GrandStay Hotel & Conference Apple Valley
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Apple Valley
henderson, nv
“Just OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2010

Cost $89/night plus local/state taxes. Room size good. Kitchenette very helpful given 5 day stay. Located close to grocery store so easy to stock up. Bed was very VERY hard and uncomfortable. Pool room is small and way over chlorinated. Overall, value for the money is adequate at best.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank brendakaynv

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
des moines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2010

Traveled to shop with two teenagers and room was great. We stayed Sunday - Tuesday, so pool was not crowded, neither was the breakfast area. Staff were very pleasant and helpful and was located in area with lots of different types of shops. Would definitely recommend! Thanks for a great stay at the GrandStay!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
MN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2009

Because I do use my debit card- they charge DOUBLE THE AMOUNT & told me it will be taken off after I check out. So the money I needed to visit & spend in the Apple Valley area in sitting in pending in my bank due to The Grandstay policy- which is NOT listed on their website!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Grandstay, General Manager at GrandStay Hotel & Conference Apple Valley, responded to this review, 30 January 2010
We are no different than any hotel in the US. Debit Cards are significantly different than credit cards as debit cards are basically cash. The only way a hotel knows if a guest can cover the charges is to run an authorization "pending charge" for the amount of the stay, tax and incidentals. Just as you stated we do release the remaining funds at check out. It is the individual Bank that may take a few days to release the remaining funds to the card holder’s account. The debit card information is clearly stated on the only sign at our registration desk. We also ensure every guest that hands us a debit card is aware of the way debit cards differ from credit cards. It is a good idea to perhaps add a disclaimer on our website to educate future guests. Thank you for your response.
Minneapolis MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2009

Stayed after a long day of shopping at the MOA. Had 2 teenagers, mother in law, and two children under the age of 4. Rented two rooms to accomdate such a big group. I loved how the bedroom area was seperate and felt like home. So easy to get a 1 and 3 year old to bed when the room is seperated.
Room was very clean and nicely decorated. Staff were very helpfull and friendly!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
Ohio, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2008

We needed a two-bedroom suite in the Twin Cities area for a weekend stay, and came across this property through reviews on Tripadvisor.com. For the most part, I think this hotel delivered. Good beds, better-than-average linens, spacious if modest bathroom. It's located in a highly suburbanized area, so if you're looking to be surrounded by a Home Depot-Target-Ruby Tuesday-IHOP-Panera-Famous Footwear-Cub Foods-Menard's landscape, this is your place.

But there are a few caveats worth mentioning:

* You Get What You Pay For: Our two-bedroom suite was a very good price (under $130/night), and the layout of the room was sufficient for our needs (parents and one teen who craves privacy). But when we checked in, the counter around the bathroom sink hadn't been cleaned thoroughly (someone's toothpastey dregs remained), and the mini-fridge, while cleaned out, smelled horrible, as if moldy/mildewy stuff had been festering previously for quite some time. It smelled bad enough that we did not want to store food within, or even open the door because the odor then permeated the small kitchen.

* The ground-floor "restaurant" here (Panino's), is really more of a bar than a restaurant. We checked in on a Friday night and were too tired to set out again, so ordered from the on-site restaurant. I don't know if this was typical of the crowd it draws, but it was full of twenty-somethings whooping it up. I have no quarrel with that kind of crowd, but I sure prefer them not to be on the ground floor of my hotel -- especially since the smoking patio outdoors was below our room, and noisy. (Plus, the food was pretty greasy-awful.)

* Perhaps because this hotel IS such a good bargain, we found it full of families with young children. Again, I have no idea if this is typical but on Saturday morning a fairly large group of what looked (and sounded) to be 4-to-6-year-olds ran shrieking -- yes, shrieking -- through the hallways for a loooong time. After awhile, I called the front desk and politely asked them to please find the parents of these kids. The front-desk clerk was appropriately apologetic and I even personally heard her out in the hallway appealing for quiet.

Alas, some parents are oblivious to the need to teach their children consideration. Yes, I know: Young'uns have a tendancy to be noisy and do have pent-up energy. I'm the mother of an 18-year-old myself, but I'll tell you this: We would *never* had allowed our child -- who has traveled a lot -- to run screaming through hotel hallways early on a Saturday morning without the immediate admonition from us to "Use your inside voice!" This particular problem is more a reflection on the childrens' parents than the hotel, which I believed did try to address the situation. But do be advised, the potential for noisy children exists at this property probably because it is so reasonably priced and offers a fair amount of room for young families.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank BigTravelers
Omaha. NE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2008

My wife, 4 kids, and I stayed at the Grandstay and used it as our hub to visit a number of sites in Minneapolis. It was a short drive from most everything, a very convenient location.

The hotel itself was beautiful. We had a room with two queen beds and a pull out sofa, and it was very quiet. I can't emphasize this point enough... We had stayed in another hotel just the night before and heard almost everyting going on around us. Rarely did we hear any traffic above or below us, let alone in the room next door. In fact, two other travelers and I discussed this in the elevator the day I was checking out. The walls here are not paper thin, this is one quiet place to stay.

The rooms aren't as large as they appear on the website, of course, but the one we had was large enough for the 6 of us. The only really negative thing I can say about the room is that it lacked an amenities book with a map of the local area. Fortunately I brought my laptop and used their free wifi to get maps of the area, but a booklet of some sort would have been very helpful.

Breakfast wasn't too bad. They had scrambled eggs and sausage, various bagels, numerous cereals, pastries, hard boiled eggs, and bread. They also had several types of coffee and tea, and orange and apple juice. I've seen better, but I've also seen a lot worse. The staff did a good job keeping the area clean and stocked. Each staff member I met was very friendly and extremely helpful.

The pool was definitely smaller than I would have liked. My kids and I were in the pool when another family showed up, and things got VERY cramped.

Overall, I would consider this hotel again when/if I visit Minneapolis. The location relative to the price is just about the best I could find, and the quality of the hotel is exceptional.

• Liked — Location, quiet rooms, value for money
  • Disliked — Pool, breakfast buffet
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank AF_Fam
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2008

I had to find a hotel for relatives that were coming to the cities for Easter. I live in Lakeville, MN and wanted the hotel to be close to my home. My AAA Travel Agent recommended the GrandStay Suites in Apple Valley. I went there to visit and swim with the kids and the hotel is wonderful. It is classy looking when you first walk in and the staff is very pleasant. The suites are also great. We had four kids there and there was plenty of room for them to play. There is a full kitchen with a dishwasher. The two bedrooms were very nice with the down comforters and flat screen tv's in each room plus the main room. If there was a downfall for the hotel it would be that the pool is a little small but the kids had fun. I also think it would be a great place for a business traveler. There is a restaurant on site plus many close by. Target and Cub Foods are also very close. I would definitely recommend the hotel. My relatives loved it and will stay again next time they come to the area.

• Liked — Big rooms, full kitchen, convenience.
  • Disliked — It was great but if I had to pick one thing it would be the small pool for the kids but they had fun.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Apple Valley
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Apple Valley
Best Western Premier Nicollet Inn
LivINN Hotel Minneapolis South / Burnsville
Staybridge Suites Eagan-Mall Of America
Hampton Inn Minneapolis/Burnsville
Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Eagan

Been to GrandStay Hotel & Conference Apple Valley? Share your experiences!