“Short break with friends to christmas markets”

Strandhotel Margaretha
Ranked #1 of 45 St. Wolfgang B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 December 2013

This is our third visit to St Wolfgang, and is the second time staying at Strandhotel Margaretha. Rooms were very clean and spacious, with fantastic views over the lake. Hotel extremely quiet and restful. People very helpful. Breakfast good. Having seen the views over the lake in both the summer and winter, both are extremely breathtaking. Waking to super views in the mornings sets you up for the day ahead. St Wolfgang Christmas Market was excellent. Lots of different things to see and do. The markets are open all day, but only thing I will point out is that they close at around 7pm. I would recommed this hotel and St Wolfgang to anybody. St Wolfgang is a very pretty place to visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room if possible. Views fantastic and great to wake up to in the mornings. Corne...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Yvonne D

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I can't express how much I loved this place. I had a very stressful entry into St. Wolfgang, travelling unexpectedly solo into town via 3 buses and two trains. I emailed the hotel the day prior warning that I could be late as I wasn't sure I would make all my connections. Somehow I did make all the connections and arrived in good time and was pleasantly greeted and quickly shown to my room which was an unexpected upgrade with a balcony and view. I had to pick my jaw up off the floor. What a way to be welcomed. Views were spectacular. I didn't mind the old squeaky floors one bit. I loved the porch restaurant which I used every chance I could get (never sat inside because I couldn't drag myself away from that porch). My cousin joined me late that night and she too was amazed. I am forever grateful for the loaner hiking sticks in the lobby which saved my knees on our hike the next day. My only regret was not staying longer than 2 nights to really enjoy the town. I hope to be back some day. Thanks to the amazing staff who gave great tips and were overly pleasant.

Room Tip: Higher with a view!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Who-deygal
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This hotel was excellent, the owners and Staff were very friendly, very helpful, and fully competent
The hotel itself was wonderful, well kept, and exceptionally clean

The staff were very good and offered more than just service,
They offered help outwith the hotel

The accommodation/rooms were very good quality
The rooms were very good very clean and large, with all you could wish, bath shower , gallons of hot water, and well kept by the room service ladies

Dining Room Very good along with staff
Breakfasts were very good and plentiful. English cooked breakfast was good,quality bacon and scrambled egg or boiled egg or all the cereals with good milk, toast, bread and many jams and honey's
The continental breakfast had everything you could imagine and take what you wanted
Coffee was very good and the tea's were exceptional

I do not know if it was standard, but afternoon tea with cake or biscuits were on everyday and of really good quality, especially the English breakfast tea, Hot quality English tea abroad is a first for us and we have travelled the world

Evening meals were good,it lost a lot in translation, but when they arrived they were good, only to British a lack of potatoes and veg spoilt the experience (maybe my ignorance)
I expect if it was in a normal season time, it would be ideal, as in the summer or winter, you could still go out on an evening and enjoy an evening meal (we were out of season for summer and too early for the winter ski-ing gang)
Which also reflects in the bar seating, in the summer you would sit out in the warm on the many seats and recliners, and in the winter you would have on your warm skiing jackets, between seasons it was a bit crushed in the lounge

Bar prices are not displayed, and to us Brits it was expensive, but to Norwegians it would be cheap, so it depends on where you come from (so objective really)

The area itself was beautiful, lake water so clean you can see the bottom of the lake and the fish,

The lake ferries were plentiful always on time and reasonably priced

We would have liked to have done the mountain train, only it was too murky at the top to run it, and at £31 per person too expensive for us anyway

There is lots more to say, free bicycles, rowing boats, private sun beds at lake edge, free dressing gowns, TV Radio, WIFI

This hotel is very good, the staff and owner very good and we will revisit the first opportunity we have

Jim and Julie Thompson Room 206

Room Tip: They are all good
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JackMcH
Reviewed 16 September 2013

The Margaretha is one of the best hotels we have stayed in. It was clean, comfortable and we were very well fed. The hotel's position was incredible, the views were stunning and we liked that it was a short walk from the centre, so quieter. Our room was on the top floor with partial views to the lake and mountains. It was very large and entirely satisfactory with comfy beds and a sofa, table and chairs and huge TV! Oh and the towels (4) and bath mats (2) were changed daily. It was very well run and particular thanks to Ferenc for his hard-working efficiency.

St Wolfgang was a good place to stay and our hotel was near the cog railway and boat station so very well placed. Walks around were lovely and we enjoyed the trips, going with Inghams whom we found good with a good rep - thanks Stephen.

Room Tip: Room 302, top floor with no balcony (we felt a balcony not essential) but good views and quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jimanddiana2016
Reviewed 9 September 2013

My cousin and I stayed at the Strandhotel based in part on the reviews on TripAdvisor this past September - and we were thrilled with the choice. The front desk staff was super helpful as we decided our course of travel and provided recommendations for local hiking and other events.

We ate our breakfast at the hotel both days - a great buffet with everything we needed to get started. As we went off to our hike, we noticed the extra hiking sticks by the door - and were happy to borrow a pair for the day (which turned out to be not only knee-saving but possibly more!) Upon return from our 5.5 hour jaunt down the side of a mountain, we were exhausted - and they had no problem as we ordered a beer and wandered over to the lake to relax (and go for a swim). Add to the laid-back nature of the staff the fact that the staff works incredibly hard, is very helpful, and makes you feel very welcome in a truly gorgeous setting, and it's a place that shoots to the top of my "must visit again" list. It's easy to see why they have such a great ranking in St. Wolfgang - I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a wonderful, relaxing place to stay.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor room with a lake view - the lake mist in the morning is gorgeous.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 September 2013

My wife and I stayed for a week at the Hotel Margaretha during August- we'd booked with Crystal summer about three weeks previously. It was not the cheapest hotel available in St Wolfgang so we were hoping for something above average and we weren't disappointed. The hotel is situated a pleasant ten-minute stroll from the town centre and is very convenient in terms of catching the train up the mountain or catching the ferry across the lake to nearby villages - the train station is about 100 metres away, likewise the ferry point. Our bedroom was excellent, possibly the nicest we've ever had - really spacious with two tub chairs and a matching sofa, flat-screen tv, tea/coffee making facilities, mini-bar etc.The storage facilities were also excellent - two large his and hers wardrobes with plenty of shelves etc. Also handy were the safes to keep valuables within each wardrobe.The bathroom was large, nicely decorated in terms of tiling and all the equipment was in pristine condition.The double bed was really two large singles pushed together so there was plenty of room.The maid who cleaned etc. on a daily basis took great pride in arranging the duvet and pillows in different ways each day - sometimes the duvet was in the shape of a heart, sometimes in the shape of a diamond etc - this added to the individual flavour of the hotel. As we had booked quite late in the day we had been promised a side-view of the lake, which is what we got. We were very happy with the view - we had a verandah which opened out onto the side of the hotel and we had a very pleasant view of the lake and some mountains on the opposite side.The poorest thing about our room (and this is a very minor quibble) was the state of the decking on the verandah - not very secure and needed a bit of attention. The staff were, on the whole, youthful. They spoke very good English and were attentive, pleasant and effective. We also enjoyed the food - the choice for breakfast was wide-ranging and of excellent quality. The Austrians don't go in for full-English breakfasts and so the cooked options were limited - the streaky bacon was a bit pallid, I don't really like Austrian sausages and tend to give them a miss - the scrambled eggs were ok. However, don't be put off by my comments regarding the cooked options - the continental choice more than made up for any deficiencies - cereals, yoghurts, cold meats, cheeses,juices, excellent bread, pasties, fresh fruit, preserves etc. The evening meal consisted of four/five courses - starter, soup, choice from salad bar, main course, sweet. The food was varied and of high quality - nicely cooked and presented - I don't think that we left anything on our plates -service was always excellent. As the weather was fine the evening meal was usually served outside on the huge verandah at the front of the hotel which was extremely pleasant. The hotel has approx.12 bikes which seemed in good condition - these can be borrowed for the day, taken across the lake on a ferry etc. The staff seemed very relaxed about the use of the bikes and locks were available.
We went on one excursion only as we had been to Austria before. We went to Halstatt on a really hot day and enjoyed the visit - we had an excellent freelance guide in David, who was very knowledgeable.You need good weather to go there however - some fellow guests went on another day and it rained all the time they were there and so it was pretty miserable.We walked many miles during our stay - we followed the Pilgrim's route to St Gilgen (approx 5 miles) - the path is basically quite steep up and quite steep down but not too difficult for a reasonably fit person - not really appropriate for bikes however.We walked to Strobl - nice easy path - took about two hours and caught the ferry back. We wandered around the slopes, meadows and forests around St Wolfgang and on the opposite side of the lake - very pleasant views. You can buy a Salzkammergut discount card which gives you discounts on various ticket prices. Be careful however, the discount is often only available if you take the full option on offer e.g. whole day ferry ticket to roam around the lake, full ticket to the summit of the mountain - not to the mid-way station - the card costs 5Euro - you will need to weigh up the benefits in light of what you have planned. We took the train to the top of the mountain immediately behind the hotel.Stunning views from the top.The hotel has a private lakeside Lido available for the use of guests, with numerous sunbeds. If you need a packed lunch the hotel will prepare a basic pack - roll, fruit etc. However, what we did was visit the small supermarket in the main street - they will readily prepare some excellent filled rolls for you at a reasonable price. Should we ever return to St Wolfgang we would certainly head for the Margaretha Hotel - highly recommended. I can't believe that anyone could possibly rate this hotel as being terrible - I suspect the he or she was describing another hotel!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cymrobach
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Stayed for a week at the Margaretha. Would give it six stars, excellent food, good sized rooms, really comfortable bed, really friendly staff, not often that we put a resort, or a hotel, on a 'must do again' list, but this certainly was. Fantastic location next to the lake. Thanks for a lovely holiday.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple