“Needs to be updated”

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Alexandria
Spearfish, South Dakota
“Needs to be updated”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

A block of rooms was reserved for a small reunion, which led us to believe that this would be a nice place to stay (based upon the reputation of the chain). The positives were that it was clean and offered a pretty decent free breakfast, in addition to coffee, cookies (stale), and fruit at the front desk. The negatives were that we have never stayed in a place with such worn-out furniture. We had a suite, and the cushions on the couch were torn all across the front. The dressers had chips and gouges in them and looked like a dog had chewed on them. 5 of us couples stayed here, and the furniture was in pretty much the same condition in each room. One of the desk clerks seemed to spend a fair amount of time smoking outside by the front door.

Room Tip: The rooms are a nice size, but look at the room before you take it.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank icb57783
countryale, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Alexandria, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
We are currently in the process of updating our hotel, unfortunately all of this takes time. This fall we are expecting the arrival of new beds, furniture and new accessories, as well as the addition of the fixness center. I am sorry that you were not happy and I hope you give us another chance after we are completely updated.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We only stayed one night in a whirlpool suite. The stay we okay, nothing to write home about. The room seemed clean but the sheets seemed a bit old and worn and the mattress wasn't comfortable, I woke up with a sore back. I also heard a lot of high pitched whistling coming from the pipes or somewhere, it was pretty annoying. We were disappointed to not have a balcony
The breakfast was typical although a little better than some places we've stayed. They could add a few tables. While we were eating another couple had their food in their hands but nowhere to sit, we invited them to join us - which they did.
Our stay was okay, we'd probably stay here agin -- just hope they get new linens and mattresses.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from noisy pipes, also try to get a balcony.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Made reservations months ahead card got charged immediately, then to reverse charge cost a fee. Upon arrival 2 of our rooms were not downstairs as we had reserved them to be. Beds uncomfortable, breakfast offered was not possible due to being over crowded. Air conditioners did not keep rooms cool. No pool. Non smoking room smelled if smoke bothering my asthma.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank greghutch
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Alexandria, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
We regret to hear about your disappointment in the room you received and for the other issues that occured during your stay. We attempt to fulfill each of our guest’s requests to the best of our ability. Prior to your next stay, we welcome you to contact us at Corporate Customer Care, so we may discuss your accommodations in detail.

Travellers are raving about these Alexandria hotels

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Nice location, rooms were big, great breakfast, friendly staff, huge pool and hot tub. (Water could have been a bit warmer) Morning manager was very friendly....knocked off money from our room when informed of a problem. Great one night stay. Currently being updated.

Grand Rapids, Minnesota
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times in the past, and would have rated it as a 4-star.
This time I would consider it a 3-star. The room was in a major need up an upgrade.
Older bedding and décor compared to other Country Inn;s. One of the bed sheets had
blood on it. The room either smelled like smoke or vary musty. The air conditioning in the
room was extremely loud and hard to sleep at night. The breakfast area was nice and
had lots of options for eating..

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We had no problems. Staff was friendly. Room was clean and well stocked. Breakfast area was large and the usual food although one day we even had omelets. Pool water was chilly but the grandson didn't mind. Certainly would stay again.

NJ
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights with the pops while on a business trip. He took care of the lodging for our trip and when I found out it was to be here I popped on to tripadvisor and was dreading the stay! People made it sound terrible and worn down? Quite frankly I've never stayed anywhere that is categorized as an "inn" as opposed to a hotel. I'm very particular about lodging wherever I go and honestly thought I would be aghast. However, it was really quite fine.
The outside certainly does look much better than the inside. The "lobby" area is quaint. My father, who has been here before, noted that there were improvements from the last time, such as new flooring in the lobby area.
We checked in around 9pm or so and there was just 1 staff that we saw and she seemed to be having a hard time with a customer on the phone. I could tell she was trying to be patient, and she was friendly enough with us.
Our room was on the second floor and towards the back and therefore quiet. There was a convenient entrance from the back parking lot (using key card).
Yes the room was no Ritz Carlton, but my review and rating is based on the price and value for such price.
Unlike other reviewers our room was clean. I noticed some stains on the curtain, but strangely enough I wasn't bothered (maybe I expected worse from reading reviews). Really hated the decor (flowers on bedding and plaid and such), but that's subjective.
I was surprised to see a flat screen tv, and of fairly decent size). To me that bumps it up 1/2 star. It instantly modernizes a room in my opinion.
Lots of outlets which makes the room practical. Table and 2 chairs. 1 armchair.
The bathroom was clean and lots
of counter space. Plenty of towels and the water pressure made me happy. :) that bumps it up another 1/2 star because I've been to 5* hotels with lousy water pressure which can ruin one's long awaited shower after a long trip.
The pillows are tiny for some reason. They look like they belong on a child's bed. And crazy soft. If you like firm pillows, I've no clue if front office will provide.
Breakfast was solid and the lady who was in charge of it, although a bit grim faced and perhaps could smile and say good morning(?) was super attentive, and was checking that everything was clean and stocked up. I saw her come and go looking around and taking care of the area multiple times in the 15 minutes I was in there. Coffee, oatmeal, fruit, pastries, yogurt, waffles(u make your own), cereal etc etc were available.
Overall I was satisfied and I hope people give the place a chance!

• Stayed July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Alexandria
Days Inn Alexandria MN
Days Inn Alexandria MN
#11 of 12 in Alexandria
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Glenwood

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Alexandria? Share your experiences!