“Excellent service and experience!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Augusta
H. S. Clay House B & B and Guest Cottaage
Ranked #6 of 9 Augusta B&B and Inns
Springfield, Illinois
“Excellent service and experience!”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I surprised my wife with this B&B for our 27th anniversary. The experience was enchanting! We received port wine with chocolates upon arrival, enjoyed a view of the stars from our bed in the Tree Top (literally and so beautiful), and had delicious appetizers with repeatable WELCOME PUNCH prior to our dinner reservations off site. We then enjoyed looking through their 22 year collection of Victorian clutter. Very fun. Our breakfast on Saturday was beyond description. My wife was so impressed with the omelet and crepes, she talked about them a few times during our day at the wineries. We also enjoyed the hospitality of Leigh and Alan. Great folks. Give this B&B a try. It was worth every penny, and we highly recommend it!
Jim

Room Tip: Loved the Tree Top!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I selected this beautiful B & B to celebrate our 26th wedding anniversary – one to which we will NEVER go back to again and I will share the following story to whomever asks about B & B’s in Augusta Missouri. H. S. Clay House wasn’t the cheapest B & B house but it looked so cozy and romantic that I thought it was worth it for this special day. The B & B turned out to be just as the pictures show –HOWEVER - we were so disappointed with the treatment given to us during breakfast that everything positive became a negative . We were served eggs benedict for breakfast – I don’t care much for runny eggs - so I asked the owner, as she was serving my meal, if they could cook my eggs longer since I cannot eat runny eggs. She then told me that the eggs were cook perfectly and left it at that and left. As I cut through my meal I notice that the eggs were extra runny so I continued to remove the runny part of the eggs and try to eat the rest…..She took this as an offense and started scolding me that I should have told them of any allergies or dislikes the night before AND that the runny eggs “made” the meal….she then continued to remove my plate and scraped the yellow runny eggs that I had removed from my meal onto my husbands plate in front of EVEYONE. My husband and I just looked at each other in disbelieve. I normally would have gotten supper upset and said something – NOT NICE – but I didn’t want to ruin our day and those of the guest around us. I don’t know if this lady knows how terrible she made me feel …. I hadn’t asked for another breakfast meal just my for my eggs benedict to be cooked longer – even if it did ruin the concept of eggs benedict. Mrs. Leigh Buehre could have handled this better – We did not deserve to be treated this way!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
11 Thank LE1984
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 June 2013

My wife and I spent our 1st Anniversary at the HS Clay House - we spend one night in the cottage and the other in the main house. Although the two places were decorated completely differently, we loved them both (the historic cottage was decorated like pottery barn whereas the main house was like a museum full of a wide variety of antiques). Alan and Leigh were tremendous hosts that were full of great stories, and offered great service. The breakfast was quite possibly the best breakfast my wife and I have ever had (Alan is a trained chef and you can tell). We also enjoyed the evening snacks which were perfect before a dinner out or relaxing by the outdoor fire pit/hot tub or pool. The location is unbeatable, in close walking distance to Augusta Winery, Mount Pleasant, the brewery, or the Katy Trail. We could not have chose a more memorable place to spend our 1st anniversary...we will surely be back again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andrew G
Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

Great weekend getaway for couples. Enjoyed the outdoor patio, hot tub and pool. A ton of history, plus incredible food and appetizers to greet us. Will definitely return, maybe for two nights next time. Highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank LindaLiability
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Spent a fantastic evening in the Turett suite. We found our room to be clean and cozy. Leigh and Allen were very pleasant and accommodating. Breakfast was over and beyond anything we have ever had at a B&B. We will definitely stay again!

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Arebeccanderson
Reviewed 31 December 2012 via mobile

I'm blown away by the service from this bed and breakfast. Anything I asked for was delivered upon quickly and with a gracious attitude. As many places as I have stayed this tops the charts. If you only knew what the hosts are willing to do to make sure your stay is the best experience you would make this your next destination to get away from the hustle of mainstream society. You won't regret it.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank dougdevitre
STL
Reviewed 18 November 2012

After spending our 13th wedding anniversary at The Clay house my husband and I are back home, well rested with nothing but sweet memories of our time at The Clay House.
As we reflect on our amazing experience, we agree that we will definitely go again!
Leigh and Alan were very gracious hosts. Alan was very kind and truly an amazing chef ! Leigh is like a favorite Aunt! She always has such a sweet smile and somehow had a way of making you feel like just throwing your worries to the wind!
As for the rooms.. nothing but love and detail went into creating cozy,relaxing, comfortable atmospheres. (perfect for every kind of guest.)
Lastly, the breakfasts were amazing. Omelets,chilled peach soup,fresh muffins,juices and freshly brewed coffee etc. Conversations around the table were very sweet and easy .
All in all.. If you're looking to stay with fun and amazing people that love what they do and it shows.. Make your memories at The Clay House... I think you too will love it too !

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Meredith R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Augusta
Best Western Plus Washington Hotel
#2 of 3 in Washington
The Wildwood Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Drury Plaza Hotel St. Louis Chesterfield
Embassy Suites by Hilton St. Louis St. Charles

Been to H. S. Clay House B & B and Guest Cottaage? Share your experiences!