“Horrible front desk staff”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Alexandria
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The woman who checked us in was dirty - greasy hair, dirty nails and in a wrinkled shirt way too big for her. Very unprofessional. Additionally, the breakfast room trash was overflowing and smelled bad. There was no staff around - including at the front desk - to report this to, so we left and went somewhere else for breakfast. The only time we saw a staff member was when we checked in. Otherwise, nobody was at the desk and we didn't see anyone in the halls.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Country Inns & Suites By Carlson
countryale, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

I am extremely sorry about the experince you recieved at our hotel. I will speak to all of my staff about this and correct the issues you discused.

There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Alexandria

Reviewed 30 July 2014

My husband and I came to Alexandria to bike on the Central Lakes Trail, so we weren't looking for a fancy room just a clean place to shower and sleep. The place is clean and the staff was great, but the facility really needs a makeover. Locks on the entries were broken. Whirlpool was cold. The computer in the lobby didn't have a stable internet connections, more than half the time it was unable to connect. The toilet broke, there were areas of peeling paint in our room the ceiling in the first floor hallway was on the door trim. Dark and creepy.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Country Inns & Suites By Carlson
1  Thank James P
countryale, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

I apologize for the condition of our bathrooms. I realize that they do need work and we are under renovation, with this said, we will be repainting the bathrooms as occupancy allows. We are also adding new lighting all through the building, I do have this in the process. We will also be giving the hallways a face lift too. Unfortuneately this all takes time but I assure you we are in the process of correcting them.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed at this location while in town for a wedding. Very brief stay and I was a little worried about prior reviews. Our room was very nice and was one just recently renovated. There were a few issues with paint touch up needed but nothing that is a huge default. Bed was super comfy and room was very clean. The hotel over all is very clean and the breakfast area is very nice.

Staff was good with the exception of the front desk and my complaint would be regarding the check in. We arrived at 3:15pm check in was 4:00pm. The gal at the front desk told us that OUR room was not ready. Told her we were in town for a wedding and would really like to check in and we were told none of the 60 rooms were ready. 45 minutes prior to check in and you have no rooms ready? And she indicated everyone checked out at noon and they were running behind. So we had to come back to the hotel after the ceremony, check-in and then go back to the wedding, kind of a hassle but it was 45 minutes not hours early. And the other item was when I came back to check in I was assigned a room on the 2nd floor I told her my husband was disabled and would like a room on the first floor, she told me that was not possible and I was not in the mood to argue an issue since I needed to get back to the wedding. There are not a lot of stairs but for a person with a cane and balance issues, the stairs are an issue, So me giving this a high review is based solely on the room and not the front desk staff.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
countryale, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

I apologize for this inconvience, it was not our intention to cause you any undue stress. Please understand we try to do our best with all of our guests, who all have places to go. I sincerely apologize. Thank you for your suggestions, we will try and accommodate everyone better in the future. Have a wonderful week.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

The Country Inn and Suites is just tired feeling. There are water stains on the ceilings in the halls and bathrooms, the towel bars are barely hanging on and the bedspreads are old school floral nylon. While the breakfast was good, the staff was busily unloading boxes and being inattentive to the guests. The front desk help was outside smoking (both little front deck areas seem to be for smokers) on at least 3 different occasions when we came in. It was quiet when we were there and we had a comfortable night's sleep, it just doesn't seem worth the money when there are other places in town.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank kagardner
countryale, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

I sincerely apologize for the issues you had here while staying at our hotel. We are under renovation at this time and have ordered new beds and bedding and are waiting for thier arrival. I apologize for the Sysco order arriving when it did, but that is done by Sysco's time table and for us to deal with when it gets here. We try our best to not have it interfear with taking care of our guests. I will promise to speak to the front desk about the smoking issue and I do sincerely apologize.

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

We will always patronize Carlson's Country Inn & Suites after the last few experiences. The first time to this location. This property must have just been renovated; everything spotless and like new. the breakfast -- continental included scrambled eggs, sausage, waffles, fruit, coffee and juice. I highly recommend this property and being a travel agent I can say you can't go wrong with Carlson properties.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed here 3 years ago, and found it to be a bit more run down than last time. BUT they are clearly in the middle of renovations. We had two rooms, both were clean, well lit, and comfortable. Jazzui was large and a great temp - much apreciated after a long day of hard labor! Staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was ok, but not well stocked - seemed everythig was out at the same time. Over all, I'd stay here again next time I'm in town.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Since our stay here two years ago, the hotel has seen renovations and updating...new carpeting and furniture and painting. We found it clean, comfortable and certainly met our needs. We met family that included three very active children ages 2 to 11. The pool was great for them and we had plenty of room in the suite for pizza after serious swimming. The breakfast was very nice, the personnel very pleasant and we just couldn't have asked for a nicer experience.

Room Tip: The extra few dollars for a suite are definitely worth it..especially if you plan to be here for a f...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Loy N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Alexandria
Best Western Alexandria Inn
Best Western Alexandria Inn
#2 of 12 in Alexandria
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Parkers Prairie

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Alexandria? Share your experiences!