“Cheap, basic, perfectly average”
Review of Hostal Emperador

Hostal Emperador
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Copacabana
Hostal Emperador
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Copacabana
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Cheap, basic, perfectly average”
Reviewed 24 January 2013 via mobile

I was surprised to read so many negative reviews after staying a night in this place. It's as cheap as you can get in Copacabana and must surely be better than some of the ramshackle excuses for accomodation along the main strip.
The family here were all incredibly friendly. They didn't speak English but why should they?

We left our bags there overnight whilst we went to Isla Del Sol. The bags are left in a room which is always locked so they're perfectly safe. You only really need one night in Cooacabana and this place is pefectky adequate if you're a budget traveller.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank Iammmattdoran

Business
Kilkenny
Reviewed 30 October 2012

We got dropped off outside this hostel and before we really knew what was going on we were hustled inside. It is clean and basic so we just stayed. they advertise free wifi but they kept giving me the worg password and were then trying to blame my laptop, when I suggested I press the button on the router to connect she wasn't all happy but let me and hey presto it worked! She was trying to get me to use the PC there which was very over priced and kept freezing. There was no hot water and the room was freezing I just didn't feel safe here at all, stayed one night and changed to the Hotel Mirador the next day.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank KilkennyRoseKK

Travellers are raving about these Copacabana hotels

England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2012

For 30 bolivianos and a single room I thought I couldn't go wrong... I definitely could. After getting up early for Isla del sol, I attempted to pay for the one night's stay. Big problems. The owner was adamant I'd stayed for 3. 15 minutes later we'd cleared things up & I was on my way to the sunny island. BALLBAG, I'd left my ipod on the pillow. No worries, I'll just pick it up the next day, I'm sure the cleaner wouldn't be interested in a rusty, pink nano filled with Snoop Doggy Dogg Dog. WRONG. Oh well, I can't really blame her. He is, after all, a voice of a generation. I collected my backpack, over the moon that it was still in the country, and began exiting the rust bucket. "Oh, and you still haven't paid us for your night's stay". SORRY? It's one thing being a victim of theft, but then being accused of it within the following 10 seconds is another one of those fish kettles. This is analogous to a woman sucker punching another woman's baby in the face and then proceeding to question why it was her baby that had been punched.

"Oh, and who's bag are you carrying?" This barrel faced woman just will not stop! So please, damas y caballeros, do not stay at Hostel Emperador.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Ortis_Deley
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed 6 February 2012

The hostel is basic like most of the places in Copacabana. However we went there in Jan (summer) it was quite cold in the room and shower was far from being hot... The price for the room with private bathroom was comparable with other hostels. The Senora (owner) was trying to be helpful but she didn't speak any English. We spent there 2 nights and it happened regularly that there was nobody at the reception. The kitchen was ok although it was very small. No internet in the hostel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Trondheim, Norway
Reviewed 22 January 2012

The rooms are basic, the same as all the hostels in that area. But they charged us double the amount we were told when we checked in, saying that the price they had given was per person, so be aware of this. The room next to us got broken into by someone who apparently had a key and received no help from the owners. We handed in our laundry but no one was there when we came to get it, so had to "break in" and get it after 5 hours of waiting to not miss our bus. They just don't care.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank villogyr
oxford
Reviewed 19 January 2012

This hostel is a little strange!
When we arrived, the lady in charge said she had a room available and took us upstairs, where we then had to wait (with our rucksacks on our backs!) whilst 2 boys finished cleaning the room. The room was large and clean, but we could see from a distance that the bed sagged, and it was very hard and uncomfortable.
The bathroom had an electric shower which worked (apart from day 2 when there was no water at all), but its position meant that everything else in the bathroom got wet.
We were told that the room was 35 Bolivianos a night, which we thought was a bargain, but when we went to pay, we were told that this was per person! Still not expensive, but more than we expected.
We had our laundry done whilst we stayed, and when I gave it to the lady, she left it in the corridor outside the room she was cleaning for about an hour. She then took it to her daughter in the Hostel Sonia opposite, and we had to go and collect it from there. We had read a few other reviews about laundry so had made a list of everything we had given her, and were glad we did! We collected and paid for our laundry and then when we got back to our room, realised half of it wasn't there! We went back, and were given the rest of our laundry, but if we hadn't checked, we would have been without underwear for the rest of our trip!
This hostel is cheap, but if you look around, you can probably find better places to stay in Copacabana.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2012

This hostel is relatively clean, although our room really stank of petrol! The lady who runs the place is nice enough, although we had a strange late night visit from her and a young boy who insisted on coming into our room to check the toilet was working properly, while my girlfriend and I were in bed. Also we were left with a bitter taste in our mouths at being overcharged when we left, we were made to pay 70 instead of 60 bolivianos. Not a lot of money but still not what had been agreed. Overall though this hostel is ok for a night and is pretty cheap even for Bolivia.

• Stayed January 2012