“Reasonable choice for Copacabana.”
Review of Hotel Wendy Mar

Hotel Wendy Mar
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Copacabana
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed three nights here in June 2014. The room was clean and with a very comfortable bed and view over the bay. Bathroom was clean and shower warm, although when turning the tap we did get a little electrical tingle (poorly earthed pipes?). Nights are cold and we requested an extra blanket (which was inexplicably removed the next day) but we were generally warm and cosy here.

The breakfast is the best we've seen for a long time. A great buffet selection to set you up for the day with fresh breads, fruit, yoghurt and more. Much better than many others.

Wi-Fi is patchy in the rooms, a common frustration in this region.

The staff are helpful if a little surly.

There is a great sun terrace on the roof but it has no furniture. With some loungers, chairs, table, parasol this could be an attraction in itself.

I wouldn't have an issue to stay here again but there are many other hotels in Copacabana I also might try.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank twohermitcrabs

Reviewed 2 February 2014

the hotel looks nice, but the staff was very unfriendly, we didn´t feel very welcomed. They also have hotel closing hour so you have to be there before 11p.m, if not you are left outside (or at least that is what they say). The internet was also very bad.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms with the view to Titicaca Lake.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lucian G
Reviewed 3 November 2012 via mobile

Had booked this last minute the night before because we didn't really know many places around and this was one of the top rated options that still had availability.

Room was basic and we paid 33 usd for it... Beds were okay but terrible pillows. Bathroom very tiny - in order to sit on the toilet you have to squeeze around the shower because it is so tight. Shower was a little confusing... At first we couldn't get the hot water to work so we asked for assistance and he switched something on top of the shower head (there are 2 switches with  thermometer on it to adjust temp. But just couldn't figure it out) anyways help came and water was hot... Too hot... Tried to adjust it but ended up getting an electrical shock from it. Not very good... So make sure you either use a towel or completely dry off your hand before using the tap.

There was a tv in the room which worked and had a few English stations. We then went to isla del sol for the day/night so they stored our bags no problem. Everything else was fine so just be careful in the shower for the most part...

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Eveee1
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Hi,
I stayed one night because I new the place and liked it. But the staff is so unfriendly!!! The person in charge Alfredo is an awful person. They should put someone with better sense of a client! Is is a pity because the place is a good quality-price.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank bolivianstore
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Straight off the bus and into the hotel.
Fine for the price. Breakfast was poor, but edible.
Get a high room facing the lake, away from the street.
Hot water, heating, tv, and comfortable, clean beds.
All you need for a couple of nights.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 8 September 2011

80Bs for a double room with a private bathroom NOT including breakfast.

I thought this hotel was brand new when I arrived because everything looked so clean, shiny and not used. I was expecting it to be the price of a normal hotel and as I'm backpacking I didn't think I would be able to stay there. But when the staff member told me the price I thought it was a great bargain.

The positives:

- A good location. It's right next to where the buses drop people off. It's close to the main plaza but not close enough for the noise to bother you. There are a few shops next door too.
- The room was really clean. The bedding looked new and there were about 3 blankets on the bed. There was also bedside tables with lamps.
- The bathroom was also clean and looked brand new. The shower is a typical South-American electric shower, but it did get hot. (If you don't know what a typical South American electric shower is check this blog out... http://nicolafletcher.wordpress.com/2011/08/28/65-63-days-an-electric-shocking-shower/ )
- There was a TV with cable which had a few English speaking channels.
- The room had a large window which looked out towards Lake Titicaca. This was great as it let a lot of natural light into the room.

The negatives:

- There is no wifi. There is one computer but whilst I was there it didn't work.
- There is a downstairs living room BUT it never felt like I could go and sit in there because the family who run the hotel are in there all the time.
- The room is quite cold, I had to ask for another blanket. But I think everywhere in Copacabana would be cold as Copacabana is freezing!
- You have to pay extra if you would like breakfast (10Bs per person). I paid for breakfast once before a trip to Isla Del Sol, you got toast (yes real hot toasted bread) with butter, jam, a yoghurt, juice and a hot drink.

Overall I would definitely recommend Wendy Marr. It has obviously been improved a lot since the last people reviewed it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nicola856
Reviewed 15 May 2010

I travelled all over Peru, Bolivia and Chile with my 2 best friends and would never have expected to have such a great time that I would have gladly stayed out in South America for another 3 months.
So I can voucher for the Hotel Wendy Mar in Copacabana and say that not only were the staff extremely helpful but the hotel was clean, had great beds, provided a fresh breakfast and us girls had a great hot shower!!...anyone that travels around South America I think would understand that a great shower is not so easy to find...BUT we luckily found one! :)
We stayed for 3 days at Hotel Wendy Mar where we got to see the Festival of the Virgin Mary which was beautiful - the Bolivians know how to party for 3 days straight with the vast amount of people dancing in their traditional costumes and live bands – it was amazing.
Definitely would love to go back next year and would recommend Hotel Wendy Mar to anyone.
Hope this helps...enjoy your travels!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends