“Severely Lacking in All Aspects!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Depot Express

Depot Express
Ranked #50 of 71 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dawson, Minnesota
“Severely Lacking in All Aspects!”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My wife and I dined here for the very first time on Friday August 1st, 2014 at the recommendation of a friend. It all was very slow and "nightmarish" as our dining experience here progressed. When we walked in the door at 6:20 p.m., we could see there were open tables, so it didn't appear they were all that busy. It took 5 minutes for us to get seated in the upstairs balcony. It took another 10 to be approached by a waiter dropping off menus at our table. It took another 20 minutes to have our order given to our waiter at 6:55 p.m. It took another 40 minutes for my order to arrive, and 45 minutes for my wife's order to arrive at our table. Yes it's true. The waiter didn't even have the respect or courtesy to bring our meals out at the same time, and gave the excuse that my wife's steak was "too frozen" to get done in a more timely manner. She ordered her steak "medium well", but it was too well done for her liking. I had ordered the "all you can eat" Friday fish and shrimp dinner (I love seafood), but even with that, they were slow in bringing me 2nd and 3rd helpings. The quality of the fish and shrimp was okay, but nothing to seriously brag about. In addition, there was a group of six people seated to a table close to ours that were seated AFTER US, and the wait staff took their order and that table got their food long before we did. When we were done eating, we then had to wait additional minutes for our check to arrive. We left a minimum tip (even though in my opinion they deserved nothing), and upon walking downstairs to the till to check out and pay for our meal, there was no one minding the cash register. We waited 5 minutes, and still no one showed up. In disgust and frustration, we said " to hell with these goons" and plopped our money and guest check in front of the till and walked away. As we were strolling out, another couple walked in, and asked us about this restaurant. We told them the food was okay, but the service was downright "awful." They turned around and walked out the door behind us. I can't blame them. Perhaps this establishment caters only to the local crowd, because they sure did not cater to us. Simply stated, this dining option has serious issues and problems. We won't return.

• Visited August 2014
8 Thank Lee R

Minnesota
“Great Location in Downtown Alexandria”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We ate here after visiting the Runestone and Maritime museums. This restaurant is conveniently located next door. We at out on the deck with a group overlooking the lake. Thy have a great salad bar and wonderful popovers. The menu offers a nice variety.

• Visited July 2014
“Nice family restaurant, nice location”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We have been eating at Depot Express for many years on summer vacations on a lake near Alexandria. This is classic American family restaurant food, with a range of choices. We like wild rice soup (when available), walleye dinner or sandwiches, and fish tacos. The patio,is lovely, and the restaurant is nicely accessible by bicycle on the Central Lakes trail.

• Visited June 2014
“Terrible food, terrible service. Need I say more?”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We took my inlaws here on Saturday July 5th for dinner. We are not from the area but my inlaws live in Osakis. They have been here before and said it was ok. That should have been our first clue. We had six in our party and the hostess first seated us at a table for four. The menus and the atmosphere seemed very dated. I would not call this place quaint. It just seemed dirty. There were flies flying around that you had to constantly keep swatting at. Now one would think in northern MN that you would be able to order good fish. My husband ordered the salmon and it was terrible. It appeared to be frozen and not fresh. I had the walleye dinner, which the walleye was over seasoned and the wild rice pilaf was cold. We had the walleye bites for a starter and they appeared to be frozen as well. They had a mushy consistency and looked like under cooked tater tots. My mother in law had the Bella's chicken. It looked absolutely disgusting. My daughters speghetti looked ok, but had a glob of melted mozzarella cheese on top of it. The only thing that seemed appealing was my sons plain cheese pizza. Our waiter checked on us once, brought us refills and then we didn't see him again. We actually had to track him down for the bill. This place is overpriced for the quality of food. We will not be eating here again when we visit. Terrible food, terrible service.

• Visited July 2014
5 Thank TravelingMNgirl
Anacortes, Washington
“Good Walleye Dinner”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My wife and I and her sister went to the Depot Express for dinner. All three of us had the walleye pike and it was very good. The service was fine and we would eat there again if we were in the area.

• Visited June 2014