“Nice but needs some TLC”

Arrowwood Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Alexandria
Cold Spring, Minnesota
“Nice but needs some TLC”
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival and check in I found out that my reservation had been messed up. Rachel was the person that was assisting me and she was awesome. She took ownership and in just a few minutes I had a room. My room needed some updating but was very clean, comfortable and the bed was extremely comfortable. The view from my room was beautiful. We had breakfast at the restaurant and it was excellent the service was also very good. Overall not bad for the price but the view of the lake is well worth the stay.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
arrowwoodgm, General Manager at Arrowwood Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for the review on TripAdvisor. I'm glad Rachel at the front desk was able to quickly help resolve your reservation issue and you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for the great comments about the cleanliness and food quality too! We hope to serve you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Shakopee, Minnesota
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed here for the first time and had a nice lake side view. The king room was spacious but the doors, frames, hallways, etc were pretty beat up and needed some paint and fixing. The hotel was quiet so couldn't really tell if the rooms were quiet or not. The staff was very helpful and friendly and the grounds were very nice. They do a nice job of plenty of activites for the kids so it does give adults a chance to get out and about. The food at the restaurants were fair to average at best, very high priced but nothing special.

Overall a very plesant experience but very pricey, but if it's a place that is a choice for a family vacation I would say you would be happy.

Room Tip: Try to get lakeview, it is very pretty.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for the nice comments about your stay with us at Arrowwood Resort! I'm glad you enjoyed the kids activities and the wonderful lake view. We are continually renovating the resort. Thank you for mentioning the areas that needed some paint and fixing. We'll address these issues.

Thank you again for your review and your recommendation to others that they will enjoy Arrowwood for a family vacation!
Green Isle, Minnesota
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We just got home from a 3 night stay at Arrowwood. We had a KILLER great time!!
I based a lot of our accomodation choice on these reviews on tripadvisor. General consensus said that staying in a room in the hotel was a gamble, so we opted for a 2 bedroom cottage and I do NOT regret "splurging" on it! It was pricey, I won't lie. But having two bedrooms (read: two doors separating us from our kid) AND a full kitchen was so worth it. We brought up a lot of our own food, but we did stop at the local grocery store too.
Each cottage has their own gas grill and we used it a couple times.
The kitchen was complete with every essential -- baking sheet, measuring spoons and cup, pasta strainer, etc.
The indoor/outdoor pools are well kept. A little dated, aesthetically, but clean with lots of
seating.
We only visited one restaurant, the Lake Cafe and we were pleased. Portions were plenty and satisfied my husband. Maybe it's the not "cocktail hotspot" but we were hot and wanted to be inside, and kind of had to push the guy for an adult beverage. The host, a guy who trains horses outside of work, he was great. Awesome at small talk and seemed genuinely happy that we were having a good time. I like him!

I do have a couple minor downsides.
1) For the price we paid for the cottage, a little more housekeeping would have been appreciated. They took out our garbage and gave us fresh towels, but I would have liked a quick sweep of the hardwood floors and for them to have made our beds. Also, upon arrival, I noticed a few marks on the walls, a few dead bugs on the windowsill, the light fixture in the bathroom could use a dusting, and most of all -- a big dead mosquito in the fridge.
2) The waterpark is actually kind of lame. For one, it is a little dark in there. They can't help that -- whatever. Second, the major attraction (lazy river and those AWESOME looking big waterslides) were both kaput when we were there. It wasn't going to be fixed until 4! What!! Maybe I'm just cheap -- but the tickets to get in per person are kind of spendy when realistically you would only spend a few hours in there. I wish they would have offered a discount, or maybe even a voucher for food while we played in there. The lifeguards in there are half-bored girls. One of them actually seemed attentive, the others were gazing around, one was even singing to herself while swinging her whistle around and sipping on her McDonalds drink.
I'd save the waterpark for the last day of your trip, and if your kids are older, I'd even wait until after 4 when the tickets are cheaper. The other pools are already great and if your kid is like mine -- they'll have a good time just splashing and cannonball-ing into the water.

Overall -- we had a blast. We all returned home exhausted and sunburnt which to me means a great time. Most of the resort was super duper soggy, but they did their best to keep it looking nice and keep the activities going. The children's activity center was wonderful for a rainy afternoon.

We will TOTALLY be back!!

Room Tip: Splurge for the privacy of your own cottage/townhouse. Having your own deck (with furniture) is so n...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Wow, what a great review! Thank you for taking the time tell others about the great stay you head with us! I also appreciate the comments about the opportunities we have to improve. We take these very seriously and appreciate the feedback.

Thank you again for all the super comments. We are happy to have you return to Arrowwood Resort in the future!
Albany, Minnesota
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed here for a weekend getaway with some friends all who have children younger than 8. Lots to do for the little kids in the waterpark area!! Staff was helpful & courteous and our room was clean & very large. Planning another get together here soon!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We had to come to town for funerals, and they were so accommodating and friendly , and let our whole family have a special rate. We thank you.we loved the rooms with the decks and the double sliding doors even though it rained a lot the view was stunning and the room service was great

San Diego
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Our family spent four nights in a Suite at Arrowwood Resort in July, at which we joined over 50 others during a family reunion. The resort was our best option for a central location convenient for most, but not necessarily a great option. After glancing at their website, I felt the resort was promising. Once there, I was made aware of the dated and unclean rooms, smoke-friendly atmosphere (a particular peeve of mine during pregnancy), subpar food AND drinks served at the Lake Cafe, Deck Bar and room service. The room felt much like a cheap hotel and not a suite. Good luck getting a decent cup of coffee anywhere in the resort! The "fancier" of the two bars, Rafter's, had a great view but there was nothing that stood out aside from that, including the service. On a positive note, our room had a nice view of the lake and we were entertained with several activities throughout our stay. Families with small children enjoyed the cookie decorating, bean bag tournaments, recreation room with board games and movies, small indoor waterpark, indoor pool (it rained quite a bit while we were there), campfires, pontoon rides and the horse and donkey stables. Other families we were with rented three of the cottages, which are beautiful and a much better option than rooms in the resort. In short, there is plenty to do and a high potential for some fun-having but, for the cost of our stay, we did not feel we got a resort experience, nor did we enjoy resort-quality food.

Room Tip: Townhomes and Cottages are MUCH more superior than any of the guest rooms at the resort.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank suite_escapes
Thank you for choosing Arrowwood Resort for your family reunion! We appreciate the great comments and that you mentioned of a lot of the great family amenities and things we have to do for families. I'm happy to read your group really enjoyed all Arrowwood Resort has to offer. I'm sorry to read that you were not as excited about your room as others were. If you would like to discuss this further, please give me a call at the resort. I was also surprised to read your "smoke-friendly atmosphere" comment. All indoor space and all our guestrooms at Arrowwood are non-smoking. Again, thank you for staying at Arrowwood Resort for your family reunion. We look forward to welcoming your family back to Arrowwood in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Alexandria hotels

Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I went with my daughter and my mom this past weekend and I didn't enjoy it at all. I didn't get a chance to swim because there seems to be no deep water in the water park area. My daughter asked me to cross on the monkey bar in the water and you have to be 5 feet or under which I thought it was ridiculous that I couldn't even play with my daughter and she's 9 everything was out of order for adults it seems like. We played basketball a bit and went on the tube slide and that was the most fun. I asked my daughter if she liked it, she said it was ok but I wouldn't want to go there again. It was our weekend getaway and I feel like everything we tried doing in the water we were getting yelled at. The hotel in general was OK!

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the water park is nice and close
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank SNella7
I'm sorry to read that you didn't like the rules of the waterpark. The height rule on the waterwalk is to prevent injury, so if someone were to fall, they aren't able to hit their head on the side of the pool. The height restriction is set by the state health inspector to ensure our guest safety. Again, I apologize that you were not able to use this play feature as an adult. I'm glad you enjoyed the tube slides and playing water basketball. I do hope you give us another try. We would be honored to have you return to Arrowwood Resort again in the future.