“Won't go back.”

Holiday Inn Alexandria
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Staff was very friendly at front desk and in restaurant/bar....couldn't ask for friendlier people. Long miserable walk to room, room had horrible musty order to it like it was a previous smoking room and not cleaned before conversion. Sheets were stained with nail polish or something and carpet was stained. Buffet in a.m. in restaurant was okay but omelet bar put out over cooked omelets and gravy tasted like flour. I called two days after to let them know all of this (because we had to leave in a hurry upon check-out and couldn't call until then) and the response from front desk gal was less then reassuring. She simply said had we told them upon check out they would have looked into it. We asked for military or AAA discount and will the discount room was $153 because 10% tax jumped it back up. What's the point of a discount? Very disappointing and for such a lovely, lakes, tourist area they should be far more accommodating and up to date.

Room Tip: Look for other resorts/hotels in the area.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank btravelball
Duane R, Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

I am very sorry to hear that parts of your stay were not up to our standards! We are taking care of the property issues as quickly as possible, but the buffet quality is normally top notch and our staff tries hard to be as helpful as possible in every situation. I would like to discuss your experience to fix the issues and take care of you. If you are willing, you can call the hotel and ask for Duane. I am available Wednesday thru Saturday 10am-8pm and Sundays shift varies. Take care and thank you for your comments!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed here for a wedding up at Arrowhead, booked us a 2 bed hotel room per stating they didnt have 1 queen bed rooms, but asked at front desk to change to single bed hotel room at check in. They changed rooms alright, but just moved us to another 2 bed hotel room. Room must have been cleaned in 2 minutes, dirty bathroom floors, didnt even get towels until after we were situated. They were pumping guests through like cattle.

For 150 dollars, the room was not even close to worth it, cleanliness/freshness is why I go to hotels, and with a name like Holiday Inn I expected better.

Room Tip: The Hampton up the street is beautiful.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Korey B
Duane R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

I am very sorry to hear your experience wasn't up to par...We did have some issues with room bookings and moved some people to accommodate and had to re clean several rooms. We are proud of our hotel and never want our guests to feel like they are just a number, and I am embarrassed you felt that way. If there is anything I can do, please contact Duane at the hotel. Thank you for your candid review, I will share it with the staff so we don't make this mistake again.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Dingy, smelly carpet, small bathrooms, poor coffee maker. Mattress was excellent and ample nice pillows (I realize this is a very personal thing- bring your own if you can't sleep on anything else!).
Staff friendly. Restaurant, pub/bar. Pricey for this rural (albeit it was August in a big regional resort hub) location. Noise was not a problem either from the freeway just outside or from within. Many other motel/hotel choices in the area. We were a captive audience for a wedding, so had no choice as the gala following was in this hotel's "party barn" located just across the parking lot. Has a pool and I'm sure that makes moisture control an issue. We did not use any of those facilities. Wouldn't be my first choice next time.

Room Tip: East end looks quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Thomas W
Duane R, Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

I am both pleased and sad to read your review. We are proud of our hotel and I am glad our staff took care of you. We are working through some of the other issues as quickly as we can and I thank you for your comments, they only make us better!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We absolutely loved the pool area. There is a large pool that goes to 8 feet deep that was very comfortable temperature-wise. There is also a sauna and a large hot tub to relax in. Also in the pool area is an open space to play volleyball, basketball or hockey, you can rent sticks from the front desk for a $20 refundable deposit. It was "old school" holiday inn like I remembered it as a kid. When we walked into our room, it was a little musty smelling, but air freshener had been added so it was fine. The beds were comfortable. We'd stay there again since it is located right off the interstate!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Duane R, Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your comments! I too love our pool area and we all take a lot of pride in our hotel! I am sharing your words with our staff, thank you again!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I give this motel an average because I did not have the heart to give it a poor. We stayed here July 4 & 5, 2014. The people were friendly, but the motel smells dingy, the carpet in the halls is lifting up in spots and i don't know how many times we stumbled over them. The bathroom was so small that if someone would have opened the door while you were sitting on the john it would hit you square in the forehead and you could wash your wound at the sink without getting up. The texture on the walls and ceiling gives you anything but a homey feeling and the paint in the room we had was ugly brown combination with overspray and roller marks on the ceiling and carpet. We originally wanted a king bed but were told there were none available. When we got there it was a king bed room. The night of the 5th we found ourselves planted in the middle of a block of rooms occupied by a bunch of young men (sports team or something). We were awakened in the middle of the night by loud talking and doors banging. Finally called to complain when it didn't stop and then looked out peep hole and there were 6 - 8 standing in the hallway having a wonderfully loud conversation. Next their apparent chaperones came with pizza for everybody and tried to open our door. They excused themselves when I opened the door to see if they wanted something. Finally things quieted down, but what a miserable night. I complained when we checked out and they credited our credit card for that one night and were nice about it, but I personally would not book that motel again. They have a swimming pool and a lounge and I thing that is what draws a certain people, but if you are really needing a good nights rest for the money do yourself a favor and go somewhere else.

Room Tip: If you like noise, water and lounge - poolside
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the accommodations you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. Renovation is underway and We are taking the steps to be more thorough when we take a reservation so that those who are here for a quiet time are not placed in areas where we have groups of sports teams or wedding goers that have a totally different expectation of what noise levels and bedtimes should be! I sincerely apologize that your stay wasn't what you deserved.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

On my recent road trip, this was the first hotel I stayed at, one of the most expensive, and the most disappointing. The bed was comfy, but the pillows were horrible. We ended up bringing in our own from the car as their were completely supportive. They were full of when felt like a sparse amount of lumped cotton batting from some craft project, not anything a pillow should be made of unless they are incredibly cheap. We were too tired to argue, and ended up just sleeping with our pillows and leaving first thing in the morning. Definitely will never be staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ButtonFox
Duane R, Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the accommodations you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction

Reviewed 8 June 2014

This is the hotel where our team is staying for an event, and if not for that, I wouldn't choose to stay here. It's convenient to the shooting park, but next time we'll probably just bring our trailer and camp like we did last year. The room smells like cleaning chemicals, and it's one of the smallest 2-queen rooms my family of 4 has ever stayed in. The hotel seems newly decorated, and it's pretty, but the small bathrooms and textured walls make it obvious that this is an old building. The beds are soft and squishy (not good) and the air conditioner is loud. Thank goodness we're only here for 2 nights.

1  Thank TardisMama
Duane R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you for your comments! I am sorry your stay was less than perfect, we are very proud of our staff and service!! I hope your experience at the trap shoot was a good one. We are always looking for ways to better ourselves and will try our best to resolve the issues that we can. Take care,
Duane

Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria
Hampton Inn and Suites Alexandria
Days Inn Alexandria MN
#10 of 12 in Alexandria
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Alexandria
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Glenwood

Been to Holiday Inn Alexandria? Share your experiences!