“More than just another bed and breakfast!”
Review of Arcadia Academy

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Arcadia
Arcadia Academy
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Arcadia
Springfield, Missouri
“More than just another bed and breakfast!”
Reviewed 8 June 2013

We stayed at the Arcadia Academy in late May and are looking forward to returning! We chose this bed and breakfast because of its close proximity to Elephant Rock State Park and Johnson Shut-ins. We had no idea what to expect from this bed and breakfast, but were in awe of what we found. The Priest House was beautiful, clean, and had all the right touches that one expects with an historical building. We had access to a sitting room supplied with games and upstairs balcony. Our room was nicely decorated, comfortable, and included private bath (all rooms have a private bath), T.V., and sofa.

Katherine and Darwin were excellent hosts! They were welcoming, friendly, and went out of their way to make our stay special. The dining room in the priest house was supplied with water, soda, hot cocoa, and coffee with fresh cream which was available to us throughout our visit. Breakfast was first-class and included traditional foods, but with delicious gourmet touches that certainly exceeded ordinary status.

Next door to the Priest House is the main building which included a creamery, with fresh made custard and waffle cones (a must), bakery, and restaurant which were busy and clearly popular with the locals.

The tour of the Academy revealed the 100+ year old history of the grounds and buildings, but also the impressive amount of time and work the owners have committed to renovating the area. We are looking forward to returning to this hidden gem in the future to see their progress.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Ada, Minnesota
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Unfortunately we picked the week in March with temps in the 40's to stay at the Arcadia Academy. Our intent was to take a break from the snow and cold of Minnesota. That didn't happen but our stay at the Arcadia Academy made up for the poor weather. The rooms at the Priest House are large and well appointed.They have recently upgraded to individual heating/cooling units in each room so even though it was cold outside, our room was warm and comfortable. While the bedrooms are furnished with antique furniture, the owners have looked out for their guests comfort with reclining sofa's for reading or relaxing, TV, and wifi to stay as connected, or not, to the outside world. The bed was very comfortable and the linens and pillows were the best.

We were able to choose our time for breakfast and each day we were served a different, attractively presented and tasty breakfast. My personal favorite was the curried pears! In the evening we looked forward to a special desert which was left for us in the breakfast room. Every one was a taste treat!. It was my husband's birthday while we were there and Katheryn and Darwin prepared a wonderful meal of our choice and even though they were catering a group of 65 in the restaurant, they made us feel as if we were their only guests that night. We ate a couple lunches at the restaurant and the food was excellent. Their pecan rolls are to die for. They also make the custard in the ice cream shop next to the restaurant.

The Arcadia Academy grounds are a work in progress but still give you a sense of calm. My husband loves to take photos and he found a wealth of interesting things to photograph. Guests are given a tour of the campus which you can't miss going on. The chapel is fabulous with its stained glass windows and pipe organ. A marvelous place for a wedding.

The entire family is very friendly and work to make your stay memorable. I would recommend this B&B to anyone planning a trip to Arcadia.

Room Tip: If you have difficulty stepping in and out of high bath tubs try the rooms with the fabulous rain sh...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ColleenG993
Ardmore, Oklahoma
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Arcadia Academy was a life experience that I am so glad we stumbled upon. My family and I had made a 10 hour drive to see my 90 year old grandma, and we were looking for a place to stay. We were turned away by another bed and breakfast, and we were never so happy to be turned away. First of all, Ironton and Arcadia is one of the most beautiful and charming places I've ever been. Secondly, Arcadia Academy is truly a jewel in the middle of America- unbelievably gorgeous- amazingly well preserved and quite a snapshot in history.

As far as the bed and breakfast part, we stayed in the priest's house, which could not have had more charm and character, as well as being tastefully updated. We stayed in the large master suite, with an awesome side-jet shower and a HUGE jacuzzi tub- it felt like a small swimming pool. The house itself was in fantastic condition for its age; lovingly restored and modernized while keeping the original charm. The beds were awesome- plenty of hot water- wonderful linens- we truly felt spoiled.

The breakfasts were amazing- hash browns, eggs, bacon, sausage, and french toast made from homemade bread with homemade carmel glaze with homemade maple syrup. Plus fresh fruit- what more could you ask for!! Plus a delicious pecan roll the size of a medium pizza!! A nice touch was the Keurig personal coffee maker. If you can't be happy here, then you are a pompous diva and there is no pleasing you.

Best of all was Kathryn- she and her husband are just truly awesome people. She is such a hard worker- she never stops. She gave us her cell phone number and was really just a phone call away if we needed anything- which we didn't, because she took such good care of us. Kathryn, her husband, kids, and parents all take loving care of the Academy and just couldn't do a better job. I truly cannot express how thankful I am that she went out of her way so much to make such a great memory for me and my family.

We never ate at the restaurant, just because it wasn't open when we had time to eat, but if the baked goods Kathryn sent home with us are any indication, I'm sure the food is fantastic. I had a special request the morning that we left- my grandma that I hadn't seen in 12 years wanted a cherry cheesecake. Kathryn made sure we had one when we left and said our goodbyes. (and only for $20!!) It sure looked delicious and grandma said it was wonderful!!

Last but not least are the buildings themselves. The gymnasium, the theater, the dormitories, the classrooms and the cathedral are just breathtaking. That place is so beautiful. It's unbelievable how much of the buildings remain intact, the wood not painted, and so much of the buildings are exactly as they were 100 years ago. What a treasure.

Thank you, Kathryn and family, for the experience of a lifetime. We will be back!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful and well-appointed- I know because Kathryn gave us a tour and let us cho...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Cordova, Tennessee
Reviewed 17 March 2013

My husband and I were recently in Arcadia Valley and stayed at the Academy. We love staying in historical B&B"s in that we can be a part of preserving history. Katherine is a delightful host and very accommodating. The Priest's House which is the B&B is very comfortable and updated. My favorite part however is the tour of the Academy which included the Chapel with Emil Frei stained glass windows and the gymnasium with lamella vaulted roof. This is a must stay for those interested in architecture and history.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Van Buren, Missouri
Reviewed 11 February 2013 via mobile

The Arcadia Academy Bed and Breakfast exceeded all of our expectations. We stayed in the beautifully appointed Priest House. The rooms are lovely and great beds and upscale linens. If you love history and architecture this is the place to stay. Breakfast was fabulous! Eggs, fruit, bacon, sausage, hashbrowns, toast and warm pastry! The best part of our stay was our host, Katherine. She is so warm and accomodating, truly a lovely person!!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Rebeca V
Logan
Reviewed 21 January 2013

For those who haven't recently been to Arcadia Academy, it is quite excellent! I came from Idaho to visit this area. I stayed in one of the hostel rooms. During my visit, I received EXCELLENT care and service. If you would like to add a little more history to your visit, this is definitely the place to come. Here at Christmas time, the combination of quality and festive atmosphere, makes it feel like home away from home. It was a comfortable family-friendly location. Our servers and hostesses were kind and very hospitable at Thee Abbey Kitchen. Their lunch menu was delectable. During my visit I ate at the salad bar. With the fresh greens, vegetables, and other toppings made it easy for me to make a salad just how I liked it. (I am very particular when it comes to salads.) The soups were hot, which was so nice to warm my insides from a cold winter day. The breads were made fresh each day, the best I had ever eaten. On Saturday, they had their hot dinner buffet. Home tasting meals added to my stay. They have such a beautiful historic building they are working to restore. What a neat place! They have events that go on throughout the months that make it enjoyable. Nearby are many attractions to keep you busy. This is the place to come to. Thank you so much Thee Abbey Kitchen & Arcadia Academy for making my stay so enjoyable! I will be back!

Room Tip: The new Bed & Breakfast rooms are wonderfully done. Each room comes with a breakfast served by a...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LacieLogan
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 11 November 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Arcadia Academy B&B and had breakfast and dinner at their Abbey Restaurant located on the premises. There are beautiful, historic buildings under renovation, very nice accommodations, wonderfully comfortable beds, antique decor all located on six beautiful acres. The home cooking was delicious for both breakfast and dinner. The family owners were most hospitable friendly, and went the extra step to make sure our stay was a pleasant experience. We definitely will return!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Patti S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcadia
Shepherd Mountain Inn & Suites
#4 of 6 in Farmington
Crown Pointe Lodge
Crown Pointe Lodge
#3 of 6 in Farmington

Been to Arcadia Academy? Share your experiences!