“Great Location in Downtown Alexandria”
Review of Depot Express

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Depot Express
Ranked #44 of 73 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We ate here after visiting the Runestone and Maritime museums. This restaurant is conveniently located next door. We at out on the deck with a group overlooking the lake. Thy have a great salad bar and wonderful popovers. The menu offers a nice variety.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We have been eating at Depot Express for many years on summer vacations on a lake near Alexandria. This is classic American family restaurant food, with a range of choices. We like wild rice soup (when available), walleye dinner or sandwiches, and fish tacos. The patio,is lovely, and the restaurant is nicely accessible by bicycle on the Central Lakes trail.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We took my inlaws here on Saturday July 5th for dinner. We are not from the area but my inlaws live in Osakis. They have been here before and said it was ok. That should have been our first clue. We had six in our party and the hostess first seated us at a table for four. The menus and the atmosphere seemed very dated. I would not call this place quaint. It just seemed dirty. There were flies flying around that you had to constantly keep swatting at. Now one would think in northern MN that you would be able to order good fish. My husband ordered the salmon and it was terrible. It appeared to be frozen and not fresh. I had the walleye dinner, which the walleye was over seasoned and the wild rice pilaf was cold. We had the walleye bites for a starter and they appeared to be frozen as well. They had a mushy consistency and looked like under cooked tater tots. My mother in law had the Bella's chicken. It looked absolutely disgusting. My daughters speghetti looked ok, but had a glob of melted mozzarella cheese on top of it. The only thing that seemed appealing was my sons plain cheese pizza. Our waiter checked on us once, brought us refills and then we didn't see him again. We actually had to track him down for the bill. This place is overpriced for the quality of food. We will not be eating here again when we visit. Terrible food, terrible service.

5  Thank TravelingMNgirl
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My wife and I and her sister went to the Depot Express for dinner. All three of us had the walleye pike and it was very good. The service was fine and we would eat there again if we were in the area.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Where to start, ahh at the door. Me and My girlfriend arrived and waited for a server to seat us for about five minutes. The restaurant wasn't busy except at the bar. The decor looked like it was from the 50's way out dated and just made it feel too suit and tie compared to what we where there for. The food was horrible and i could have cooked better from home, i'm writing this the day after we ate and my girlfriend had to leave work for what her doctor believes is food poisoning. I will never return to this establishment again. Though i want to say the waitress was great and the only reason we left a tip.

3  Thank David M