“Good choice among a LONG list of good choices”

Cresta Mowana Safari Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kasane
Atlanta
“Good choice among a LONG list of good choices”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The lodge was a great location. It is located right on the Chobe River.

We had organized 2 activities a day. Upon arrival the first day we organized the river boat ride. AWESOME!!

The Lodge has several boats.... we were able to get right up on the river animals. We got to watch a male elephant and a Cape Buffalo get into an argument. Hippos were everywhere.

Food is served buffet style and was very good. We even got to try Mopane (grubs), but they have choices for everyone.

I recommend you do a morning AND evening safari. The animals are out at the different times of day. We got to see a Leopard who had just taken down an Impala on our morning game drive.

If you go during the winter months...TAKE WARM CLOTHES. We have on many layers in the morning and shorts in the afternoons.

BTW take your Malaria pills and bring some 30% deet or higher bug spray. You don't need a lot but you do need it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
CrestaManager, Manager at Cresta Mowana Safari Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent post on TripAdvisor regarding your stay at Cresta Mowana Safari Resort & Spa.

We are delighted that you had such a memorable safari and enjoyed the game experience. Thank you for the vote of confidence in selecting our resort amongst the many accommodation options that were available to you. We are very pleased that you enjoyed our unique location on the banks of the Chobe River. It was indeed our pleasure to be of service to you.

John Gray, General Manager, Cresta Mowana Safari Resort & Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ellijay, Georgia
Reviewed 7 June 2014

A friendly staff meets you at the front when you arrive... and it's all good from there. The are personable and helpful....
The lodge is gorgeous... open air... just what I'd think of when I think a lodge on the river....
The rooms were nice.... clean.... I felt safe.... We did have some wildlife to come in for a close visit (elephant and hippo). Take the river cruise and do both the morning and afternoon game drive.... Our ranger/guide (who's name I cannot recall - started with an 'm') was great... he did two of our three drives and our cruise.... he knows the animals and knows how to get you a good view (safely and without infringing on the animals)....
The views from the upper bar are incredible.... the BEST place to watch the sun set... and recap the day... Simply stunning panorama...
The meals are buffet.... and offer some of the local fares... I am ok with breakfast buffet... maybe lunch...sometimes dinner..... it's just so much food! Staff was great in the dining room.
We even got to share champagne with the wives of some African diplomats visiting the lodge - a real treat!!
I also had a nice massage in the spa.... for a little treat. Again - no complaints.
It was a great visit... the people, the service, and the wildlife - LOTS of elephants (in and out of the water) and hippos to see... and we even say a leopard on a kill!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ClemsonTiger1996
Dear Guest

We are delighted that you had such a memorable safari and enjoyed the abundant game experience, including seeing the incredible leopard kill. We are pleased that you found our Safari Resort "gorgeous" and our staff friendly. Our hard working team takes pride in ensuring that all guests leave Mowana with fond memories. It was indeed our pleasure to be of service to you.

Gaborone
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is situated near Chobe river and is a gateway to the great Victoria falls. The rooms are of spacious and very clean and overlook the Chobe river. The restaurant has a good selection of mouth watering meals and even vegetarians would love it.
In the evening there is some live music played by some young charming man. The music will take you back to the 80s and 90s and often people find themselves on the dance floor doing some chachachas. The hotel offers arrangements for a game drive or boat cruise to view animals. And also the hotel can arrange day trips to the wonderful Victoria falls. You need to have enough holidays, otherwise you will not want to leave the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank ruzemvya
Dear Guest

Thank you for the encouraging positive remarks. We are pleased that our accommodation and dining experience were to your satisfaction. It was indeed our pleasure to be of service to you.

Navarre, Florida
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed as part of an all adult tour group, however, if I return to Botswana with my grandchildren this is the place I would stay. The lodge offers a huge variety of activities and the game drives, boat rides, visit to Namibia, pool, and game viewing from the balcony are fabulous. We had room 226 and it is a long, long walk from reception...the walking is along a pretty dark, uneven wooden walkway. The stairs are treacherous so watch your step. But, the value of this long walk is every room faces the Chobe river. If you get a room near the end as we did then at night you can see the hippos who come in to munch on the grass. Warthogs are the squirrels of Botswana and we enjoyed them so much and they are quite tasty, too.

We enjoyed morning game drives with Mondu and Emily. They also were our boat captain and crew. Between the boat and the game drives we saw elephant, leopard, lioness and cubs. puku, kudu, impala, honey badger, jackal, mongoose, buffalo, hippo, swimming elephants!, red lechwe, baboons, Lilac breasted roller, Secretary Bird, bull sable antelope(looks like a horse) and the list goes on and on and on!

We enjoyed the trip to Namibia island of Ismalila. I thought I was going to just some fake village experience but this is really where these people live and you just are walking around their neighborhood. Our guide Calvan took us on a walk from the boat docking to the village. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of the plants and their uses. He gives you the common and botanical name of every plant. His grandmother was a medicine woman so he knows all the medical uses for the plants. Very interesting. You will learn and see the homes being built using the termite mound dirt. You will learn all about the termite mound and it is very interesting. We met 4 children ages 1-4 years old. They were playing essentially unsupervised in the village and were friendly and cute. The two older boys were playing with a homemade string ball and chasing each other with a butter knife...which reminded me of how boys played ages ago. If you have the chance, take a few balls to the boys. I wished I had. At the end of the walk you get a very few minutes to see the crafts made by the women of this village. I recommend you buy everything you may want as you will NEVER see the items at lower price anywhere in Botswana or South Africa. I only bought two bowls and a basket...each for $10 (total $30) and wish I had bought every basket. I refuse to barter as the asking price was reasonable and their only income. They took my $10 US. No pressure and beautiful work. I bought a bowl that looks like an elephant footprint...you will know that is what it is after having seen a few on your game drives.

Elephants...well, that is why we go to Chobe and you will not be disappointed. Swimming elephants were beyond belief! To observe the elephant in the river eating grass, ducking under water and popping up in another spot...you will never see that in a zoo.

Food...hotel food was ok, take your water bottle with you to dinner. However, the best part is you will get a selection of African game...warthog, kudu, impala, mopani worms, maize, etc. I like being able to sample this food but having food choices more known to me available. Lunch at the pool and dinner in the dining room are both about the same. Desserts are not too great but the ice cream is reliable. The dinner meal has a singer for entertainment and he has a wonderfully pleasing, relaxing voice.
We were promised a wake up call that did not get. Reception charged my phone for me but I did not get my correct cord back and didn't notice until a few days later. I had great experience with the free, unlimited wifi as long as I was near reception. Not able to receive the signal in my room.
Really, Mondu and Emily were so good they made up for the failings off any other staff or any other little bother. As we were walking into town, the shuttle staff stopped, picked us up and offered to come back to town at an agree time and get us. They did come back and get us. We had never seen the shuttle so we were very pleased with their service. The two (man and woman) were very sweet and helpful.
I just want to give a shout out to the lodge for having a female guide. Emily can spot a fly on a buffalo butt from half a mile away and she is so cordial and chummy. I am very pleased to know I could hire a private, FEMALE guide if I wanted a private guide. As a woman, that makes me more comfortable.
I would stay here again and the drives and boating would be suitable for any age. Just keep the kids attended as it is along the river with crocs and hippos.

Room Tip: Get a room near the end, upstairs so you can see the hippo munching on the lawn.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank dkorwood
CrestaManager, Manager at Cresta Mowana Safari Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your post on TripAdvisor regarding your stay at Cresta Mowana Safari Resort & Spa. We appreciate the time you spent in detailing your feedback.

We are delighted that you had such a memorable holiday and learnt so much about our beautiful country Botswana and surrounding areas. Thank you for the encouraging positive remarks regarding our Resort facilities and staff especially Emily, Mondu and Calvin.

Thank you for pointing out areas needing attention. It is with constructive feedback from our valued guests like you that we can identify where we are falling short so that we can immediately address such areas. It was indeed our pleasure to be of service to you.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Our second stop on our trip to Africa was at the Cresta Mowana Safari Lodge on the Chobe River. The room was excellent although our view of the river was a bit obscured. This was a very minor quibble since everything else was wonderful. Morning and evening game drives, river safaris on the Chobe River, well prepared food, and knowledgeable staff. We "shot" lions, elephants, leopards, cape buffalo, hippos, giraffe, zebra, etc, etc. At one point our vehicle was surrounded by a large group of elephants, which was a sight I never thought I'd see. In all a great adventure.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mitch R
CrestaManager, Manager at Cresta Mowana Safari Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Guest

We are delighted that you had such a memorable safari and enjoyed the game experience. Thank you for the encouraging positive remarks regarding our Resort facilities and staff. It was indeed our pleasure to be of service to you.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed 2 nights at the Mowana Crest. The lodge is open-air with a very large, awesome looking tree in the center between the restaurant, reception and the Chobe River. The rooms were modern and clean with mosquito netting over the bed. Our package included breakfast, lunch and dinner. All were buffets. If we go back I would elect to order from the menu, mainly because it was too much food.

Room Tip: The rooms face the river, but some of the views are obstructed by trees, especially some of the room...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

It was our pleasure to be of service to you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Gaborone, Botswana
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Cresta Mowana hotel

I stayed at the hotel during a business retreat in May 2014

It's a beautiful hotel situated on the banks of the Chobe River. The reception area is cozy and the staff professional. I was given a refreshing towel soaked in lemon grass to refresh myself and a cocktail on arrival.

May room 224 was was about 300m through not so well lit corridors. Once inside the thatched rustic rooms I was not disappointed. The theme is on safari as evidenced by the elephant lamb sheds .The room was big with stunning views of the Chobe river . I sat at the balcony and enjoyed the sunset.
There was a mosquito net over the bed which was cool as Kasane is a malarious area.

Supper was buffet and well thought of. As we ate there was a live band that played the most beautiful music from the 80s, 90s and loco-regional music.

I did not get the chance to play at the wonderful golf course. I just walked on it. We

The mst annoying thing was the lack of wireless internet in the rooms. For such a popular resort this is not good in this modern world. Internet was available in the business centre and foyer which both were more than 100m from my room ... What an inconvenience

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

It was our pleasure to host you for the just ended conference. We are pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay. Thank you for highlighting areas of improvement including wifi connectivity in guest rooms. We are working with our local internet service provider and telecommunications company to ensure that our connectivity challenges are addressed.

We look forward to welcoming you back, and I trust that on your next visit you will have time for a round of golf.

John Gray, General Manager, Cresta Mowana Safari Resort & Spa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kasane
Chobe Safari Lodge
#2 of 6 in Kasane
Kwalape Safari Lodge
Kwalape Safari Lodge
#20 of 20 in Chobe National Park

Been to Cresta Mowana Safari Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!