See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Hotel is very good for the Tourist and business travelers and very close to the beach. Area was very safe , rooms were clean, Food was good. Helped me to get Vegetarian food. Had little difficulty With Internet but sorted when complained.. Great service..

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank naman p
Richard R, Directeur général at Novotel Cotonou Orisha Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Dear Sir,

We have received your comments and greatly thank you for your remarks.

We aim to constantly serve and please our customers.

While waiting to welcoming you once more at Novotel Cotonou Orisha,

Best regards

Reviewed 30 June 2013

I recently had to visit Cotonou on a business visit to a subsidiary of my company. Thinking that Novotel was a known name around the world, I was there. The duo managing the front desk were rude and had the worst English possible. Considering that a Novotel expects customers from all over the world, you would imagine that they would have someone who could speak English well.

I couldn't pay for the two nights at once as the POS wouldn't work. Even then the misbehaving POS was kept in a dingy room at the back of the front-office. Why wouldn't the POS work at Novotel? Were they expecting visitors to haul in cash from their countries?

They duo managing the desk kept talking to themselves without offering any bit of support.

Finally paid for a night after rummaging for loose changes and then went to my room which was a glorified Ibis. Bare, old and devoid of that distinction that should make it different from a budget hotel.

However the hotel managed to get more than 1 star when I met the officer manning the night duty, Jean Marc, who was direct opposite. He was helpful, easily put my phones on the internet, re-booked my rooms and was very pleasant.

Never the less, I would never visit Novotel again - it left a very sour taste in my mouth.

Room Tip: You can actually open the window and savor the view from the balcony
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Pinkjacket

Dear Sir,

We have received your comments and we would like to greatly thank you for your remarks.

We sincerely apologize for bad experience you faced while staying with us at Novotel Cotonou Orisha.

When next you come to Cotonou, please contact us directly to handle your booking and show you that things have improved at Novotel Cotonou Orisha.

While waitong to welcoming you once more at Novotel Cotonou Orisha,

Best regards

Reviewed 23 June 2013

Though pricey, Novotel Orisha Cotonou provided all the necessities for business travel. Comfortable bed and ample worktop space for both work and life!

As with most other countries in this region, most TV stations are in french, with the exception of a few news channels so be prepared if you are anglo-inclined.

Good quality continental cuisine. And also a short drive away from Haie Vive, where you are spoilt for choice when it comes to cuisine options (found a nice indian restaurant - Tandoori Nights).

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms have the best view. No balcony though.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Roy K
Reviewed 20 June 2013

The Novotel Orisha Cotonou is perfectly acceptable. The only really great thing about it is the lovely landscaping and nice places to sit by the pool. It's clean and comfortable enough. Air conditioning works well. Sea views are well worth asking for.

However, the hotel is showing its age and feels very worn out. The minifridge usually does not work or at least does not keep things particularly cold. One in every three times, you will get back to your room and your key will have stopped working, so you have to go back downstairs and they reactivate it for you. At some point we just took to reactivating it automatically upon returning to the hotel. It's clean, but it's always exciting to see what assortment of bath products you'll wind up with. Today, it's five bath gels and one shampoo. Tomorrow, it's three shampoos and one conditioner. The next day it's some more bath gel. Always a surprise! One of my colleagues had to have her safe hack-sawed open because the batteries ran out and they couldn't open it another way. The food is fairly terrible, but I think I just don't agree with French tendencies to douse everything with mayonnaise or cream. Once I got the Caesar salad and it had approximately an entire tin of anchovies in it, barely chopped up!

Worst marks are the cost for the fairly meager breakfast. The offerings of fruit vary, usually pineapple, watermelon, and grainy cantaloupe. Only very occasionally mango or papaya. They offer some strange scrambled eggs that are of a consistency that I'm not sure how to describe...atomized, maybe? And for all this you have to pay something like $20. It's just not worth it, and no free breakfast in a place like Benin seems like a rip-off to me.

Internet is predictably spotty, but that's a country-wide problem, not specific to the Novotel. It is somewhat far from food (you can't really walk anywhere), but there's always a pile of taxis waiting to take you anywhere you might want to go. No spa or gym, but there is a pool which reaches about 100 degrees when it's sunny out (though it's nice and cool after a rain storm, which also dilutes the chlorine to a more comfortable level).

Overall, it's very meh. But perfectly satisfactory if you're looking for a clean, quiet place to lay your head down.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Sarah O
Reviewed 24 April 2013

I had the pleasure to stay several days at Novotel Orisha Cotonou. The check in was quick and easy and I got a room near the stairwell and elevator. Wifi worked well for Africa standards. Just be mindful if you want to use multiple devices, you will need to request appropriate number of pass codes since a given pass code can only be actively used with a single device. Also, iPad users need to provide wifi address which can be found in the device General Settings->About. I found breakfast to be quite good as it offered African breakfast options (my preference) as well as European options (I now know why Europeans are slimmer than Americans!---for you PC police, that is actually a compliment). I only looked at the pool, but it seemed to be okay as I did observe some guests swimming in it. The ATM never accepted my card, so I had to use the one at adjacent Ibis Hotel. Comparatively, the wifi worked better at Novotel than at Ibis, but the restaurant/work/meeting area in Ibis was a bit better from perspective of available outlets and less smoky whereas the bar/meeting area at Novotel smelled of smoke and groups often commandeered a few tables for meetings. I guess that is the European influence. I really enjoyed the shower. The room was spacious and clean. I accept that when I am in a francophone African country that the majority of channels will be in Francais. To think or expect otherwise...well that demonstrates the person is not thinking! The receptionists and guards were friendly. My only issue was that I had requested a late checkout and asked if I could enjoy the complimentary 4PM late checkout time afforded to top Platinum Accor guests and receptionist said yes, that will be fine. I even observed him typing something into computer on my record. Well, as I was coming back to my room the next morning after eating breakfast, I saw a slip of paper inserted inside the key card slot. Even with my elementary level of French, I could see they were asking me to state my exact late check out time and that the usual charge of half day rate applies to noon to 1600 checkouts. I immediately went back down to reception, greeted the agent in friendly manner but politely showed her my card. At first, she said that is just a regular card, but then I pointed out the platinum label and she said free 4PM checkout is not a problem. I would have thought my status popped up on screen whenever they viewed my record. Why Marriott and Starwood Preferred Guest hotels always make it a point to mention my guest status and are upfront about the benefits my status afford me. Only Sofitel Pullman in Dakar did the same in Accor hotel chain. I would recommend the various Mercure, Novotel, and Ibis hotels conduct frequent guest training since if I travel somewhere where there is an Accor hotel and a SPG hotel, I would most likely choose to stay at the SPG hotel. That is something only hotel management can change. Last but not least, the hotel is very close to the airport and a free shuttle is available for both pickups and drop offs. Of course, a tip is expected, and depending on amount of said tip, appreciated (there does seem to be a prevailing attitude in Benin that foreigners, especially Americans, should pay more than is customary). I call that the Nigeria Effect and I do consciously limit my travel to such places.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business