“ho hum”

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Alexandria
Brookings
“ho hum”
Reviewed 4 August 2012

My husband and i stayed one night here. The room was small, and the sink in the bathroom didn't drain. we were tired and did't call to complain. We went down to the pool but it was full of hockey players. In july? There was also some motorcycle event going on there. I'm sure it is a great place for a large group gathering but for just a couple wanting to relax it is not the place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
jrugani, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Alexandria, responded to this review, 12 August 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. Yes, you are correct, having a huge pool and recreation area with many gathering areas makes us an ideal location for large groups and tournments. We enjoy having our leisure travels stay as well. Here are some helpful hints for those looking for a more intimate experience. Ask for a room away from the pool and recreation area. We recently added an outdoor patio off our pool area. This is a great, quiet space to get some fresh air, read a book or take in a little sun. We also have Rudy's Redeye Grill right here on property. They'd be happy to reserve a cozy booth for a delicious dinner for two. We strive to give every guest the best possible experience at our property and encourage anyone to reach out to our friendly staff and let them know what we can do to make it a great stay!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Burnsville, Minnesota
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We stayed here as part of a weekend getaway. It was a coming full circle event for me, as I had stayed here as a child and had mny fond memories. I was looking forward to seeing what had changed. Fortunately, not much. The hotel has a large pool and hot tub, and the entire pool area is huge, totally unlike the small cramped pool areas of newer places. The rooms are dated, the place has been here for decades after all, but nothing to keep us from staying here again.

The on-site restaurant, Rudy's Red Eye, was incredible. The breakfast buffet was to die for as well. We will definitely stay here again if we find ourselves back in the area.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
jrugani, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Alexandria, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Thank you so very much for the review! I was very please you enjoyed all we have to offer and will return should the opportunity present itself. We strive to create the best possible experience for all our guests and it means a lot when people take the time to share a great stay. I will be sure to share your comments with the entire staff.
Manzanita, Oregon
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We were visiting out of town for a wedding. A family member was able to get us a place here for two nights. It was close to where we had to be, given the fact that the wedding was at a lake. It was old, and the room smelled weird (bad), the service was decent. We had forgotten our goggles in our room, and they mailed it to our house, which was nice. Except it was quite difficult telling her our situation and our mailing address, that was a bit fustrating, but at least we got our goggles back! They did not however offer complimentary breakfast (too bad). The restaurant that is attached did have great breakfast, so that was a plus. The pool was exceptional, it was large annd deep, and with two hot tubs, and a bunch of games to play, it was really nice. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was a bit small, but the room was a adequate size. The only complaint I would have is that quite early in the morning, a handyman was outside our room fixing the game machines, which was quite noisy. He should have waited till later in the day to do that, which he caused us to wake up. We would probably stay here again if we had too.

Room Tip: Away from the games
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Dear Lisaungie,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good points of your recent stay. It is always a great pleasure to read encouraging remarks from our valued guest like yourself that the room was comfortable, the pool exceptional, the breakfast was great and that our staff was kind enough to mail you your goggles. I was disappointed to read that your stay was negatively affected by the noise from the game machines being fixed during your stay and in this regard I would like to sincerely apologize. I hope this will not deter you from coming back to our hotel.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback. We hope that you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
West Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 1 July 2012 via mobile

Stayed here while attending a summer hockey tourney so we got a a decent room rate. Not sure I'd stay here without the discount. The room was decent sized and had all the amenities you'd expect but the overall property was a bit dated. The hotel has a large indoor pool and play area as well as a restaurant on site. The hotel is located right next to I-94 and very close to the town's major shopping area. Would have been nice to have at least a continental breakfast included. The staff at the front desk were helpful.

• Stayed June 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria, responded to this review, 5 August 2012
Dear abtfour,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our helpful staff and our large indoor pool and play area.

However, It sounds like our property fell below your expectations regarding the property being dated. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 19 June 2012

We ended up staying one night at this hotel when the room we had booked elsewhere was accidentally double-booked. The stay was a tad nostalgic since my parents were actually married on the balcony/upper level overlooking the pool area of the hotel more than 30 years ago!

We were given a ground floor poolside room, which was very convenient since we have little kids. The linens throughout the room were very nice quality and quite soft. The two queen size beds were very soft and comfortable, too. The room's carpet was updated and seemed pretty clean. The TV looked newer, but we never turned it on. No weird smells in the room. The room was a little on the small side, but we didn't spend much time in there anyways.

The only aspect of the room that bothered me was the bathroom. While it had been updated (granite counter, curved shower rod), it was very small. And some things still really showed the age of the hotel. Also, the pipes squealed when I turned on the shower faucet. The noise was consistent all through my shower. The toilet seat had some permanent marks/stains that looked gross even when the toilet was clean.

The pool area was great for the kids. They enjoyed both the kiddie pool and the big pool. We adults liked the big hot tub. Plenty of towels out by the pool. In the morning, we ate donuts (bought from a local bakery) at a table out by the pool.

The hotel was hosting a couple conventions/events, but it didn't seem too crowded. In fact, there were only a couple other families using the pool area when we were there. I thought we'd hear a lot of noise being poolside (and near an entrance to the hotel), but that was not the case.

We had received two coupons good for "kids eat free" in the hotel restaurant, so we went there for dinner. It was pretty good and a very fair value with the coupons and half price happy hour appetizers.

My father handled check-in and check-out, so I can't comment on that. However, he didn't complain, and it seemed to be a quick process.

Like I mentioned before, we ended up here due to a double booking elsewhere, so our room was paid for by the other hotel since it was their mistake. We had a good stay, but had I been the one footing the bill, I would have expected a lot more for the price. If you can get a good deal, go for it, but don't pay full price.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Road Warrior
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Old ancient hotel that has seen better days(probably back when Jimmy Carter was in office). My room was very small, cramped, cluttered, humid and musty. Actually my room smelled like a combination of mold and feet. Yes they did have a dehumidifier in the room, presumably to get the funk and humidity out of the air, however, it's loud and annoying to run so we shut it off.

Wireless Internet did not work for me at all, I walked all over the hotel trying to log on, it was not a signal issue but just would not work for some unknown reason with my older wireless card. I have never had any problems before or since in any other hotels but this one just would not connect. I am a former network technician so it was not operator error either...lol.

The air conditioning unit in the room worked but we could not run it because it sounded like a squeaky freight train, squeaking and vibrating the entire room, it was too bad too because it was a warm day.

Bathroom was tiny and the water was slimy.

Cleanliness seemed pretty decent, the bed was comfortable and the indoor pool area looked nice, if your into that, however, those were the only redeeming qualities of the hotel. If the hotel were $59.99 I may have been a little more lenient in my review but at over $100 it is NOT a good value at all.

Wont be back.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank AlCzervik1
jrugani, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Alexandria, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
We are very sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your stay. While our facility was built a few years ago, we strive to continuously make improvements to keep things fresh and up to date. The beds are one of our latest purchases and I was so happy to hear you found it comfortable. You are correct about the pool area being a great amenity. While it sounds like that was not the purpose of your stay with us, I thank you for including that for the many that enjoy a large pool and recreation area. I understand and am so sorry that you did not see the value in your stay with us. We guarantee satisfaction and take pride in both our customer service and property. So if you would like to contact us directly, we would be happy to refund your money.

Travellers are raving about these Alexandria hotels

Reviewed 30 March 2012

We (two adults & two teenage girls) stayed here overnight while driving through to Albertville & Minneapolis. Overall a pleasant stay and we would definitely recommend it.
PROS: Friendly front desk staff (Stephanie was extremely helpful). Great location & easily accessible (just off I94). Extremely clean. Rooms are modern and nicely decorated, and contain all the modern day amenites. Beds were very comfortable, with soft & hard pillows. Contains a full-service restaurant & bar. Good size pool & hot-tub, and arcade room. Large and cozy lobby. Lots of sitting areas around the pool. Free wi-fi service inroom & throughout the hotel. Banquet facilities. Mobile security in the hotel & parking lot.
CONS: Breakfast is not included with room rate. Highway traffic can at times be heard in the rooms facing the highway. Second floor hallway and the pool areas are dated. Restaurant food is bland and not very exciting.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank F F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Alexandria
Days Inn Alexandria MN
Days Inn Alexandria MN
#11 of 12 in Alexandria
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Glenwood

Been to Holiday Inn Alexandria? Share your experiences!