendly. My first room hadn't been cleaned and the second room's bed wasn't made. Housekeeping was very apologetic, which I appreciated. The room I got had a VERY stinky shower curtain and the bathtub stopper didn't work. When I called down to the front desk twice, no one answered. Also for some reason whenever I turned the cold water on in the bathroom, I got a VERY "rotten egg" like smell for about 20 seconds.
There was nothing in the exercise room to wipe off the equipment after use. I mentioned it to the front desk on the first day but didn't see anything when I used the treadmills the next several days. There were dry paper towels but nothing to disinfect the equipment, not even any anti-bacterial squirt stuff to use. Next time I visit Albert Lea, I think I'll try another place.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank suzb_00
General_Manager4712, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Albert Lea - I-35, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for writing a review on our Holiday Inn Express of Albert Lea. I am glad to hear that the housekeeping staff was very friendly, however I am sorry to hear about the issues of finding a clean room. I am also very sorry that you had that experience with the water. We have had the water treated many times and continue to shock the system monthly. They have concluded that our water is still safe, but we understand that the smell is an issue and we are continuing to find a solution to this. Thank you again for your review.
Goodyear, Arizona
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

What an excellent stay. Check in went very smooth then to our very clean room. The bed was vey comfortable. We used the hot tub that was much needed after 500 miles on the road. I would stay here again if I was in the area.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bob J
General_Manager4712, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Albert Lea - I-35, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to use several amenities during that time as well. Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback. We hope the rest of your journey went well.
Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Came in later and got room for $120 but about 5am hear water dripping/running. Woke me up and went to see if I left facet running. It was in the walls of room 124 and it seemed to be from the upstairs rooms drains. When i left I told staff and they 'would tell maintain ace man' No adjustments made. B'fest was ok and staff reasonable for a H.I. Express.

Room Tip: take upstairs
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
General_Manager4712, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Albert Lea - I-35, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
I am so sorry that you endured noise during your stay with us, the main purpose of staying at a hotel is to get a good nights sleep to prepare you for the next day ahead. I also want to apologize for what seems like a lack of care from the front desk staff member. Even if there was a problem we want everyone to walk out our doors happy with the outcome. We are currently looking into what would have made the noise to begin with so that it does not continue to wake other guests. Thank you for your feedback and we hope you will stay with us again.
Albert Lea, Minnesota
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Room was very clean the king size bed was awesome. My wife and I stayed here on our trip from South Dakota to Wisconsin. The shower was great especially after being on the road for a long time.
The woman (Tanya)at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. We decided to stay here because of the service we had at another Holiday Inn and were not disappointed by this one.

• Stayed May 2014
We are so happy to hear that we were able to provide you and your wife the same great service that the other Holiday Inn provided. We really appreciate all your feedback and I look forward to passing on the kind words about Tanya to her and all other team members. Thank you, safe travels.
Monroeville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I have to say that Nikki was far from pleasant. She didn't even smile once. Felt awkward checking in. The room smelled of cigarette smoke. The air conditioner didn't work very well, which kept the room warmer than anticipated and I slept not so good. Then we were awakened by the construction the hotel was undergoing both days. Not to mention laying in bed with a migraine on the second day and hearing pounding and drilling. I have to say that this hotel leaves much to be desired. I am sorry I booked two nights initially, as I would have gone elsewhere if I had not had a migraine that was debilitating. I will avoid this hotel in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jason L
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Albert Lea - I-35, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Jason L,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Harrisonburg, Virginia
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed here for 2 weeks on a business trip. Clean rooms with comfortable beds. The staff is friendly but a lot of mixed messages - I was initially told that I would be able to leave a bag behind for the weekend but when I checked out was told differently, that they would not be able to accommodate this.

The elevator is very slow, so take the stairs or stay on the first floor. The gym only has 2 treadmills and 1 elliptical. The pool is nice and the jacuzzi nice and hot. Free breakfast daily - eggs, breakfast meat, biscuits/gravy, cereal, pastries - not too bad.

The wifi is not bad, able to conference call without a drop in service.

There is a buffet at a truck stop across the road and then about 5 min west there are several restaurants some of which I've reviewed as well.

It it weren't for the inability to leave a bag here I would stay again.

Room Tip: Slow elevator. Thin walls, stay on 3rd floor and you won't hear people walking above you.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael M
General_Manager4712, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Albert Lea - I-35, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time from your busy day to give your feedback regarding your stay with us. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed so much of your stay with us and we were able to accommodate almost all of your needs. I was so disappointed to read that a team member told you that we could not store your bag for you while you were away for the weekend. This is a common practice I know at many hotels and something that we can accommodate. I have spoken to all team members to make them aware of this service. I hope that you will be able to try us again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albert Lea
Days Inn Austin
Days Inn Austin
#1 of 7 in Austin
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Austin

Been to Holiday Inn Express - Albert Lea - I-35? Share your experiences!