“Fun and Friendly atmosphere with very good food”
Review of Rusty Moose

Rusty Moose
Ranked #3 of 11 Restaurants in Alton
Price range: US$9 - US$23
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Very casual gathering place serving steak tips, burgers, pasta dishes,local draft beers and full bar. We have a small bar area, dinning room and outdoor patio seating.
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My neighbors recommended the Rusty Moose and we were glad they did. We went out to celebrate my friend's birthday. We loved the fun and very friendly atmosphere and we all liked our meals very much! A varied menu, something for everyone. I would recommend trying The Rusty Moose. We plan on returning in the ver near future.

2  Thank Bea D

Reviewed 7 November 2013

We reside in a "seasonal" community so at times it's difficult to find a place for a good meal after all the tourists go home. I had some errands to do in Alton, NH, wanted lunch and remembered the Rusty Moose. It was a vegetable stand for many years and has undergone a renovation with an addition built on the back side. While it is still fairly small, it's just the right size for a restaurant that stays open year round. The front of the house is a small bar with high top tables and in the second room, there are conventional tables and chairs. It was past traditional lunch time so there were only a few other customers, but both the chef and server were pleasant and welcoming. The soup of the day was potato leek (one of my favorites) and so ordered a large bowl; it was delicious. My theory has always been if a place makes good soup, everything else will be good. It's certainly true at the Rusty Moose. It was not thick but not too much so, was very flavorful, fresh parsley sprinkled over the top with some very tasty crackers served along with. Soup left me with enough room for dessert and so ordered their lemon layer cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, which was also excellent. My server was attentive but not overly so. They offer a pasta special on Tuesdays: two kinds of pasta and sauce, for two, for $15, an unbeatable deal. The wine list is not extensive but there are good wines offered by the glass. The menu was diverse and interesting and they are open until at least 9 in the evening. Along with Mountain View Station, this will be another "go-to" place for a good, low key meal in a pleasant and welcoming atmosphere.

1  Thank Auntie1949
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Wonderful and different food fair such as roasted avocado! Had a great salad, nicely presented and wonderful chicken breast, with butternut squash ravioli with a light cream sauce. The price was right, flavor was great, service was good and as we live in the area, we will definitely return! Had an advertisement for a beer dinner where each course of dinner had a certain beer, so it is nice to see something new!

1  Thank KikNh
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I don't see any issues we pulled in at 5pm and the parking lot was packed. We entered and was greeted by hostess she let us know that the wait was 20 minutes so we ordered drinks. Six local draft beers on tap so a white birch and pumpkin martini we chose. Bartender was great friendly and talking with all the patrons. When our table was ready the hostess brought us out and the first thing I noticed was old replica of a belt driven fan very neat. The second thing was the restaurant is bigger than it seems but almost just the right size a nice mix of bar area and dinning room. We ordered a big moose salad and corn chowder both where great. We had the Lemon shady beer battered haddock with fries and slaw the haddock was huge hung off the sides of the plate and the rib eye steak with a rosemary bacon compound butter mashed potato and garlic green beans. We split the amazing carrot cake. I do believe some people live out a dream of being a newspaper critic I never write on these sites but I do feel it requires a true review one that is real. Three of our friends highly recommended "The Moose" they did not steer us wrong.

2  Thank gcwashere
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We had such great expectations when we arrived around 4:30 on a Saturday. The empty dining room should have been a big giveaway but we decided to try it anyway. We started with the corn chowder w/chourizo - a bit over seasoned but it fine. We ordered sausage, pepper and onion sliders, onion rings and chicken buffalo bites. The sliders were ok, but on the dry side- some mustard would have been nice. I think both the buffalo bites and onion rings were generic freezer type. The buffalo bites were incredibly salty, to the point of being inedible.

The place is charming, the service was great but the food was just blah. Feel free to skip this one. If your in the area try either the sandwich counter at Fiddleheads or The River Run deli- both makes great sandwiches.

1  Thank w81minute