“Retro, family friendly, back to nature atmosphere”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Alton Bay
Sandy Point Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alton Bay
Reviewed 20 August 2012

If you are prissy and in need of constant high maintenance, this is not the place for you. If you are a nature lover and have kids that love to swim and fish, then this is the place for you. We just spent 9 days at Sandy Point in a hillside efficiency room and found everything to be blissful. Staff were friendly and polite, standard room furnishings, clean room, clean refrigerator/stove/microwave, fresh towels/bed linens/coffee every day, new air conditioner, new windows, new swim dock, and shallow sandy swim area around the entire peninsula.

The restaurant was busy every night with customers coming in by boat and road. Water so clean and clear that the kids could see the bottom 20 feet out and identify what fish was biting their line before they reeled it in. They were also able to hand catch turtles, frogs, and crayfish in the private cove area. We had a cute chipmunk that would come to the patio and take acorns that the children had left out for him every day. Full size blueberry bushes were growing all along the cove side of the resort ready for you to pick a few to add to your pancakes in the morning. Yes there were a few spiders on the outside furnishings because that's where they are supposed to be! Things are a bit retro because they are original and well kept. That's how long this gem has been in business.

Check out their website for history/photos and don't pay mind to the other harsh reviews. My guess is they are most likely city folk who don't appreciate a good old fashioned North Woods experience. The whole point of staying on the Alton Bay side of the lake is to get away from the typical tourist areas for peace and quiet with beautiful views. If you grew up camping with your parents, then you are going to love this place.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank Jennifer R

Reviewed 24 August 2011

My husband and I stayed in a motel room for two nights at the Sandy Point Beach Resort right up front near the road. The room was exactly what we expected, no more, no less. Bathroom, towels, sheets, and fridge were all very clean. We had a great view of Alton Bay from our back slider. I felt comfortable and safe during the stay. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank landog78
Reviewed 27 July 2011

This hotel/motel whatever it is reminds me of a horror movie hotel..dirty sheets, rugs, cobwebs everywhere, behind the bed's on the wood panel walls were covered in spider webs and dirt..soo disgusting. The bathroom was so gross I didn't even want to shower in there. I laid out beach towels to sleep on and used one of my beach towels as a blanket!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank MBOS9
Reviewed 12 June 2011

I've been familiar with Sandy point for about 4 years. Friends of ours have a seasonal cabin rental, and we visited them and eventually we wound up with our own seasonal rental. We are there nearly every weekend Memorial Day to Columbus Day.

First of all, this is definitely a retro kind of place, which is the whole reason I love it.It brings you back to another time. In fairness, every little motel on the lake is basically like this. What you will get are ridiculous views of the lake, access to the two beaches on the property, a pretty good size sundeck. If you are looking for a luxury resort, do not come here. There is no tennis, no masseuse, etc. This is family type place, quite Old School, but also quite pleasant. If you are unhappy with anything, the owner will go out of his way to accommodate. But if you are impatient and just decide to check out they can't make it right. These are old buildings that require upkeep, and if nobody reports a problem to the management (drains not working properly, etc) then nobody can fix it. If the folks above had called the office, the owner would have been there in 5 mins to fix the issues and if there were an open room I'm sure he would have changed their room.

Anyway, give it a try for yourself :)

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
11  Thank TheBigLake
Reviewed 19 August 2010

Didn't stay, but wanted to make reservations at the ONLY motel in the bay area, except for the Horse and Buggy, which I haven't checked out yet, but after reading the reviews, I'll only go to the restaurant and stay far away from the accommodations. For years I always thought it "must" be a great place. Too bad...it's the only place around; it's in a fantastic place, the owners have been there forever, they must be making money on the amount they charge and don't spend on the resort, so why don't they put money into it? Renovate the whole ;place, new furniture, bath fixtures, etc. and live up to the prices they charge. I would love to stay there just for the views, but I won't.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank puz338
Reviewed 6 August 2010

To call this place a "resort" is an overstatement. It is a motel and has some cabins. We stayed one night and that was enough! The motel room was very musty smelling which we noticed as soon as we opened the door. They took the knobs off the air conditioning so that the temperature could not be adjusted. The decor could use updating as the furniture was very old, the lamp shades very dusty, and the bed very uncomfortable. The bath tub drain was very slow and had to stand in water up over my ankles when showering. It took the tub 20 minutes to drain so the next person could shower.
It's such a shame that the property did not live up to it's name. It is right on the lake with beautiful views. If the owners would only put in a little more work in the rooms, it would make such a difference.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DPBLTCKG
Reviewed 28 July 2010

Years ago, Sandy Point had a good reputation, we were in the area and needed a room for one night. We checked in and were surprised that it was so high (around 169 per night) but we figured it would be worth it since it's such a great location. We opened the door to the room and first of all it looked like a scene from an old movie. It looked tidy but it was dirty. I pulled down the covers and the blanket between the sheet and bedspread has little balls of dirt, it was so disgusting. We immediately checked out. I will say that the young woman at the desk did not even flinch when we wanted to check out, I think she's used to it. The woman behind me said "I'm so glad you said something because that's exactly what we are doing, its really dirty here" So sorry Sandy Point, I only hope you take this as constructive critisim, you have such a gem of a property, as they say, you have to spend money to make money.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank nahantvisitor

Been to Sandy Point Beach Resort? Share your experiences!