“Full day boat trip on the Kavango”
Review of Steenbok Safari

Steenbok Safari
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We wanted to spend a full day on the river to do bird and wildlife photography as well as find soem specific bird species as part of a birdwatching exercise. Most trips offered are for 3 hours in the morning and another three hours in the evening, so we were referred to Steenbok Safari's by Gerard Meygaarden. The cost of the trip was P2250-o excluding food and drinks and included the park fees. Moabi met us at the Chobe Safari Lodge at 08h00 ( we were 10 minutes late ) and were introduced to our skipper and guide Charlie.

Charlie did an excellent job to get us around, helping to find the birds we wanted to spot and to position the boat for photography something he does about 4 times a year for specialised trips. The boat we used was a smaller one with a V-hull and therefore quite unstable for photography if one is not used to it. If a more stable boat si required, specify before hand so that a more flat bottomed boat can be provided. we got exactly what we specified for two people with different but overlapping needs and we could do exactly what we wanted without being encumbered by a large group of people. Charlie also keeps a sharp eye on the hippo's and although eh brings you as close as possible, he always he your (and his) safety at heart.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I and my friend booked with Moabi of Steenbok Safari a 2-nights camping trip in Chobe, in May 2014. He was highly recommended on TripAdivsor and even though he is more expensive than other companies ($500 vs. ~$350 for standard fixed date tours) he was available on the dates we needed. Overall the experience was very good with two exceptions: 1. after we crossed from Zambia to Botswana Moabi asked us to wait in order to pick up a 3rd person who needed a ride to the Kasane airport. The person never showed up and we almost missed the first attraction of the day, the boat tour. The boat waited for us but still, we expected exclusive attention during our safari - no side deals and pick-ups. On the upside the lunch after the boat ride was excellent, at a fancy waterfront lodge - unlike other boat tourists, who had a modest buffet. The 2nd issue was that Moabi forgot all the meat for the meals at his home so the 2nd morning we had to drive back to town to pick it up. It was a less than 1 hour diversion but it strengthened the initial impression. The safari itself was very interesting and Moabi is very knowledgeable. One morning, when hearing the lions roaring nearby, he dropped everything, we jumped in the car and ran to catch up with the lions - so he is willing to go the extra mile for a good safari experience. The camping gear was good. The food could have been better (the meat issue aside). After Botswana I did a 10-days safari with Wild Dogs in Namibia and their overall execution was flawless - and the dinners very tasty. So because of this higher standard I cannot give Moabi the best grade.

2  Thank Andrei F
Reviewed 21 May 2014

After seeing Victoria Falls, wanted to enjoy a one day safari and this was perfect. They picked me up at 7:30 at my Vic Falls hotel and an hour later we were crossing into Botswana. I liked the format of this tour....on the river in the morning and in the safari truck in the afternoon. We saw lots of animals and the guides were all good. Would recommend.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

A most enriching experience indeed ! I spent 2 days in April 2014 with Maobi and Timothy, our personal chef. Just 3 of us camping out in Chobe N.P. Did 4 game drives over 2 days and got to see all the animals. No rush and free and easy routine, unlike the other "rush" tourist package where their jeeps got to leave the park by 6.30pm.

If you desire the most intimate experience, choose to camp and rough it out. Be prepared to live with "back to basic" sanitation: make-shift shovel for your latrine, and over the head bucket shower for your bathing. The big plus: Maobi chooses his campsite well and within proximity to the animals' concentration. So each morning, you get to see animals up close and personal. Frankly, I don't think I need to step into another zoo in my life !

On a personal note, there is a personal touch from Maobi. I would call it 5 star service in the bush !!!

My 2 days was one I will remember for many years to come !!

You cannot go wrong with Steenbok ! Great job Maobi !

2  Thank Eric K
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I booked a Chobe day trip with Steenbok Safari because of all the good reviews on tripadvisor. And we had a great time, we got picked up at our hotel in Victoria Falls and we were brought to the border with Botswana where the driver helped us with the customs procedures. On the other side we were picked up by Moabi who brought us to the cruise. The cruise was a lot of fun and we saw all kinds of animals (mostly Hippos and Crocodiles). After the cruise we had lunch at the Chobe Safari Lodge, great food! When we finished our lunch we did the game drive, we had a private tour since we were the only people who had booked for that day. What a great experience! We told the guide that we had not yet seen a lion in the wild and he told us that lions are most active at night so that it could be pretty hard to spot one during the day. Only half an hour into our trip he found lion footprints in the sand. He started following the prints and he found the lion hidden in the bushes. It was great to finally see one after not seeing any lions in Kruger National Park. Moabi is very knowledgeable and really shows you the best things Chobe has to offer!

1  Thank Chris_1989NL