“The perfect spot.”

Nautical Inn
Oakhurst, California
“The perfect spot.”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We had a wonderful, relaxing visit at the Nautical Inn. Minor problems were taken care of swiftly. Jovita is warm and accomodating as a host. The staff were all friendly and did their jobs well. The pool is so refreshing after a day of jungle hiking! Very convenient to have the restaurant and bar on the premises. It's the perfect location...close to Placencia, right on the beach, comfortable in every way.

In regards to an earlier review about a robbery, they have responded to this problem by putting alarms on the doors and windows, and there is a security guard there most of the time.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank esjay53

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Richland, Washington
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We just returned from an excellent two week stay at the Nautical Inn in Seine Bight. The staff are exceptional and all went out of their way to make sure we had a great experience. Jovita has excellent contacts for all the adventures you want to have in the area, from Mayan ruins to fishing, snorkeling and taking the Monkey River tour. You need to try cow foot soup and the pizza is great. A well deserved thank you to Jovita, Teo, Bo Bo, Blu, Isabel, Noreen and Melanie for a great stay. Would definitely recommend the Nautical Inn to friends and family.

Denny and Kathy
Richland, WA

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
NIBelize, Manager at Nautical Inn, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thanks so much for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us!
edmonton
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Hi, so we found the Nautical Inn by chance on our trip to Belize. The staff are very friendly and absolutely accommodating. We stayed there for five days. Our only issue was that we were robbed while sleeping. We felt Jovita dealt with the issue as best as she could.

The scenario leading up to us getting robbed was very strange in hindsight.
1. We were "upgraded" to room 8 on our last night there.
2. The layout of the room, in hindsight, is very suspect...the only place to put your luggage is in the middle of the floor or under a window.
3. We do not open windows or use A/C and we never thought to check the window.
4. When we got up in the morning everyone was at the hotel, including night staff.
5. When we discovered we were robbed, I checked the window and sure enough, screen cut and window slightly ajar. I attempted to close the window at this time and only one side locked...and it took all I had to get it to lock!
6. When my boyfriend went to report it to staff I went outside to check the ground around the window....it had just been raked, but I could still make out footprints and I took a picture to show the police. The constable that I showed, agreed that there were definitely footprints leading to and under the window. Not certain why it had just been raked....
7. Apparently the local "police" officers, if they were 20 years old I would be amazed...had been to the hotel to do a "security" check earlier that morning.
a) They reported all was fine.
b) They said the screen was not cut at that time (initially the staff said the screen was never cut before, but that story changed to "it was always cut")
8. We went to the local precinct, a building that pretty much looked abandoned, and made our report. We returned to the hotel. There we were advised that we would have to go into Placencia to talk to the constable.
9. When reporting the theft to the local police, all they could do was smirk!
10. We were awaiting a rental car pick-up and remained at the hotel for another hour or so and Jovita was very hospitable. Thank you!
11. Once we had our rental car we returned to the hotel to gather our belongings and to pick up the two local officers that were to accompany us into Placencia to talk to the constable.
12. Imagine our surprise when we see them waving us down from the local store across from the hotel....they were sitting with the handyman of the Nautical, having beers!
13. So we pick them up and head into Placencia to talk to the constable.
14. These two young police continued smirking even in front of the constable in Placencia. We finally advised the constable that the one young man that remained in the room with us had to leave the room, as we were quite certain the reason they couldn't wipe the smirks off their faces.
15. After a long "interrogation" from the constable he advised us that we were not the first people to be robbed at the hotel, and in particular, from that room!
16. We have NEVER heard anything since from ANYONE!. We never expected much, but hopefully the staff of the Nautical has taken this latest robbery seriously and has integrated some amount of security into that room.

While it was our own lack of due diligence that caused us to get robbed, I still feel that if robbery/robberies had occurred in the past then why was the window that only locks on one side and the sill broken on the other side still operable? The innkeeper, Ben, had told us that that window was suppose to be screwed shut! I guess they just never got around to it!

Hopefully anyone that reads this remembers to practice due diligence and take security precautions!

Room Tip: Do not stay in Room 8 unless serious upgrades to security have been done! Even then...move the frid...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank shandee88
NIBelize, Manager at Nautical Inn, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Hello,

I am very sorry to hear about the break in. As the owner of this particular unit I was not informed of this and I will look further into this matter.

We are in the process of getting new windows that will have alarms on them. My sincere apologies. Thank you for sharing your experience as we always strive to provide the best customer service and the best vacation experience for our guests.
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

You could never get any better service than The Nautical Inn. If they don't have something, they'll go right out & get it. My husband & I stayed over Thanksgiving, which is a USA Holiday, and Ben, Manager, made sure I had our Southern Thanksgiving Dinner (just an example of type of service). Ben's whole staff-Jovita, BoBo, Teo and others went over & beyond to make our stay a very pleasant experience. It is a very laid back atmosphere with a super friendly staff. Would definitely stay again if back in Placencia.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank PeteorPepper
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 24 November 2013

The rooms are very well equipped and right on the beach. We would sit on the chairs outside at night and stare at the moon and the ocean... it was so silent, so quiet, so absolutely wonderful! The staff was very, very nice, always smiling, nice people. It´s not in the very downtown of Placencia but it´s a short drive. Would definetely go back to the Nautical Inn.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Corunna, Michigan
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I could not be happier with my choice for myself and crew to spend our vacation at Nautical Inn!! The view is absolutely stunning! I couldn't have asked for a better spot to relax and enjoy time off. Benjamin and staff were more then accommodating, not only in their service at the Inn, but getting us to the most amazing excursions Belize had to offer!! If I could go back right now I would!! Snorkeling with sting rays and enjoying lunch on a private island, to swimming in the most amazing waterfalls I've ever seen! I highly recommend enjoying your vacation with Ben and his amazing staff!!!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Kelly_CB819
Corunna, Michigan
Reviewed 24 October 2013

First, I would like to say that I will be making a trip back to the Nautical Inn. Between Ben and Jovita, they made us feel like we were at home, anything we needed from food, drinks, to some bug spray, they had it for us. Ben gave us great information about which excursions to do and joined in on our snorkeling one. The Nautical Inn is an amazing resort, unlike other hotels/resorts, you received the service you wanted. We spent an entire week in Belize, and not one of us wanted to go home. If you are looking to stay anywhere in Placencia, look no further, the Nautical Inn is your place. The views, the people, just the place in general gave us a trip of a life time, and we can not wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
#10 of 19 in Placencia
Singing Sands Inn
Singing Sands Inn
#9 of 19 in Placencia

Been to Nautical Inn? Share your experiences!