Holiday Inn Alexandria
Best Western Alexandria Inn(Alexandria)(Great Value!)
US$121
US$143
Hampton.com
US$115
US$111
Super 8 Alexandria MN(Alexandria)(Great Value!)
US$96
US$84
US$214
US$187
Skyline Motel(Alexandria)(Great Value!)
US$73
US$67
All reviewscold beerkids eat freekids playbit datedold stylebeds were very comfortablealexandria areaindoor poolinterstateminneapolismn
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Old ancient hotel that has seen better days(probably back when Jimmy Carter was in office). My room was very small, cramped, cluttered, humid and musty. Actually my room smelled like a combination of mold and feet. Yes they did have a dehumidifier in the room, presumably to get the funk and humidity out of the air, however, it's loud and annoying to run so we shut it off.

Wireless Internet did not work for me at all, I walked all over the hotel trying to log on, it was not a signal issue but just would not work for some unknown reason with my older wireless card. I have never had any problems before or since in any other hotels but this one just would not connect. I am a former network technician so it was not operator error either...lol.

The air conditioning unit in the room worked but we could not run it because it sounded like a squeaky freight train, squeaking and vibrating the entire room, it was too bad too because it was a warm day.

Bathroom was tiny and the water was slimy.

Cleanliness seemed pretty decent, the bed was comfortable and the indoor pool area looked nice, if your into that, however, those were the only redeeming qualities of the hotel. If the hotel were $59.99 I may have been a little more lenient in my review but at over $100 it is NOT a good value at all.

Wont be back.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank AlCzervik1
jrugani, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2012

We are very sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your stay. While our facility was built a few years ago, we strive to continuously make improvements to keep things fresh and up to date. The beds are one of our latest purchases and I was so happy to hear you found it comfortable. You are correct about the pool area being a great amenity. While it sounds like that was not the purpose of your stay with us, I thank you for including that for the many that enjoy a large pool and recreation area. I understand and am so sorry that you did not see the value in your stay with us. We guarantee satisfaction and take pride in both our customer service and property. So if you would like to contact us directly, we would be happy to refund your money.

Reviewed 30 March 2012

We (two adults & two teenage girls) stayed here overnight while driving through to Albertville & Minneapolis. Overall a pleasant stay and we would definitely recommend it.
PROS: Friendly front desk staff (Stephanie was extremely helpful). Great location & easily accessible (just off I94). Extremely clean. Rooms are modern and nicely decorated, and contain all the modern day amenites. Beds were very comfortable, with soft & hard pillows. Contains a full-service restaurant & bar. Good size pool & hot-tub, and arcade room. Large and cozy lobby. Lots of sitting areas around the pool. Free wi-fi service inroom & throughout the hotel. Banquet facilities. Mobile security in the hotel & parking lot.
CONS: Breakfast is not included with room rate. Highway traffic can at times be heard in the rooms facing the highway. Second floor hallway and the pool areas are dated. Restaurant food is bland and not very exciting.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank F F
Reviewed 6 February 2012

My husband had surgery on a foot and we were given a room on the main level and we were warned that it may be busy and loud due to a convention going on near the pool area. There was alot of people and alot of children running thru the halls. We were impressed on the security of the guys dressed in black and with all the noise, how controlled it was and very enjoyable. Thank you for a very nice stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jan D
Reviewed 20 December 2011

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times, as most of my extended family lives in Alexandria. I admit that when I was a kid, it was one of my favorite places to go because I could play in the pool and arcade with my parents watching from the pool side room or hot tub. I choose to continue to stay here mostly because of the staff and on site bar (although nostalgia may play a small part). The hotel has done a decent job of staying updated but you can tell it’s been around for a while. The carpet in the atrium is very worn, but the pool is still large and the hot tub still warm. There are plenty of chairs and table to relax in the atrium, plenty of room for the cousins and their kids to come and play at the hotel. The kids love it and you get time to catch up with family while watching them. If you get sick of sitting by the pool, or all your relatives have left and it’s time to be with grown ups, head down to the bar “Rudy’s Redeye Grill”. The bartenders and staff are genuinely nice and can easily caring on a conversation, making you feel like you’ve known them forever. Although the décor is nice (who doesn’t enjoy that “up north” feel when your on vacation) the food is subpar. I would recommend eating somewhere else and sticking to the drinks.

Overall I continue to stay at this hotel year after year because the prices are right, the staff is friendly and accommodating, the convenience for my extended family and the on site bar.

Room Tip: Get a "pool view" room. You face the pool and atrium area but are on the second floor where it tend to be not as loud.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank tinamariech
jrugani, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2012

Thank you so much for continuing to choose our property as your preferred hotel when visiting Alexandria. I especially liked reading that you enjoy our staff. They work very hard to make all our guests feel at home and comments like that mean a lot. You'll be happy to hear that we recently installed beautiful new carpeting in our pool and recreation area. Hopefully that will freshen things up for you on your next visit. I would also invite you to try the menu again. Last month we rolled out a fun new menu. Please give it a try and let us know if the new selections are more to your liking. I once again would like to thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your comments.

Reviewed 21 October 2011

I'll admit it, I'm a big fan of the old-style Holiday Inns with the big pool area in the middle with the rooms around it. You don't see many of these still operating with the Holiday Inn name so that tells you they've done a pretty good job of keeping it updated. Be careful booking a pool-side room for a Saturday night stay. The wedding reception/dance area is right next to the pool & the music was thumping way past the time the pool closed at 11pm. The pool area itself is awesome with a huge hot tub, giant regular pool, and a small wading pool that our youngest kids loved. The water was nice & warm even early in the morning. The carpet in the hallways and common areas is very worn. Also, the back parking lot seemed very dark even with the flood lights on. The decor in the restaurant/lounge is very nice but the food is just average. The best thing about this hotel is the people. From the front desk staff to the maintenance guys, everyone was super friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Pool side rooms are very noisy when a wedding dance is going on.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
jrugani, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2011

Thank you so very much for the wonderful comments about our staff. We work hard to create a culture of genuine, heartfelt customer service and I was so happy to read that your experience reflected that. Also happy to hear you enjoyed some of the fun amenities we offer. We do strive to maintain an updated and fresh appearance for our guests. As I am writing this we are installing new carpet in those common areas you noted needed some attention. I apologize for the DJ music being too loud. Please know that we are more than happy to ask an event's DJ to adjust the volume if it is disturbing our guests. Should you come back an have a similar experience, please don't hesitate to inform the front desk so they can send a member of our security team to remedy the situation. You might also be happy to hear we rolled out a new restaurant menu last week and hope you find it a step above your last visit . I sincerely hope you have an opportunity to stay with us again and take in all of the improvements we've been implementing.