First off we didn't know until it was too late so please bring school supplies, they help the local schools and you will get in good with the care-takers ;-)
My wife and I are the adventurous sorts, so when we go places we are not looking for the traditional over-comfortable bed and bland decor. We want to be out experiencing a place, and there is no better way to experience Belize than at Maruba resort. This resort has an eclectically comfortable feel with funky decorations that makes for a romantic experience.
For those of you that are like us, we wanted to go somewhere memorable for our honeymoon. After searching around for a while I can across a deal on Maruba. Now, this resort is not all inclusive, so you do have to spend some money. But as long as you stick to the local specials, everything is pretty inexpensive. The food feels fairly expensive, but that is because it is in Belize dollars (Which is another interesting part of Belize I will write about later) it isn't that bad (Also due to local sourcing please be patient if things run out!). The beer is the worst so it might be good to grab some from back home (I will talk more on beer later). Wine, is expensive so pick a bottle up at duty free along with champagne.
The staff are the most amazing people, very accommodating and nice to speak with. The tours are worth it every time and there is so much to do it is hard to relax. But when you do the Mud Massage was wonderful (although I would recommend getting it done BEFORE going to the beach). Be sure to tip and tip often, I had some confusion over the tipping rules and probably should have tipped better but my service was still wonderful. They accepted my AMEX which was nice. The decor makes it so a family trip is not the best idea, however, there is a playground. The other guests were all really cool too and about 80% American.
The experience is just so real and I highly recommend it, however, now I will get into what I would have done differently. The Cayes are really pretty and we are divers, so I would probably plan a day or so in either Caulker (Backbackers), Ambergris (Upper class), or San Pedro (Casino Night Club). We spent far too little time there. Also, for the divers out there, the blue hole is an over-night stay so plan that out as well.
The Beer situation is abysmal but that is not in any way the fault of the hotel. I am a beer snob and I am only into Ales, so I was out of luck. In fact no real hops to speak of until you get back to the states. Probably the only reason I could never live there.
Finally the currency situation... So in Belize, the exchange rate (according to google) is something like $2.02bz to $1usa. Despite this EVERYONE uses the old 2 to 1 rule. Now I am not sure about the big casinos, but this really did seem to be everyone. I even asked about the banks and they said it is $2 to $1. Being a business student, it seems really weird to me but that is the kind of thing you get in a foreign area. Especially one where the weather makes you not want to do math.
This resort is a great portal into learning a lot about the people of Belize. We had a great time and will definitely be visiting Belize again, as soon as our little one can dive :-).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- EXPERIENCE BELIZE AT THIS ARTISANAL LUXURY BOUTIQUE RESORT & JUNGLE SPA Vacation in Paradise at this Hip Artisanal Luxury Boutique Resort & Jungle Spa! In the Mayan rainforest of Belize, Maruba Resort & Jungle Spa strikes the right balance between rustic charm and far flung modernism combining to make a vibe of urban jungle chic. Despite its remote jungle setting, this luxury Belize resort has all the pampering amenities of an upscale hotel. With only 16 rooms on this peaceful, private family owned 1000 acre property, seclusion is guaranteed when needed so you can relax from your busy schedule. Resident dj mixes eclectic vibes with the sounds of the jungle and the artisanal flair of the surroundings, making it a perfect haven for music lovers and artists. Disconnect from the world & recharge your batteries. Connect only when you choose! Your room will be a one-of-a-kind retreat painted in rich metallic colors with tropical hardwood ceilings, mosaic tile floors, exotic fabrics collected from around the world creating an aura of “tribal chic”. Accommodations include a lavish two bedroom loft, a picturesque treetop penthouse, luxurious honeymoon bungalows, one-of-a-kind standard rooms, and spacious junior suites. Maruba Belize Jungle Spa is the first Spa and Destination Spa, as well as the only full body spa in the country of Belize offering Massages such as the Signature Mood Mud Massage, Seaweed Massage and Aromatherapy Massages, Solo Massage, Couples Massages; Body Scrub, Body Wraps, Facials; Hair Packs, Spa Manicures and Spa Pedicures. Spa products are all made from natural ingredients found in Belize and the surrounding Mayan Jungle and are environmentally friend. Explore ancient Mayan Ruins & Caves, Snorkel at Shark Ray Alley and Immerse yourself in Belize with private tours. Experience the culture and history of Belize. Experience Distinctive Accommodations, Thrilling Adventures, an Incredible Jungle Spa, Dining & Cuisine and Top Notch Service! Experience Maruba Belize ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers and HotelQuickly so you can book your t Belize Boutique Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maruba Resort Jungle Hotel Maskall
- Maruba Hotel Jungle
- t Belize Boutique Resort & Spa Maskall