“Had lunch and a mud massage VERY COOL”

Maruba Resort Jungle Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Maskall
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I live on Ambergris Caye and when we our son and daughter visit from the States we decided to take a private boat from our dock to see the ruins and have lunch and massage at the resort . The ride to the resort was awesome weaving through backwaters very exotic and the boat dropped us off at some tiny rural town maybe 25 people and we were picked up by van which took us to the ruins and then on to the resort for a great lunch and awesome massage .. Not for the prudes as its a very relaxed place.

Its truly a jungle resort and lives up to its name . Will say that the hotel restroom kind of surprised us with all of the sexual related items etc but it just added to the exoticness of the place .
As I said we didn't spend a night and returned back to our house in Ambergris Caye for dinner .
Overall a very cool experience and would highly recommend it as part of a day trip if nothing else .
The most surprising aspect of this true jungle resort is finding a Racquetball court in the middle of the jungle . My son and I play R ball and to find a court in this jungle was quite the surprise ... I do wonder how or why they decided too put in a court ..must be an interesting story ..

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank DrTomG

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Jan 12 (sun) Due to the flight schedule, we arrived Belize Philip Goldson International Airport at 3:45pm. Great getting off the plane in hot weather, but the high humidity was unexpected. After comparing costs, we decide to rent a vehicle and were glad we did.The ride from the airport was a breeze until we reached the turn off at Al Hun then the fun began! The road is one lane, and full of pot holes. With another car coming the other way, you had to pull over on the shoulder, not knowing if there was firm ground or if you were going to land in a creek, because there really was no shoulder. With an experience driver the trip would take one hour, point A to B. The first nite it took approximately 2.5 hours. Missing pot holes, going over narrow bridges, in the dark, and only 1 road sign. When we thought we were lost, Maruba finally appeared. They have signs on both sides of the road. There was a guard at the entrance way, and he escorted us in.We were greeted in the reception area and offered a drink. After signing in, Melody greeted us and gave us a quick tour and showed us to our room. At this point we were to tired and did not pick up much information. We wished she had waited till morning to show us the grounds. Entering our room, The Cave, Room 5 we were delighted with the atmosphere of the room. Silver walls, dark blue bedding and hibiscus flowers displayed around the room.The only drawback was the room was a bit dark, something you had to adjust to. Also, the humidity in the room was high and the bedding always felt damp.The bathroom was just as nice and the only problem we had was the shower, my husband is an early riser and when he tried to take a shower it was ice cold. By 7am I would go in, run the shower for a bit,then I always had a nice hot shower. The room was kept spotlessly clean each day by the housekeeping staff. After settling in we went for dinner. The meal was excellent, they have a three course meal cost B$70, US$35 each.The next morning we had breakfast again 3 items US$15 each, and no refills. Our opinion, A on meals, cost too high, therefore we decided to eat out at most times. Also, there was no coffee maker in the room and one would not be provided. We missed our tea at night.
Jan 13 (mon) Our first adventure was to Lamanai. Leaving the resort around 11am, we tuned left instead of right. We thought this would be a shorter route. The road was worst than before. Once we made it to the main highway, just before Orangewalk we turned left and had another 28miles to go.We traveled through Mennonite country, so different. Horse and buggy's up and down the road. All ages, from children to adults driving the buggies. The men would nod or wave as they rode by, but the women did not respond. Just before arriving at Lamanai, we stopped at a road side stand for lunch. The people were friendly, the "dinning room", kitchen and restroom were spotless. The meal was excellent. Entering the site, since it was late in the day, we had a quick peek at the museum then headed out to see the Temples. Wish we had more time to explore, there was a path that ran by the water front, and a few booths with souvenir's. After viewing the Temples, we headed back the way we came, then instead headed into Orangewalk. With Tripadvisor advice, we searched out Paniscea Restaurant. The place was quite busy, and after the restaurant slowed down, the owner came over and apologized for the delay and gave us a round of drinks. We learned he is originally from Victoria BC. The meal was excellent, reasonably priced approximately US$40 for two with drinks, Our server is only 13 years old, she was just helping out, but worked like a professional. After a very long day we headed back for some much needed rest.
Jan 14 (tues) In the morning, we headed out to the Baboon Sanctuary. As we got close to the Sanctuary the weather didn't look too promising. We paid a $7pp admission fee then had to wait because the rain came. Once the rain slowed down, we headed out, but it started to drizzle again and we decided to brave the rain. Our guide took us to see the baboons first, up close and personal, than gave us a tour through the forest pointing out many local natural leafs, branches and fruit, like anato that can be used for lip gloss. Very informative, worth getting soaked. Once our tour was done, we decided to go to Belize for dinner. Arriving in Belize, there was a bridge that you had to cross to get to the water front, and we were lost in the one way streets, asking for directions, a local man on his bicycle went ahead of us and wound his way through the streets and took us to the bridge.It seemed, everywhere we went the people were friendly and willing to help. After a few more directions, we found a restaurant behind the Princess Hotel & Casino. The entrance is hard to find.... Excellent choice, excellent seafood.
Jan 15 (wed) Decided to take a breather and enjoy the resort. Toured the resort and spent time in the mineral bath (hot tub). Very late in the day we left for Orangewalk to have dinner. Decided on Lee's Chinese Restaurant. Not what I expected but there was no complaints about the food, we even had leftovers, due to the size of the dishes.Did a tour of the town, and then decided to call it a nite, long drive back.
Jan 16 (thurs) Another day of rest. Spotted an iguana sunning by the pool.
Jan 17 (fri) Final fling. We decided to go horse back ridding at the resort. Inexperienced riders. The guide took us through a trail. Quite muddy in spots and tree limbs to go over. Horses seemed well trained. I didn't have a chance to enjoy the ride, my horse Jolly seemed to be fighting the bit and kept tossing his head. I could not relax and enjoy the scenery, was just concentrating on the horse, making sure it didn't bolt.Later,we decided to go to Ladyville.We stopped along the way for lunch, another road side stand called the Roadside Diner. We had stewed chicken w/ rice and beans (there is a difference between beans and rice). Sat on picnic bench, very friendly service, real silverware and china plates 2 of us cost only US$8. Excellent, next day we went back for more, this time I had lamb, yumm. After lunch we went to the Belize Zoo. What a surprise. All the animals seemed to be in there natural habitat. No empty cages, each cage was filled wiith trees and ponds. Strange exotic animals, howler monkeys. Worth the trip, cost US$15 each. On the way back to the resort, we passed our turn off looking for a place to eat. Another roadside stand called Gil's Country Store. Clean, friendly people. First time fish empanadas. Had no idea what it was, tried one, had to go back for more, 3/$1.00.More stewed chicken w/ rice and beans. After the meal I said I would like tea but didn't think they had any, mostly pop was served. Asked and to my delight she she offered us black tea. That completed the meal. All for US$11 for two of us. An enjoyable day and evening came to and end.
Jan 18 (sat) All packed and ready to go. Easy going till we reached Miami airport. 21/2hrs to get through customs. First round good, organized employee giving orders and hustled people through. Cutting through baggage retrieval and asked where to go. In the line, unbelievable. No order, no definite lines, time ticking, people cutting in and out of lines, what a mess. Finally made it through only having to go through customs again to get to our flight. Just enough time to spare, quick dinner and onto the flight. Home is in the distance.

Once we got climatized,we enjoyed our stay at Maruba,it was a learning experience. The only draw back was that we were driving long distances to find things to do.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 80Jasmine
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I stayed at Maruba recently while on a mission trip, working nearby at a school and visiting a Belizean friend.
This is an amazing place....the decor is very unique and eclectic, each room has its own flair.
Melanie and Merickston provide very personal service and the food was outstanding, especially the Bananas flambeau and coconut pie desserts. Because of the reason for my visit, I didn't have time to enjoy many of the extra amenities of the resort or tours around the area.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank PamC54
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Our trip to Altun Ha included a stop here. The resort is beautiful. Many spa options are available. We had a wonderful lunch here. Just be aware to look at your bill and receipt before adding tip. I did not look and they had already added the tip on the bill. Needless to say they got one big tip. So be aware of this.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Danny D
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I'm not sure why I decided to ignore the negative reviews on this resort. It turns out they are accurate. This resort was not great value. There wasn't much to do here. If you are someone that typically likes to jog/cycle or otherwise get your heart rate up by exercise this is not the place for you. Based on the website we thought that there were huge grounds that we could hike on, but turns out you can only do guided hikes, which cost 25 USD per person. We did a horse ride that was I think 36USD per person. It was supposed to be a medicinal Mayan plant tour, but they only showed us 10 plants. The horses looked reasonably well cared for, although one of them clearly had an eye infection. I felt bad for the animals.

The resort runs all their own tours, so they will only run them if they have enough people to make it happen. Because the resort is not close to anything, there are huge travel times anywhere you want to go. The roads are seriously bad, particularly after rainfall. Lamanai was 125 USD per person and took about an hour drive then hour boat ride in each direction. Altun Ha is very close--20 minutes and much cheaper--about 45 USD. Snorkeling was also 125 USD and was half hour drive plus one hour boat ride to Caye Caulker. ATM cave tour was also about 2 hours travel time. I would recommend just staying on the islands for a few days if you want to snorkel/dive. There is really not much to do at the resort. The 2 pools are nice enough and seemed clean, and the hot tub was also nice. They have a DVD collection so you can watch movies. Beware if your neighbor is watching movies, or talking. We could hear EVERYTHING our neighbors said eg "honey, are you in the bathroom?" "Yes, I'm in the bathroom".

The resort it is so far from anything else that you have no choice but to eat all your meals there, which may cost you about 60-70 USD per day depending on your appetite. The food was pretty good, seemed healthy, had vegetarian options. Drinks are moderate to price-y for Belize, about 6-10 USD. Pop is 3 USD per bottle/can. It is probably worth bringing drinks and snack food if you stay here.

The beds had big pillow tops--I didn't find them quite so uncomfortable as other reviewers but I can sleep anywhere. My friend barely slept at this resort. Everything truly smelled musty/moldy--I think that this is just the nature of being in the jungle--hard to keep things dry in this climate.

The bathroom was mostly constructed of broken tiles grouted together (I'm not sure if this is the correct terminology). It just seems hard to keep something clean with so many crevices and grout. I would not take a bath here. The water drained very slowly so your ankles were basically taking a bath by the time you're done showering. There was hot water but low water pressure.

There is a half basketball court and they claim a raquetball court-- a wall that you could hit balls on. I think you'd need to bring your own supplies for these--the ones they had there looked 20 years old. There is a weight room but for the most part everything was rusty--I was not inspired to use them.

I would not stay here again. If you are going to go, following the full disclosures that you have read on this site, I'd probably do one night maybe 2, but no more.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
8  Thank Vancouverite1001
Merickston, Owner at Maruba Resort Jungle Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Don't be timid about the weightroom at Maruba, it is what it is. Professional York weights, squat racks, bench press, sit-up bench, leg machine. And pull- downs. Displayed in the weight are trophies. Certificates of World Records in power lifting for squat, deadlift, and overall lifting total, by the fonder of Maruba Resort Jungle Spa. The weight room is used daily by regular guest and the Maruba Security Team.
As for the three wall outdoor racquetball court, very few guest played so kids started bouncing a basketball on it so we put a portable backboard and rim on it and now it gets used. If one wants to play racetball, let the desk know as we have new rackets and balls in the office.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

My Wife and I travel often, so we are open minded but always have high expectations. When we stayed at Maruba resort our expectations were blown away.
Travelers often say it’s the people you are with that make a trip great. Maruba’s staff made every excursion wonderful, from horseback riding around the jungle of Marubas' estate to snorkeling in Belizes' light blue waters- it was fantastic!
The food is also something we look forward to, and Maruba did not spare any expenses to impress us with a wide variety and array of options. We are also vegetarian which they had no problem accommodating with healthy veggy/tofu options, and other creative dishes.
Overall I would recommend this place to the experienced traveler looking to explore and the lounger, looking for a fun, gettaway in the jungle. We did not lounge much but we did go into the hot tub and pool, both super fun.
Lastly, reggae, they have one of the most extensive reggae collections I have ever heard, playing in the bar area.
Try it out and you will be happy you did, and don’t forget to GET JUNGLIZED!!!

-San Francisco Crew

Room Tip: Bring Sunscreen for adventures
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Phil A
Reviewed 26 December 2013

The service was amazing. Unusual hotel in the jungle. Excellent excursions. The staff for excursions from hotel and very organized. Owners live on site. Only 18 rooms. The meals were awesome. Excellent chef.

Room Tip: Suites were exotic
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maskall
Grand Colony Island Villas
#6 of 19 in Caye Caulker
SunBreeze Hotel
SunBreeze Hotel
#15 of 53 in San Pedro

Been to Maruba Resort Jungle Spa? Share your experiences!