“Nothing to "wow", but fairly priced”

GrandStay Hotel & Conference Apple Valley
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Apple Valley
NC
“Nothing to "wow", but fairly priced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

I'll get right to the point. If you're looking for an extended stay property and are willing to give up a little in order to same some money, then this hotel may be just right for you. Let's be clear - this hotel is definitely a notch below what you would expect from something like Staybridge, or one of the nicer Homewood Suites, but it is certainly a step up from something like Extended Stay America or Microtel. Compared to one of the nicer extended stays, I'd say they're about 80% of the way there at about 80% of the price.

There are some definite highlights here. First and foremost, the staff is wonderful. They were friendly, helpful, and it actually appeared that they enjoyed their jobs! The hotel is located a couple of blocks off of any roadway, so traffic noise is not an issue. There are lots of "conveniences" nearby. Within walking distance (I'll call that 1/2 mile each way) are 3 grocery stores, a Super Target, a couple of pharmacies, and probably 2 dozen fast-food and "family casual" restaurants (fine dining will require a long drive). The hallways were clean, the lobby was clean, the breakfast area was clean, and my room was clean. The kitchen area was immaculate, but not as well stocked as I'm used to. You can certainly read plenty elsewhere for an complete list of amenities.

At this price point, not everything is perfect, of course. Breakfast was neither awful nor great. The bedding seemed a little below par for this hotel class - nothing to make you feel like you were at the Motel 6, but it is obvious they "saved a little money" when buying beds and bedding. It is a little disappointing that they have no King beds in any rooms. There were two TVs, but they were curiously small and dated - basically old 19-inch square LCD monitors. I didn't have any time for TV viewing, but it would have been frustrating if I did. We had no noise at all from vehicle traffic, but some areas of the hotel are "people noisy" (particularly by the bar). I was traveling alone and don't mind such things, but my wife would have thought the color choices in the room a bit off.

The power went out about 2 hours before I was checking out (it was a widespread outage) that lasted about 45 minutes. That took the elevators out of commission - even after the power came back on, so I had to lug my stuff from the 3rd floor down to the ground floor. I didn't mind doing that, but I noted that the stairwell in the wing I was staying in did not go all the way up to the 4th floor. This left me wondering how the people on the 4th floor in that wing get out in an emergency. I'm guessing the stairwells in the other end of the building go up all the way - but I'd hate to find that way blocked off in case of a fire. I'm sure the fire dept would never have approved the building if there wasn't a safe exit, so I'm just saying that you'll want to check out the emergency exit situation AT THE TIME OF CHECKIN if you are on the 4th floor, rather than trying to figure it out during the confusion of an emergency. Of course, that is good advice anywhere, but particularly so at this hotel.

If you're looking to stay 3 or more nights at a hotel, or just want a suite hotel in general, you're definitely going to love this place compared to the Days Inn 2 blocks away. If you're hoping to get a Staybridge Suite at a Microtel price you won't find it here. If you want something that sits somewhere between those two points and is priced between them as well, then you probably won't be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank keithwnc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

This was our first time staying at the Grandstay in Apple Valley, and were pleasantly surprised. We normally stay at the Staybridge, and love the fact that Grandstay offers almost all the amenities at a much lower price. The rooms were a nice size. It included a bedroom with a queen bed, small tv and armoire. Our room had a small living room, small sofa, chair, table/desk, flat panel and a full kitchenette with a full-sized fridge, stove top, toaster, microwave, plates, cutlery, glasses and mugs. The hotel was very quite at night with the exception of in-considerate patrons that let their doors slam when they come and go.The hotel offers free Wi-fi which was relatively fast. It also has a small pool and hot tub exercise room. I recommend staying in a room away from the restaurant, and facing the empty field beside the hotel. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. There is a Culver's, Ramy's Mediterranean food (good pizza), a small Chinese food place, and a Dunn Bros coffee shop on the same lot as the hotel. There are alot of choices for shopping close by. Target, Burlington Coat factory, Half Price Books, Kohls, Barnes and Noble, Menards and Bed Bath and Beyond. The hotel is a 15 minutes drive to IKEA and MOA. Take Cedar road (Hwy 77). Take 77 to the end until it turns into a smaller road, and there is a lovely park and lake to take in. I could go on and on... but I think you get the point. Stay a week and you get a better rate. Very enjoyable!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the restaurant and facing the field.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank IggyB64
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Good location. The kitchen was very nicely equipped if one needed to cook. Like that the bedroom is separate from the rest of the unit. The bed was very comfortable. The tv's are a little small, but adequate flat screen, even if one is in the faux fireplace instead of a fire! Breakfast is typical hotel continental, but is missing fresh fruit. Very nice place to stay for a week on the road away from home.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

We had an amazing Stay at this hotel. We stayed for 5 nights, with our two children ages 2 1/2 and 7.

I was able to get a great rate from expedia.ca.

Staff were very friendly. hotel is in a great location with nearby restaurants and shopping. Hotel is also only 5 minutes away from the MN Zoo, and about 15 minutes away from the Mall of America.

Even though there was no public computer, staff allowed me to use a computer to access the internet and use the printer. I was very grateful for that.

Suite rooms are great rooms for family's with children. We were able to get our children to bed at a reasonable time on the sofa bed, then retreat to our private bedroom to relax.
Room was extremely clean, I even checked for dust on the shelf and no dust! Very impressed!

Continental breakfast was excellent!! Great tasting food. A variety of food. Everyday I was able to have something different for breakfast! Surprised to see that hot cooked eggs and sausages were offered in addition to the make your own waffles and other breakfast items. I ended up bringing the food up to my family in the room since they slept in every morning.

Pool area is small, but it didn't matter to us. Most of the time my family was too tired to swim. We did go swimming once, and it was ok.

This was a perfect hotel for us, and we will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Good rate, excellent location and well run - especially for a long stay. Also, they have a great bar/restaurant that is operated separately but directly accessed from the hotel lobby - for those rainy days. They have great food and an excellent happy hour - 2p until 6p! - great on tap beer selection including Guiness for only $3.00! per pint. Would highly recommend this hotel for a short or longer stay.

Room Tip: If the hotel isn't busy, look at the room before checking in to make sure it's a good locati...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
DSM
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Stayed 2 nights recently and what a hotel. Courteous and very friendly staff. Rooms were in excellent condition and having the kitchen area was a big plus. Quick 10 minute trip to MOA. Many restaurant choices within 5 minutes. Super Target is just down the road as is Cub foods for those wanting to stock the full size refridgerator. This is a fantastic place to stay. We had a 2 bedroom suite and it was so nice for the kids to have their own 'space' and not have their stuff strewn from one end of the room to the other. Breakfast choices were ok in the breakfast area, but could have been worse. Great newly developed area where this hotel is located at. We were on the 3rd floor directly over the bar and didn't have any issues. Would definitely go back!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
La Crosse, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

My husband, 18 month old son, and I stayed at this hotel for two nights while we visited the Minneapolis-St Paul area. It's a pretty great location for those wishing to shop in Bloomington or Burnsville and it's just a couple of miles from the zoo, too.

I loved having a kitchen available so we could make food for our little one and rely a bit less on eating out. I'm not sure there are enough tools in the furnished kitchen to cook a decent meal, but you can fix snacks and save leftovers easily enough. The layout of the one-bedroom suite is really nice for a family of three, and the hot breakfast is a big plus.

I agree with other guests who complained about noise. The people immediately above and next to us could probably hear our son squealing and.or crying occasionally because I could definitely hear them chatting and watching TV and showering (especially when laying in bed). It wasn't often enough to be a deal-breaker for me staying there again, but if you're a light sleeper, it might cause problems.

My only other complaint is that this place doesn't have king beds. We often co-sleep in our family, especially when we are in an unfamiliar place, and a queen size bed just doesn't cut it!
But there are plenty of pillows and blankets if you want to use the foldout sofa, and the overall homey atmosphere of the place and the room makes it a place we will probably try to stay in again.

The pool is small, but it was often totally empty.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Apple Valley
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Apple Valley
LivINN Hotel Minneapolis South / Burnsville
Staybridge Suites Eagan-Mall Of America
Best Western Premier Nicollet Inn
Hampton Inn Minneapolis/Burnsville
Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Eagan

Been to GrandStay Hotel & Conference Apple Valley? Share your experiences!