“Beautiful Area to Camp,Relax and Roast Marshmallows”
Review of Big Foot Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alexandria
Big Foot Resort
Cambridge, Minnesota
“Beautiful Area to Camp,Relax and Roast Marshmallows”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We have been seasonal campers at Big Foot for 11 years and love the place. Joe and Terri have always been more than accommodating, helping in anyway they can. The pool, store and grounds are very clean. The grandchildren and adults love the pool, mini golf and the playground area. The lake has kayaks and paddle boats for use. These people work extremely hard to accommodate the different variety and needs of the campers. Beautiful scenery and fishing is great! Jody and Jerry

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jody W

Couples
Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Little Falls, Minnesota
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Big Foot Resort is an awesome place to spend your summers and winters too! This will be our 12th year at Big Foot Resort. Our plan was to try a seasonal resort for a year to see how we liked it, well as I said it will be 12 years and we are still at Big Foot. Joe and Terri are the most gracious, kind hearted accommodating people we have ever met. Not only do we stay there during summer months we rent a cabin in the winter for the ice fishing. Yes it is cabin 9, couldn't ask for a nicer cabin. Big Foot offers miniature golf, boat and pontoon rental, kayaks, regular pool and a kiddie pool, nicely stocked grocery store where you can also purchase your fishing license and a variety of bait. Great fishing and great people. We love this place and all it has to offer! J&JN

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jan N
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We were appalled by the condition of cabin 9 when we arrived.

We visited with Terri, who appeared dismayed that we were upset and suggested that we go somewhere else. However, this simply was not possible. Believe us, we wanted to leave!

(During the week-long stay, we visited another lakeside cabin at this resort and it was cute and acceptably tidy.)

We rented the log cabin (#9) and this is what we encountered:

1. Kitchen towels, bath and hand towels or washcloths were NOT provided. Hand soaps, dishwashing liquid or paper towels were NOT provided. We had to drive into Alec late at night and we spent over $200 on those items.

2. Although the beds were made, the mattresses were very firm -- not comfortable at all, so we purchased a queen Coleman air mattress (and a pump) and put it on top of the bed, which really helped. The linens were not acceptable. For example, a twin blanket on one of the queen beds (late '70's - early '80's) does not cover the bed adequately. Insect exoskeletons and hair was found in the blankets. Thus, we had to purchase new bedding.

3. There was a strong sulfur odor and taste to the water, making it necessary to purchase drinking water. For some members in our group, the foul water was particularly offensive and difficult to contend with.

4. For others, the condition of the bathrooms was deplorable beyond words. Terri, the owner, insisted that the bathtub was clean -- "just stained." The fiberglass tub/shower unit had lost the protective finish long ago, so the sulfur water probably did stain it. The original handle kept falling and chipping the unit. Even IF it was "clean," it looked dirty. The wooden bar of the towel rack kept falling off. But the area behind the toilet was hideously gross. Absolutely horrific. We don't know if there is a slow water leak and if the black gunk was mold, or if it was the culmination of dust and "whatever" that had not been properly cleaned over the years.

5. The upholstered furniture was stained and, quite frankly, just worn out. The seat cushions were so worn, that the padding "spilled over" the frame, so that one sat rather low to the floor with a big roll of cushion stuffing behind their knees and legs. We asked for sheets to cover these sofas, which Terri did provide. Several days later, Terri called to tell us that she tried to find three matching hide-a-bed sofas, but she would have to order them. She wanted to send someone out to clean the cabin's sofas, but we declined, as it couldn't correct the "worn-out-ness" of the cushions and we didn't want a chemical odor lingering.

However, the television was newer and dining room furniture was very nice. Additional chairs were stacked in a corner, which we used on several occasions. The chairs on the deck were comfortable. The inside of the oven and refrigerator/freezers was very clean.

6. We paid almost $400 to rent a pontoon boat for eight days. It was probably made in the '70's or early '80's and was in pretty poor condition. We've rented boats on almost every vacation we've taken, and this was, by far, in the worst shape of all. Just not properly maintained. Gas was $20 to $40 each day, depending on usage.

7. The windows in the log cabin have problems. The windows facing the lake were clean, but the other windows had not been cleaned for a long time. The upper sash in the double-hung window kept falling down (upstairs bedroom) and the screen had a hole in it. The maintenance man replaced the screen. However, the "new" screen had a bent frame, thus, the screen did not fit tightly, nor did the two window air conditioners. There were numerous "holes" that allowed hundreds of annoying gnats into the cabin.

8. There were many other issues we could list, but we'll finish with one more problem and situation. Chipmunks! A family member was in the basement shower when the individual saw a furry blur. We soon discovered a chipmunk was in the cabin. With the help of extended family members, we caught one, and then two chipmunks and released them outside. (Everyone thought it was kind of funny, at first. Ha-ha! Christmas Vacation and all that.) However, after almost all of our family members returned home, we discovered yet another chipmunk in the basement of the cabin. Three of us tried in vain to chase it outdoors, to no avail. So we called the owners, Joe and Terri, to come and help us. Terri maintained a good attitude and tried to help. Joe, however, arrived with an aggressive and hostile demeanor. He appeared to be seething with anger and quickly turned an annoying problem into a very tense situation. He was extremely confrontational and rude. When we checked out the following morning, Terri gave a 10% discount on the cabin rental due to the chipmunks.

There were other issues, but these were the most frustrating and disappointing problems. Our family goes back five generations in the Alexandria area and we have stayed in many cabins with many happy memories, so this experience was a big letdown. Obviously, we were very disappointed in the cabin's condition, but we were especially upset by the rude and unprofessional behavior of the owner, Joe. His antagonistic and rancorous conduct was entirely unwarranted. Our advice if you decide to stay at this resort is to deal only with Terri and don't stay in Cabin Nine. Before you rent the log house (cabin 9) ask Terri if the tub and shower units have been replaced. Have the drywall repairs in the hallway ceiling been completed? Are the bedroom windows in the back part of the basement legal? Can someone get out if there was a fire in the front part of the basement where the door is? Has the "hole/weak spot" in the kitchen floor been professionally repaired? (An old "pillow" stuffed into an old floor register and capped with a press-and-stick floor tile doesn't suffice.) Ask if the old plumbing in the former laundry room has been removed and secured so rodents (and snakes) can't get in. Ask if the ants camped around the refrigerator are still there. Ask if the loveseat in the laundry room as well as the hide-a-bed sofas have been replaced. Have the cracked and worn (and moldy?) "press and stick" flooring tiles been replaced? Has a professional checked the bathrooms for black mold? Is it stachybotrys? Has a building inspector approved of all completed remodeling work?

Room Tip: Just stay away from Cabin 9 & bring plenty of drinking water and kitchen and bath towels, sheets...
9 Thank Samantha S
mnfisherman662, Owner at Big Foot Resort, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Terri and I have owned Big Foot Resort for 16 years, and during that time we have met many great people and built relationships with many hundreds of guests and have a large percentage of returning guest/friends. Some have been coming since our first year of ownership, and when we have told some of them and others of this reviewer, they are baffled, as are we. We are people oriented, which is why we are in this business. We enjoy what we do and generally take criticism in stride, especially when it is warranted. Most times concerns or complaints we receive are justified, as some of what this reviewer has brought up is also. The stained and dirty wood behind the toilet(s) was unacceptable, and has been replaced. We have a new cleaner this season who did not do well with the spring cleaning on this cabin, as this was obviously missed, and should have been written up for our maintenance to replace the wood.

I hope to included pictures (if I can find a way in this response) of some of what she talked about to maybe give a more “realistic” perspective. When you zoom in close enough to something it can look pretty ominous.
The pontoon she is referring to is a late 90’s vintage, but when it comes to “Rental” boats, the age is not necessarily important. I don’t know how many different motors we have had to put on this particular one since we bought it because of how some treat rentals. Seating has been constantly changed or renewed. To change all the seating at once is thousands of dollars (more than we take in for rental for the season), so if we can do it in stages, it is easier on our bottom line, and still offers quality for our customers. If we charged more we could have new or constantly upgraded boats, but that is not what we want or want to offer. We are a high value, reasonable cost resort. We do not want to be the “high end” expensive place. We charge $85 per day or $360 per week for the pontoon pictured (the one they rented). I doubt this can be found many places, and had replaced the bench seats either at the end of their stay or shortly after. I’m not sure. This was another very late spring, so much of our outdoor maintenance was behind schedule, such as pontoon work. Maintaining rental property, including boats is a challenge. One year we had put over $3,000 into seating and carpet for this particular boat (we have 4 other pontoons), and soon after putting it out for rental, someone had used the large seat to cut their bait and fishing line on….the seat was sliced in many places and would be ruined by the end of the season from the weather getting into the sliced areas. We can’t always make everything perfect in the timeframe we would like, and of course when some would expect.

Ironically, this reviewer happened to be visiting on the tail end of the life of a few items, including the couches. They had previously been scheduled to be replaced this season, and coincidentally will be replaced next week. It was I (Joe) who initiated the effort to have them replaced “while” this family was still here, not Terri (my Wife). She had just relayed to them what I was doing, and she was surprised to read how this reviewer credited her for this and other credits not properly attributed to her. It was not possible though. None of the local stores had inventory of what we needed, so we needed to wait until they had them.
The pictures I’ve provided of the couches show that they are a “rustic styling”, as was our intent for the theme of this “log” cabin. We do have a cabin (#7) which is probably more suited to the style this reviewer may have been looking for (pictures are on our website www.bigfootresort.com). This couch issue may have been caused by another error of our cleaner. She evidently left the seat cushions outside of, instead of underneath of the back lumbar cushions. This configuration gives the appearance of floppy or IL fitted cushions as the reviewer is complaining about. The lumbar cushions need to be lifted and the seat cushions slid underneath. See comparison pictures.

The tub/surround had been slated for replacement this season also. Yes, it is dated, and worn, but it also is not as horrible as it is being portrayed, and also the cracked sheetrock along the edge (shown in proportion in my picture….the cracked area is near horizontal seam of the surround) is a simple repair, and will be when the tub/surround is replaced yet this year.
The “hole/weak spot” in the kitchen floor is indeed where a floor vent had previously been. It was professionally filled and covered a few years ago. When he filled the space, he filled it with a block of wood and he used a filler to smooth the area to be level with the existing floor which evidently gave way at the edges after a few years of walking on it. The linoleum cracked on the edges showing the outline of the filled opening, but it was not filled with an “old pillow”. Where I think she got the idea for that statement is that below the kitchen is the bunk room and near the bunks is a ceiling vent (nowhere near the filled kitchen floor vent), which a previous guest had stuffed a small blue pillow into the vent. It may have been too hot in the room for them so they inserted a pillow. Another obvious “cleaning” issue, which has been addressed.
Most of the windows in this cabin have been replaced within the last 5 years, but the ones that have not are of course the ones she is referring to. They are double hung windows, and yes two of them do not stay up well when opened (there are only a few of them still in the cabin). We try to keep up with as much updating as we can without having to raise our rates (we have not raised them since 2008). It’s not possible to do everything at once.

Last year we did have someone complain of a chipmunk getting into this cabin. They also admitted that they left the doors open a lot. We cannot stop the production of chipmunks, and we cannot keep the cabin doors closed. We also have many guests who just adore the chipmunks and will feed them from their hands. One of our seasonal RV guests will put a small dried corn cob in his shirt pocket which tey will climb into and remove a mouthful of kernels and walk down his shirt, only to keep returning for more as they stash them somewhere. I cannot control this activity either.
This reviewer with her husband and two young adult children stayed in this cabin (#9), coming ahead of two other family members by a couple of days. The other family members were her parents, who stayed in cabin #2 and her brother and sister-in-law and their kids who stayed in cabin #10.

Shortly after their arrival, her sister-in-law went to the office asking for Terri and I, but we had to attend a funeral in Brainerd and weren’t available. The next day her Mother went to the office asking for Terri and I also. She and her daughter-in-law wanted to apologize for this reviewer’s actions and words. They said that they had been in this cabin and did not agree with all that she was complaining about. They said that she is not generally who they invite to go with them on their excursions, and that she doesn’t generally visit resorts, which seems apparent given her complaint about towels. Few Minnesota resorts offer towels, and if they do they likely are not the typical Mom and Pop resort, as we are proud to be.

Her brother told me of how paralyzed this reviewer and her family were at the sight of a chipmunk and that he was the one who liberated it for them the first time, and was amused at their reaction. This was not an amusing moment for her as she stated in her review. The last night of their stay was the only time I had any direct interaction with this reviewer and her family. I may have spent 20 minutes at the most with them. I came with a fishing net to capture the chipmunk for them, and I actually said very little. Terri did not “help” with looking for the chipmunk as she states, it was her husband and I. They stated that it was under the hideabed, so I opened it up and saw nothing and nothing exited it. I then turned it on its front and looked into every opening I could see and put my hand into every crevice I could not look into. There was nothing in this couch. They were defensive that nothing was found and the husband told the wife to show me the video she had taken, because he didn’t think that I believed that there had been a chipmunk in there. I did believe them and told them so, and also believed that she was deathly afraid of it as she stood on the stair landing holding a broom. I asked what they would like me to do since we could not find anything. They insisted that he was still in the couch. I stated that I had looked and felt everywhere I could and that there was no area of the couch for him to be in. They still insisted he was in there. Other than dismantling the couch the only other options would be to watch for him for who knows how long or remove the couch for the night. I offered to get a trailer and remove it for them. I got no response, they couldn’t decide if they wanted me to do that or not. Someone needed to make a decision so I then looked at Terri and said that I was going to get some help and the enclosed trailer (it was raining) and remove the couch, chairs and ottomans in the lower level entry area that we were in at the time to be sure that anywhere he could be possibly be hiding is removed. The husband said that he did not want me to do that. I then said that I could just take the couch. He said no. I asked what they wanted me to do, and they had no answer. I asked again if they would like me to remove the couch where they were still insisting he was hiding. He again said no. Her description of my demeanor is all based on my next reaction. I grabbed the fishing net and walked out. No that was not polite of me, and I probably should not have done that, but how she came up with all the descriptors of me from that one action and also the fact that everything I was doing and trying to do for them during their time here she changed attribution to Terri, is a little odd.

She also called the Minnesota Department of Health to force an inspection of us. The inspector did come out and told me of her demeanor during the call. He said that this was something new and unusual for him also. He knows Big Foot, our quality, and that we comply with all that is required of us, and that we always go beyond what is necessary.
Austin, Minnesota
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I am a 2nd generation camper at this resort and having nothing but great things to say about it and the owners. I spent several years coming here with my parents and after they sold due to health reasons, I enjoyed and missed the place enough to rent a seasonal site here. All the fellow campers are very friendly and become like a 2nd family. They have 10 cabins for rent and 5 sites for non seasonal campers. They have a well stocked store with groceries, bait, tackle and resort wear that is open from early in am to evening that is most of the time staffed by the owner. The pool is well cared for with lots of chairs to lounge in and for those that would prefer to venture into the lake, they have kayaks and peddle boats for use. I spent my entire child hood at different MN resorts and have found the water no different at this resort than any other resort that we have stayed at. We always brought water from home for cooking and drinking because resort water has a different smell and taste than city water...this was our preference. If you're looking for a nice family oriented resort where the owners are generally concerned over the happiness of their campers and looking for a good fishing lake, then this is the resort for you.

3 Thank Kristi M
Quartzsite, Arizona
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I've been coming here for the last 11 summers and find this campground to be great. It has great fishing, pontoon and fishing boats and motors to rent, any kind of bait you want, free kayaks to use, a beach volleyball court, and the number one attraction is a very nice swimming pool and kiddie pool. Joe and Terri are the owners and I think do an outstanding job of accomadating all their guests. Its my number 1 resort in Minnesota or I wouldn't keep coming back!!! Jim & Ginny L.

1 Thank Jim L
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Big Foot is located on the west side of little Mary, lake Mary is filled with walleyes, bass, sunny's and crappies! With a large beach with a sand volleyball court, kayaks, paddle boats, canoes and many more recreational water sport tools, complements to the resort. Bigfoot is also equipped with a mini putt putt golf course, and the best part is they have a outdoor heated pool with a mini pool all fenced in. Come to fish, swim, relax, and play! What more could you ask for?

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank saramk8
Evansville, Minnesota
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The past three years our family has been coming back to Big Foot. The large cabins are great for our large families to gather for a week each summer.

My nieces and nephews love playing in the pools, and meet new friends to play with each year. They also have plenty of room for yard games, a small playground, basketball hoop, paddle boats, etc.

Can't wait to head back later this summer!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family