“Rock and Roll”

Hotel Zimmerbrau
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in St. Wolfgang
“Rock and Roll”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We are in a room overlooking the Main Street in this beautiful village, which in itself wouldn't be objectionable due to limited traffic and slow driving speeds. Unfortunately the town allows loud music to be played in open air conditions until 11 pm. (Not that it is that late, but when exhausted from a long day of traveling and sightseeing, it seems late). The rooms have no a/c or fans, and even with all doors and windows closed the music across the street is unbearable and the room hot.

Management just says tough luck. Possibly so, but with so many other nice hotels available in this lakeside paradise I would recommend avoiding this hotel.

Room Tip: A different hotel would help. Possibly rooms away from street would be a little quiter?
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Loved the location of the hotel and the rooms were clean but noise or talking from the hallway and other rooms sometimes carried through.

The food in the restaurant was good and we also at at many of the other restaurants in the village, just a few minutes walk from this hotel.

The front desk is not always staffed and we had to hunt down someone when we checked in (the young girl was downstairs checking her iPhone). However she was nice enough to run across the street with my wife to show us how the parking garage worked.

Wireless Internet was intermittent in our room. Luckily there was a small desk by our door to our room as I setup a chair there as it was the only place where I got a reliable Internet connection.

Other than the front desk / checking in issue, we had pretty good service from all of the staff for the remainder of the 4 days that we stayed here in late December.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Photo_Guy_2013
Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I've mainly given this hotel a poor review as the service due to the treatment I received from the female owner throughout my stay. The hotel itself was smack bang in the middle of the village and therefore it was very easy to get around and the male owner was pleasant and friendly when we initially checked in.

We arrived at 12pm and had booked two nights stay through TravelRepublic.We were told check in wasn't till 3pm but the male owner kindly directed us to the free hotel parking where we could keep the car and explore the town. Once we'd checked in, I wanted to visit the hotel's private lakeside terrace which is for the guest's use. So I wandered around the lobby area looking to speak to someone and eventually ran into the owner's wife. I asked her how to reach the terrace and she started interrogating me as if I was a suspicious trespasser. She immediately asked me if I was a guest at the hotel, which room was a staying in, under what name had I booked and the whole time she was eyeing me up and down. I have never been treated in such a shabby manner by anyone in my life! I ended up showing her the hotel key proving I was indeed a paying guest, she reluctantly pointed out the way on a map.

I ran into her again in the lift on my second day, and asked her if we needed to do something specific with the room keys as they don't man the reception 24-7 and we were due to check out at 6am the following morning. She proceeded to interrogate me again, asking if we'd already paid and when I explained we had pre-paid online, she said she didn't believe me!!! She said she'd had not heard of Travel Republic and could I find her husband and sort out the bill ASAP. This was the final straw, I said her husband could come and FIND me in my room since last time I checked, I'm the paying guest.

I would never ever accuse of someone being racist, but I felt a lot of her attitude to me was racially motivated as I'm an Asian brit and my boyfriend (who was staying with me) is white. She was pleasant to him when he ran into her. Although, the stay ended with my boyfriend giving her an ear-bashing, telling her how rude she was to me and that it ruined our stay. She chased after us at 6am saying we still hadn't paid and accused me of not finding her husband the night before!

It's a real shame overall, as the lakeside terrace is gorgeous and by far the stand out feature of this hotel. I suspect the restaurant food is good too judging by the busy tables but we refused to dine there due to the rude woman. There's an amazing and very authentic Italian restaurant to the right of the front of the hotel. I thoroughly recommend dining there. Delicious freshly cooked authentic Italian dishes all served by very warm and friendly staff. The owner is Italian too.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel, it's got individual balconies for smokers and great vie...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank GlobetrotterMaya
cheshire
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Went with Inghams and got good deal. Arrived at 12 noon after flight from UK at 7.00am which obviously meant leaving home at 4.30am for check in at airport. Upon arrival at hotel we were told in a none too friendly way by Alex (female owner) to leave bags in lounge area and come back in two hours time as rooms were not ready. Never having been to St Wolfgang before would have appreciated a bit more hospitality, info etc. Young receptionist Simmone was very helpful, nice and friendly. think Alex could pick up a few tips from her.

Had double room on third floor which was adequate with shower and separate wc. Rooms cleaned daily, although bedding never changed in week we stayed and only one towel replaced. Had partial view of lake which was OK. Bell ringing from church frequently, but this didn't bother us nor did noise from road cleaning vehicles etc. Could not get english tv (we like to keep up with the news when abroad) - reported this but this was ignored.

Breakfast was very good with plenty of variety and eggs cooked to order. Waiting on staff very pleasant both in morning and evening. Dinner a mixture of buffet/menu.

Weather very hot when we stayed and although hotel had private area for bathing, spaces very limited and taken up early, also did not fancy swimming in lake with eels.

St Wolfgang very nice town, but if we were to go again would stay in White Horse Inn which has swimming pool.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank zoo457
Johannesburg
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We stayed in Hotel Zimmerbrau for 4 nights. The village is absolutely stunning, cobbled streets, beautiful architecture, relaxed atmosphere - we could definitely stay longer!
The hotel is very clean, rooms are comfortable and spacious.
There was no kettle and tea/coffee in the room (something I'm not used to, but apparently common in Austria), so that was the only drawback - but the hotel is lovely!
Very friendly and helpful hosts and staff.
Thank you!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank AM-Johannesburg
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Hotel Zimmerbrau is in a great location in the heart of St Wolfgang, we met the receptionist in the evening (whose name we unfortunately never caught) and she was incredibly friendly and enthusiastic, giving us a great welcome. We were then shown to our room which was very comfortable with a fantastic (and huge) shower!

While Zimmerbrau wasn't the cheapest option in Austria it was definitely the right choice and was a great base in a lovely little town.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lumamarx
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Stayed one night in this cute hotel in the centre of St.Wolfgang. The receptionist (blonde young girl) was really nice and friendly. The parking area was nearby. We had a room in the 2nd floor with a balcony that had a great view to the mountains! The room was spacious with a separate toilet and a shower. The town is small and the hotel is within walking distance from everywhere.

The reason I am giving only 3 stars is that we wanted to have breakfast, and in our booking it said that it costed 14e (we assumed that was for 2 persons), and then at check-out it was per person.

Room Tip: the rooms that have balconies towards the lake and the mountains.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends