“Amazing experience! One of the best vacations I've ever had.”

Maruba Resort Jungle Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Maskall
Houston, Tx
“Amazing experience! One of the best vacations I've ever had.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

I stayed at the resort with a girlfriend the weekend of October 4. Although it was named jungle spa, I did not realize we would actually be in the jungle. It was amazing to stay in the middle of the jungle. Despite not being an outdoorsy type of girl, this was a luxurious jungle experience. It was nice to hear the sounds of the jungle at night.

We experienced 5 star, first class service. When we arrived at the airport, the resort picked us up and the excellent service began there. We did not have to touch our bags. On the way to the resort our driver gave us a lot of information about the local culture, customs and the resort. As soon as we arrived at the resort we were greeted by Melanie, who was extremely gracious and helpful throughout our entire stay. She offered us drinks and let us relax while checking us into our room. We were offered dinner also and they agreed to serve us anywhere we wanted to eat in the resort. Melanie also gave us a tour of the resort and helped us pick what tours to book and spa treatments for the next day.

While laying by the pools, the staff came to check on us often to see if we need additional drinks or food and accommodated our every need. I've stayed at Ritz Carltons and Mandarin Orientals and the staff here is on the same level. Every staff member was eager to please and never said "no." Each staff member knew who we were whenever they greeted us.

We chose to take the zip line and cave tubing tour. Our guide, Delwyn, was also very helpful. This was our first time ever on a zip line. Raheem and Israel and the zip line facility made us feel safe and made it a fun and exciting time. The hiking and tubing experience afterwards was very relaxing as Delwyn was an excellent guide. The resort arranged a lunch at the zip line facility with a cloth tablecloth, cloth napkins, chargers, plates and rum punch. It was perfect. It was an amazing adventure. Delwyn allowed us to have a relaxing day.

When we returned to the resort we had spa treatments that were relaxing and enjoyable. The mood massage will give you pictures your friends will not believe.

Now that I'm home I miss that staff. They all hugged us when we left. They treated us like family. We will definitely return. I highly recommend this resort for a great getaway and vacation.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Cruisegirl16

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

We came to Maruba by chance because our Roatan trip had to be canceled. This trip was the second leg of our honeymoon in Belize and we enjoyed every minute of it. We arrived in Belize city during the rainy season no knowing if the rain will damage our plans, and we were meet by a Maruba representative who was quite the character and a all around great guy ( we later found out he did a few of their tours too).

Upon entering the resort, we were amazed at how the placed blended with the jungle and were in love with the hot tubes and the pools at first glance. Furthermore, we noticed that the place was empty and were not sure if they were all out doing tours or something else. We later found out that we would be the only ones in the resort for two days, I was excited, but my wife was a little skeptical about the lack of people here because she is a social person. However, after enjoying the hot spa for the rest of the afternoon alone, she quickly realized that the lack of residents made for a great evening :) Later, we noticed that the rooms were eclectic and had an "eco" feeling to them with the incorporation of recycled materials, and the dinning area we felt was romantic. To illustrate, everyday during breakfast, we noticed two different humming birds flying towards the center pieces in the middle of the tables to start our days.

Furthermore, the staff and the service was great and I mean great! In particular, After eating some poorly prepared fruit that was prepared and offered by one of the tour companies that Maruba deals with, I was rendered useless for a few days. Once the owner heard that I was sick, they came to my aid with local remedies, personal over the counter pills, and even made a run into town to get some pepto. Additionally, my wife did not bring enough feminine products and they too made a trip to accommodate her needs.

Afterward, once I was back to 100%, we were able to continue enjoying our time in the jungle. In particular, the ATM and the medicinal jungle hike were two of our favorite tours... and the dinner specials kept us wanting more! If you do the jungle hike and are willing to try anything, I would recommend sampling termites... they are not as bad as you might think. And, I would recommend trying their signature rums: the viper and the stinger! I bet you cannot guess what the special ingredient is... for the viper, there is an actual viper in the bottle! Now try and guess what is in the stinger. Most of the nights were tame, but I do recommend having a few drinks with the owners if you are looking for some thrills and laughs.

In the end, we had a great experience with little to no problems at the resort. My wife noticed some mold on the shower curtains in one of the rooms, and woke me up to kill a huge brown recluse that came in to escape the downpour during the night (but hey, it is the jungle).

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steven B
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

We're a little late on the review (6+ months) but I felt compelled to write a review because we had such a great time. My wife and I stayed at Maruba in November 2012 and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Not fully know what to expect our stay, the grounds, the staff and excursions surpassed our expectations. We would highly recommend this resort to you during your stay in Belize.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Medellin, Colombia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

This is not a place for the type of person that expects action, clubs and a city nite life! This is a place that you can simply lose yourself and get away from reality! When I arrived at the airport the owner picked me up, it was a little drive from the airport but to me at was well worth the travel to escape. When arriving at the jungle spa, it is exactly what the name states,(jungle spa) it is so peaceful and quiet you lose yourself easily! Then owners and the staff go above and beyond to make sure you are comfortable. The food is fresh and delicious. Everything I had to eat was good and had good flavor. The rooms are spacious and have ac. When I was there the mangos were falling off the trees and you pick all you could eat from the ground! I enjoyed my trip and defiantly recommend this place if you want to lose yourself and forget reality for a while..

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Glandryg
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

My wife and I went to Maruba on the second part of our honeymoon, The staff there was so accommodating. We were immediately upgraded to a junior suite and given a tour of the entire grounds. My wife loved the mosaic tiles in our shower and consistently throughout the theme of the resort. We enjoyed the mineral bath and love the pampering with massages, pools, and cabanas. The service is first class as we didn't have to carry a bag the entire time we were there, our dinner cloth was put on us by the staff and they even stirred in our cream and sugar for our coffee in the morning. Each night we spent talking with staff and getting to know their story and how they got there. Their catch of the day specials were incredible. Lobster, blackened tuna, red snapper, etc. On our way out we were given hugs by the owners and felt genuinely welcomed and appreciated there. I will be sending my friends and family in that direction.

Room Tip: Rooms close to mineral bath came in handy
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

I schedule the trip for my Mother and I. This was our first visit to Central America. We got everything we wanted in this getaway and much more.

If you enjoy personalized attention this could be a great vacation destination for you. If you enjoy going to unique environment then this could be a travel spot for you. If you are willing to keep an open mind and ready to make relaxing your goal this would be a wonderful place for you to visit. My only problem was I did not want to leave.

Small group tours with expert guides huge thanks to Amelacar and Delwin. The Mayan ruins and cave tubing were an awesome experience. Beautiful nature abounds in every direction. I enjoyed learning so much about the local animals and flora and fauna in their natural habitat.

Wonderful spa service was also provided. The ingredients were all fresh and natural. Being able to identify product by smell was a nice surprise. Thank you Elizabeth for the relaxing facial and mud massage.

The last area of importance during our stay was food. This is the only restaurant on site and only one in the area. The good thing is we had a lot of variety. This is not a fast food place, but is a nice sit down fusion restaurant. You are given large portions with very tasty and unique flavor.
The waitstaff is remarkable at providing excellent service. Gloria always remembered my cream in my coffee and how much at breakfast. We both looked forward to seeing Janelle at the dinner hour. She was always happy to answer any questions and her smile was contagious. She provided warm and impeccable service daily during our stay.

All of the positive comments are in direct association to the Proprietors of Maruba, Nicki and Melanie. So much work must go into a resort in the middle of a jungle. Maintaining the lovely clean landscaped grounds. Providing adequate quantities of fresh food daily. Keeping guest request and itinerary's in check. Managing a staff of employees and being positive support to employees and their families. I know it involves so much more. You both make it look easy.

Melanie especiall Thank You for the wonderful memories. I feel like I have made a new friend. You are an amazing warm person. Thanks Maruba for new point of view and amazing stay in the jungle. Hopefully God will provide me the ability to return in the future.

A few hits of advise. Bring a waterproof camera for cave tube pictures. Pack some good bug spray. Expect and embrace something different. Bring something to keep you occupied at night. The beds were good, but our room beds were harder than mattress at home.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank CzechingOut
Paradise, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

The wife (Hot Mama Rita Joy) and I decided to stay an extra two days in Belize after dropping our traveling buddies at the airport in Ladyville, and I am sure glad we picked Maruba Jungle Lodge and Spa for the nights of August 3rd and 4th. We took our time getting there, stopping at Altun Ha for a personal tour from local guide, Wilfred. Once at Maruba, Melanie showed us to our spacious suite (#14) which had a separate room for the jacuzzi and a great air conditioner. I hadn't scheduled anything but the room in advance, yet Melanie set up our Couples Mood Mud Massage with the on-site spa right away for 5pm that day. That gave us just enough time to try out the fountain pool next to our room. It almost felt like our own private piece of paradise! We were able to sample a few margaritas and pina coladas before we slipped into our robes and stopped by the gift shop for prizes before being grabbed by a pair of local African Belizean women for our massage. I just love women with strong hands. They melted all of the day's concerns away and the previous week's sore muscles from hiking and climbing and spelunking all over Belize and Guatemala! They applied a base layer of reddish orange mud to each of our bodies, then decorated us with tribal accents of white and black. Big Fun. Be sure to take your camera. The meals were great. Belizean taco appetizer was so yummy. My steak was the best I had in the country. The in room jacuzzi was oversized for two, so we relaxed even more. They scheduled us for a Lamanai jungle boat tour the next day and recommended we stop by the baboon sanctuary on our final morning on the way out of the country. Both were amazing! Glad we topped off our Belize trip with a really romantic stay at the Maruba Jungle Resort and Spa!!

Room Tip: Room #14 would be hard to beat!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Spike_Stanford
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maskall
Black Orchid Resort
#1 of 21 in San Pedro
Royal Caribbean Resort
Royal Caribbean Resort
#33 of 54 in San Pedro

Been to Maruba Resort Jungle Spa? Share your experiences!