“Winter vacation”

Arrowwood Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Arrowwood was a great place to meet up with friends and family for a Winter vacation. Plenty of indoor and outdoor activities - although most had an additional cost assoiated with them. Room rate (higher than expected, even with group rate) was for room only with no breakfast or activities included (other than a discount on the water park, and free sledding). Inland suite room was clean and roomy, although dated with older decor and poor lighting. The SnowCenter was well maintained with quality snowmobile equipment (with snowsuits and helmets), and sleds. Nice size pool, hottub, and indoor activity center (tennis, basketball, etc). Amy was very informed of the group rates and helpful when making the reservation.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
arrowwoodgm, General Manager at Arrowwood Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

We appreciate the great review and helpful suggestions! I'm glad you enjoyed all the great activities and amenities we offer in the winter. We're looking forward to hosting your group again!

Reviewed 5 December 2013

We decided to take our 4 kids on a mini vacation and came to Arrowwood for a night. We had an executive family suite which was very nice and roomy, the wet bar sink was a little corroded and the bathroom lights took quite a few minutes to brighten up. Which kinda sucked when you were getting in the shower. No big deal though. I didn't like the maze it took to get from our room to the water park. the water park itself was great. My only complaint is that the hot tub was luke warm so don't know why younger kids can't be in it. In the morning it was slightly warmer but not anywhere near hot. Overall great stay and will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for the great comments and suggestions! We're happy to hear you will definitely stay with us again!

Reviewed 8 November 2013

We were very excited to attend a large event at this resort. We rented a townhouse in order to be able to entertain various groups of people that worked for my husband. While the town house was nice for entertaining, we wanted a separate space for the parties and guests to use the bathroom. The toilet was clogged before we got there and a worker arrived quickly with a "dirty" snake and walked through our roomful of guests and it still was not fixed. We got a phone call that they couldn't fix it until morning so just to put a out of order sign on it. So we had to open our bathroom for the guest.
We had lunch for all the people at my husbands office, once again, they arrive with a poop covered snake to walk through our lunch guests. I was then told they had to pump it through the shower. I asked them to come back after lunch and they were very kind and did.
When I informed the manager about the situation and how disappointed we were, she told me she was aware of it. No, sorry for your inconvenience, no we'll take care of you by knocking off some of our price, nothing.
Then our event was poorly staffed and the staff was not concerned. The bar line was 100 people deep, the noise behind the curtains during our military ceremony was extremely disrespectful.
Its a shame because I could have forgiven the issues if the manager and staff seemed sorry or caring at all and they just lost a biannual event that brought in tens of thousands of dollars.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ladylw

Thank you for your review of Arrowwood Resort. I am sincerely sorry about the issues we had with the plumbing in your townhome. Although our staff tried to rectify the situation as requested, unfortunately we weren't able to solve the problem the first time we tried. I'm glad our staff were polite and accommodating and were recognized for that. Again, I am sorry about the inconvenience. There was a line at the bar initially, but after the initial rush, our staff was able to keep up and accommodate all the guests in a timely fashion. I do apologize for the noise behind the curtains, as the staff couldn't see what was happening in the room, they didn't realize that your program had started, we would never purposely be disrespectful. As soon as they were made aware of it, they did cease any further noise.

Thank you again for your comments. I hope we are able to connect in the future to further discuss how we can compensate you for the inconveniences you had to endure.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We had an awards dinner and stayed one night. My son and I are gluten free and we normally expect a different meal from the rest of the folks. We were delighted to have a meal that was so delicious and was the same as the rest of the guests, just gluten free, the amenities and rooms are very nice.

We had breakfast in the morning and at the buffet the cooks pointed out gluten free items and said they make GF pancakes upon request. We did not even request them and he brought out pancakes and a GF dessert. They really cater and take the time to do it right. It's the difference of getting sick to me or not with gluten. They exceeded my expectations.

Thumbs up to Arrowwood for their efforts! Thank you!

Room Tip: Lake views have awesome sunrises!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
arrowwoodgm, General Manager at Arrowwood Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

We are so happy to hear that we exceeded your expectations on the meals you had at Arrowwood! We take great pride in our ability to handle and accommodate any special diets, and when made aware of them, we go above and beyond to make sure we make the meals as tasty and delicious! I'll share your comments with our staff, as they like to know when we get a thumbs up! Thank you for sharing your comments!

Reviewed 23 October 2013

We went for MEA, booked the room about three days before we arrived. Our room was huge and in really great shape. The only thing I would say is that it had quite a strong smell, not smoke or anything rotten, just a strange smell. Aside from that, we were happy with the room and the ample space. We came for the waterpark and the kids loved it. The only issue with the night we were there was that it was actually really cold in the waterpark area and even in the water in the hot tub wasn't even very hot. Most waterparks tend to be very tropical and this was really cold. In speaking with the staff, they acknowledged the problem and said it was being worked on.

1  Thank mudhonie

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your comments and suggestions. I'm pleased you had a great trip! I'm sorry the room had a strange smell, I've alerted housekeeping and they have rectified the problem. I also appreciate your comments regarding the waterpark temperature. We do keep our waterpark warm and tropical for the enjoyment of our guests, thank you for letting us know that it was chilly so we could fix the issue!

Again, we appreciate your helpful suggestions and we look forward to seeing you again soon at Arrowwood Resort!

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We took our first trip to the hotel for MEA 2013 and stayed in one of the loft rooms. The bathroom had mold in the shower, and the light fixture in the bathroom was very dusty. The wallpaper was bubbling throughout the hotel room, and the heat/fan vent was very dirty. Called to request cleaning service because of the mold and dust, the front desk wrote down the details but when we came back to the room we discovered that most, not all of the mold was removed from the shower and the light fixture was still dusty. Most importantly no one apologized for the room being so dirty. My 2 year old son found an old wristband for the waterpark from four months ago somewhere in the bedroom, GROSS.

The place seems to deal in quantity not quality. The waterpark was pretty run-down, water guns were ducked taped because they were broken.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
arrowwoodgm, General Manager at Arrowwood Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Thank you for the review. I sincerely apologize for the cleanliness issues you had with your room. There is simply no excuse for what you experienced, but we do appreciate you telling us and allowing us the opportunity to correct it. We will be starting an extensive renovation of the suite addition that you stayed in this winter. We hope you give us another opportunity to show you the level of service and accommodations you would expect and deserve from Arrowwood Resort! Thank you again!

Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

We came up for MEA weekend. The rooms are spacious and the door to outside was nice. The floor was dirtier, however than it should've been. My son had dropped a small Lego which gave me a need to search the floor near the beds. I found dried orange peels, Cheerios and other items that the housekeeper should have found.

I've been to many hotels in the past 5 years, and at this price point there should be some breakfast offering besides a sitdown restaurant.

The kids had a lot of fun at the waterpark, which would be the main reason we would come back. Some updates are definitely needed, along with a stronger emphasis on cleanliness here to get to a 4 or 5 rating.

Stayed: October 2013

We appreciate your comments! I'm happy you enjoyed your guestroom and the indoor water park! I apologize for the items you found under the bed, you are correct in saying our housekeeper should have found them! Thank you for letting us know!

Again, thank you for your comments. We look forward to serving you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria
Hampton Inn and Suites Alexandria
Best Western Alexandria Inn
Best Western Alexandria Inn
#2 of 13 in Alexandria
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Glenwood

Been to Arrowwood Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!