“Wonderful B & B”
Review of Arcadia Academy

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Arcadia
Arcadia Academy
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Arcadia
Reviewed 17 September 2013

My sister and I stayed at Arcadia Academy over the weekend after visiting family in the area. The staff was absolutely wonderful and very accommodating We stayed in the Garden Room which was beautiful, clean and very comfortable. We enjoyed hearing about the history of the academy and the events held annually from the owners, who are extremely nice people. We also enjoyed the restaurant and the new menu, especially the Monte Cristo sandwich. The cinnamon rolls are also to-die-for delicious. I will definitely plan on staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Arcadia Academy

Reviewed 13 September 2013

My husband and I stayed in August and it was hot outside! When we entered our room we found it very comfortable and cool thanks to a new remote controlled air conditioning system we controlled during our stay. We had just returned from vacation and we had stayed in two historic hotels and the Grand Hotel in Michigan. The bed at the Arcadia Academy was the most comfortable bed we slept in. Thanks in part to new mattresses. The breakfast each morning was awesome. I agree with some of the other reviews Katherine and her family are some of the hardest working people I have ever met. The homemade custard in the homemade waffle cone was terrific but we have NEVER had a pastry as delicious as the cinnamon roll we got from the restaurant. We also ate late lunch in Thee Abby and were pleasantly surprised when we ordered roast beef deli sandwiches to find real beef pot roast and not sliced deli meat on our sandwiches. The service in all areas was outstanding. I can't say enough about the history and uniqueness of the Academy and the grounds. Katherine's father took us on a tour and the chapel is one of the prettiest I have ever seen. We highly recommend you experience this unique and amazing B&B.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rose K
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We didn't stay, just stopped on the way by out of curiosity. I wish I had found this place sooner as I would have loved to stay here. The grounds are beautiful, the buildings interesting and a bit run down looking. We took a stroll through the graveyard, it was all nuns and priests dating back to the mid-1800's.

They make their own ice cream and it was fantastic!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Stephanie P
Reviewed 30 June 2013

My husband and I have been to a number of bed and breakfasts in various cities both in Missouri and other states but I have to say we have never had as great of service as we did at Arcadia Academy. Katherine and her entire family are some of the hardest working people I have ever met! Our room was clean and comfortable and we enjoyed the games in the parlor. We loved the tour of the academy that Katherine provided. The breakfasts we were served were amazing (my daughter said the pancakes were the best she has ever had), the food at the restaurant was fresh and tasty, and the custard was unbelievable (again my daughter thought it was the best she has ever had!). They provided us with information about the attractions nearby and even made us some sandwiches to take with us on our excursion. Highly recommend! We will be back and we can't wait to see the changes they make to the campus.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Garden room since our daughter was with us. She slept on a sofa sleeper which she...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 June 2013

We stayed at the Arcadia Academy in late May and are looking forward to returning! We chose this bed and breakfast because of its close proximity to Elephant Rock State Park and Johnson Shut-ins. We had no idea what to expect from this bed and breakfast, but were in awe of what we found. The Priest House was beautiful, clean, and had all the right touches that one expects with an historical building. We had access to a sitting room supplied with games and upstairs balcony. Our room was nicely decorated, comfortable, and included private bath (all rooms have a private bath), T.V., and sofa.

Katherine and Darwin were excellent hosts! They were welcoming, friendly, and went out of their way to make our stay special. The dining room in the priest house was supplied with water, soda, hot cocoa, and coffee with fresh cream which was available to us throughout our visit. Breakfast was first-class and included traditional foods, but with delicious gourmet touches that certainly exceeded ordinary status.

Next door to the Priest House is the main building which included a creamery, with fresh made custard and waffle cones (a must), bakery, and restaurant which were busy and clearly popular with the locals.

The tour of the Academy revealed the 100+ year old history of the grounds and buildings, but also the impressive amount of time and work the owners have committed to renovating the area. We are looking forward to returning to this hidden gem in the future to see their progress.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Unfortunately we picked the week in March with temps in the 40's to stay at the Arcadia Academy. Our intent was to take a break from the snow and cold of Minnesota. That didn't happen but our stay at the Arcadia Academy made up for the poor weather. The rooms at the Priest House are large and well appointed.They have recently upgraded to individual heating/cooling units in each room so even though it was cold outside, our room was warm and comfortable. While the bedrooms are furnished with antique furniture, the owners have looked out for their guests comfort with reclining sofa's for reading or relaxing, TV, and wifi to stay as connected, or not, to the outside world. The bed was very comfortable and the linens and pillows were the best.

We were able to choose our time for breakfast and each day we were served a different, attractively presented and tasty breakfast. My personal favorite was the curried pears! In the evening we looked forward to a special desert which was left for us in the breakfast room. Every one was a taste treat!. It was my husband's birthday while we were there and Katheryn and Darwin prepared a wonderful meal of our choice and even though they were catering a group of 65 in the restaurant, they made us feel as if we were their only guests that night. We ate a couple lunches at the restaurant and the food was excellent. Their pecan rolls are to die for. They also make the custard in the ice cream shop next to the restaurant.

The Arcadia Academy grounds are a work in progress but still give you a sense of calm. My husband loves to take photos and he found a wealth of interesting things to photograph. Guests are given a tour of the campus which you can't miss going on. The chapel is fabulous with its stained glass windows and pipe organ. A marvelous place for a wedding.

The entire family is very friendly and work to make your stay memorable. I would recommend this B&B to anyone planning a trip to Arcadia.

Room Tip: If you have difficulty stepping in and out of high bath tubs try the rooms with the fabulous rain sh...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ColleenG993
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Arcadia Academy was a life experience that I am so glad we stumbled upon. My family and I had made a 10 hour drive to see my 90 year old grandma, and we were looking for a place to stay. We were turned away by another bed and breakfast, and we were never so happy to be turned away. First of all, Ironton and Arcadia is one of the most beautiful and charming places I've ever been. Secondly, Arcadia Academy is truly a jewel in the middle of America- unbelievably gorgeous- amazingly well preserved and quite a snapshot in history.

As far as the bed and breakfast part, we stayed in the priest's house, which could not have had more charm and character, as well as being tastefully updated. We stayed in the large master suite, with an awesome side-jet shower and a HUGE jacuzzi tub- it felt like a small swimming pool. The house itself was in fantastic condition for its age; lovingly restored and modernized while keeping the original charm. The beds were awesome- plenty of hot water- wonderful linens- we truly felt spoiled.

The breakfasts were amazing- hash browns, eggs, bacon, sausage, and french toast made from homemade bread with homemade carmel glaze with homemade maple syrup. Plus fresh fruit- what more could you ask for!! Plus a delicious pecan roll the size of a medium pizza!! A nice touch was the Keurig personal coffee maker. If you can't be happy here, then you are a pompous diva and there is no pleasing you.

Best of all was Kathryn- she and her husband are just truly awesome people. She is such a hard worker- she never stops. She gave us her cell phone number and was really just a phone call away if we needed anything- which we didn't, because she took such good care of us. Kathryn, her husband, kids, and parents all take loving care of the Academy and just couldn't do a better job. I truly cannot express how thankful I am that she went out of her way so much to make such a great memory for me and my family.

We never ate at the restaurant, just because it wasn't open when we had time to eat, but if the baked goods Kathryn sent home with us are any indication, I'm sure the food is fantastic. I had a special request the morning that we left- my grandma that I hadn't seen in 12 years wanted a cherry cheesecake. Kathryn made sure we had one when we left and said our goodbyes. (and only for $20!!) It sure looked delicious and grandma said it was wonderful!!

Last but not least are the buildings themselves. The gymnasium, the theater, the dormitories, the classrooms and the cathedral are just breathtaking. That place is so beautiful. It's unbelievable how much of the buildings remain intact, the wood not painted, and so much of the buildings are exactly as they were 100 years ago. What a treasure.

Thank you, Kathryn and family, for the experience of a lifetime. We will be back!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful and well-appointed- I know because Kathryn gave us a tour and let us cho...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcadia
Shepherd Mountain Inn & Suites
#4 of 6 in Farmington
Crown Pointe Lodge
Crown Pointe Lodge
#3 of 6 in Farmington

Been to Arcadia Academy? Share your experiences!