“Excellent Hotel - Highly Recommended!!”

GrandStay Hotel & Conference Apple Valley
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Apple Valley
London
“Excellent Hotel - Highly Recommended!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2011

The Hotel was lovely! Clean and very homely a lot of effort has gone into the appearance to make it very warm and homelike. The room was immaculate and exactly like the photos which surprised me as some are different when you arrive! Very clean and even a great American bar diner called Paninos connected to the building where you can watch sports on the flat screens and eat great food! I would probably say a car would help as the area in general is fairly spaced out in Minnesota but the staff and hotel were A+ i would recommend this to anyone

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank DixyLondon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2010

We chose this hotel based on the availability of a suite (2 bedrooms), since we were traveling with six people (4 adults and 2 kids). The hotel's age (3 years), pictures, listed amenities, and relative proximity to the MOA caught our attention, and we booked through Priceline for a price that appeared competitive with similar properties.

The hotel was clean, and it is within walking distance to restaurants and other retail services. The suite provided a nice kitchenette and large desk/table, and 3 TVs. However, the single 3/4 bath with no fan for a suite was uncomfortable. One more than one occasion a member of our party had to go downstairs and use the common bathroom.

The pool was surprisingly small, and the max depth was 3.5 feet. Our kids didn't complain, but my wife and I were disappointed. One nice feature was a 2nd floor overlook area for the pool.

A standard breakfast was provided, and it was noticeably well stocked by the staff. The free newspapers in the common area was also appreciated. Our stay was in late November, and the seating closest to the exterior doors isn't desirable considering there is no separate entry doors to help intercept the weather outside.

We were a surprised the hotel didn't have a local restaurant list, even when asked, but the front desk staff did offer some suggestions. We walked to the Japanese steakhouse across the street for dinner, and were somewhat surprised to have hardpacked snow on one of the sidewalks leading out of the hotel (it wasn't snowing and the roads were clear). The hotel is smokefree, but the door to the attached club is close to one of the hotel entrance doors and so we had to walk by smokers on the way to and from the hotel.

During our one night stay the single pop machine was broken. The hotel provides a self-service pay canteen, and it would have been nice if it had been stocked with soda.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2010

After my father was released from the hospital, my sister and I had to find a place to sleep near his home in Apple Valley. We used Kayak and this place came up with a reasonable rate of $70 for one night via Expedia so we booked it; the hotel website was listed as $130. It turns out at $70 it was a great value! We got a 1 bedroom queen suite because we did not mind sharing a bed. The entire hotel is NON-SMOKING so if you are a die-hard smoker, stay elsewhere because if they smell even a whiff of smoke in the room, you’ll be charged a $250 cleaning fee. This was great for us since we are both non-smokers. The hotel was built within the last 3 years and looks like it. Everything is sparking clean and looks/works brand new.

The hotel had free high speed internet in our room, both wi-fi and a corded option, but we did not use it. Our suite had a kitchenette with a full size fridge & breakfast bar type seating, living room area with full size sleeper sofa and chair, a bedroom, and a bathroom. All were decent size and could accommodate up to 3 adults, maybe 4, without feeling cramped. Both the living room and bedroom had LCD TV’s with lots of channels to choose from; more choices than I’ve seen at most hotels lately. Plus they had a “sleep” function which I always appreciate. The bed was fine and the linens were adequate; nothing to rave about but nothing that caused aches and pains in the morning either. The heating/cooling unit kept the rooms at the desired temp and was whisper quiet. I loved it but my sister prefers to fall asleep with “white noise” like from a fan but she managed because the rooms are very sound proof; we never heard our neighbors or the road right outside our room. A bad thing about the unit was no dresser to put your clothes in. It had an armoire but not everyone wants to hang his/her clothes. We were only there for one night so did not get to actually use the kitchen. But we did use the bath and everything was clean and worked properly. Plus they provided Bath & Body Works toiletries which I absolutely love.

We did find time to enjoy the pool. When we arrived after 10pm we inquired about pool hours and were told children were not allowed in the pool area after 9pm so if we wanted to soak in the hot tub until the 11pm close, it should be nice and quiet. And it sure was! We were the only ones in the pool area. The entire pool area and the pool itself is one of the smallest ones I’ve seen and the hot tub states a limit of 3 but can probably accommodate up to 5 adults, though a bit cozy. The hot tub was indeed hot but the jets were not very powerful. I agree with another review both the pool and hot tub were over chlorinated; even after a shower I could smell the chlorine on my skin.

The free breakfast provided in the morning was what I’d call “deluxe continental”. They had the standard cold cereal, bagels, toast, muffins, pastries, coffee, milk, juice and limited fresh fruit (apples & bananas if I remember correctly). What made it deluxe was hard boiled eggs (I love those in the morning!), make your own waffles, yogurt and a make your own egg & sausage biscuit station. Everything my sister and I ate was at the correct temperature and mighty tasty; try the waffles with peanut butter (yummy!). When we got down there around 8:30am it was not crowded, though it was pretty full at around 9:30am, but the staff kept it clean and well stocked.

The area is very safe with many places to walk to though they are all pretty much chains of some sort: Super Target, Cub Foods, Culvers, Best Buy, etc. There are little pockets that try to offer some diversity: a local deli and Japanese steakhouse come to mind; again all within walking distance. Just watch the traffic because it is in suburbia and drivers are NOT use to watching for walkers.

All in all it was an excellent value for $70/night. I would definitely recommend it to all non-smoking travelers who are fine with a hotel located out in suburbia and a drive to any attractions/tourist areas. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank ttiottn1
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2010

This was a lovely hotel in the middle of the suburbs of Minneapolis. It was easy to get to, extremely clean, had a nice breakfast every day and a very responsive housekeeping department. For a small hotel it was perfect for us - we had one bedroom with a door, and a separate living area with a pullout sofa and bathroom off the living room. Two TVs, small kitchen, all well appointed and clean. Not a single complaint during this stay - my mom commented that it was as if the Grandstay had studied the design of every suite hotel and solved all the problems. A very nice stay, and if not exactly "grand," it was certainly very very good.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
henderson, nv
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2010

Cost $89/night plus local/state taxes. Room size good. Kitchenette very helpful given 5 day stay. Located close to grocery store so easy to stock up. Bed was very VERY hard and uncomfortable. Pool room is small and way over chlorinated. Overall, value for the money is adequate at best.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank brendakaynv
des moines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2010

Traveled to shop with two teenagers and room was great. We stayed Sunday - Tuesday, so pool was not crowded, neither was the breakfast area. Staff were very pleasant and helpful and was located in area with lots of different types of shops. Would definitely recommend! Thanks for a great stay at the GrandStay!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
MN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2009

Because I do use my debit card- they charge DOUBLE THE AMOUNT & told me it will be taken off after I check out. So the money I needed to visit & spend in the Apple Valley area in sitting in pending in my bank due to The Grandstay policy- which is NOT listed on their website!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Grandstay, General Manager at GrandStay Hotel & Conference Apple Valley, responded to this review, 30 January 2010
We are no different than any hotel in the US. Debit Cards are significantly different than credit cards as debit cards are basically cash. The only way a hotel knows if a guest can cover the charges is to run an authorization "pending charge" for the amount of the stay, tax and incidentals. Just as you stated we do release the remaining funds at check out. It is the individual Bank that may take a few days to release the remaining funds to the card holder’s account. The debit card information is clearly stated on the only sign at our registration desk. We also ensure every guest that hands us a debit card is aware of the way debit cards differ from credit cards. It is a good idea to perhaps add a disclaimer on our website to educate future guests. Thank you for your response.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Apple Valley
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Apple Valley
LivINN Hotel Minneapolis South / Burnsville
Staybridge Suites Eagan-Mall Of America
Best Western Premier Nicollet Inn
Hampton Inn Minneapolis/Burnsville
Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Eagan

Been to GrandStay Hotel & Conference Apple Valley? Share your experiences!