“I would definitely stay here again, and may well do so...”

Cresta Mowana Safari Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kasane
Reviewed 4 July 2010

Stayed here in late February with an alumni tour group, as an extension to a SouthAfrican safari/cities tour. Game viewing was superior; guides well-informed; service flawless; and the food was, a bit surprisiingly, wonderful! We were welcomed warmly, took the river trip on the third afternoon (don't miss it! what an experience) and were sad to be leaving when our time was up. I would gladly stay at this lodge again.

• Stayed: February 2010
2  Thank JohnTraveler22

Reviewed 26 May 2010

We stayed here for three nights and were given a room the far end of the complex from the reception. It was lovely and quiet during the day, and the noises of the frogs, hippos and monkeys were unabated during the night. The rooms are a little dated, but very clean and the mosquito nets around the bed are a must. We had aircon which was a great relief and only saw the odd gecko running around the ceiling! The staff were very friendly and arranged all our safari trips with no issues at all. The bar is upstairs and is a perfect location to watch crocs and hippos swim while you are watching the sun set. The baobub tree in the centre of reception is simply beautiful. The food was a nice mix of local and international recipes and differed each night.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ScoobyDoo42
Reviewed 25 December 2009

My experience at Cresta Mowana started with the airport pick up. Our driver was very friendly and helpful, and the bus was air conditioned and new, which was a good start. The check in process was nice, welcome drinks, cold towels, friendly staff. We had to ask for a change of room as ours did not have a view as was described to us before we booked. The room is suitable, I can’t rave about it, but it was fine and we spent quite a bit of time in it on one rainy day.

Our safari experience in Chobe National Park was interesting, our guide Florence was quite nice and knowledgeable. The thing about the park is that you get a chance to see the animals close up, as they are not afraid of the tour jeeps. Seeing Elephants and Giraffes crossing the road was amazing. The boat trip was also a great experience and we enjoyed our guide Chris.

The only real disappointment about the hotel was the food to a certain extent. The buffet got a bit boring and I didn’t find the meals to be outstanding. Otherwise it was a nice little weekend trip. I would not describe the hotel as 4 star, but we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Islandgirlep
Reviewed 23 December 2009

What a wonderful hotel. From the beautiful grounds to the Restarant. Wished I could stay longer. The Wild Horizon Safari was outstanding.

• Stayed: December 2009
1  Thank anomous
Reviewed 8 November 2009

We stayed at Mowana Lodge as a change from our designated hotel on a tour. A number of us on the tour had some concerns re the change after viewing their website and comparing it with the original hotel booked. However, the Mowana proved to be a lovely base for our exploration of the area. The rooms, although a bit dark had a real African feel, were comfortable, well serviced and air conditioned. Staff were helpful and friendly.The lodge is right on the Chobe river and a herd of elephants lazily grazed just across from the lodge. The bar area has a selection of comfortable sofas and chairs, ideal for a quiet read or snooze with great views over the river.
Game drives are a short distance away and river safaris allow you to view a range of animals and impressive bird life.
We understand that the website is soon to be revamped which will hopefully give a more positive view of the lodge and all it offers.

• Stayed: October 2009
2  Thank Happytraveller08
Reviewed 7 October 2009

I have booked this hotel through a travel agent for some of my clients. We have pre-paid dinners and breakfasts. Upon arrival - after 3pm - our rooms were still not ready. The dinner is ok, but most definitely not 5 star. The rooms are in serious need of repair and renovations. We were quoted a price for the game drives and boat cruise but charged a higher rate which took more than half an hour to rectify. Then, one of the front office staff charged my client (not my room) the full dinner fee for the whole group - more than US$500 as well as a US$30 so-called 'cash out' which is when a client request cash in local currency. Because the client is Italian and didn't understand the conversion rates as we only arrived the previous night, he paid and only realised the following day when we were in Zambia what he was charged. The lodge told my booking agent they will reverse the charge immediately but not the cash-out (even though they could not find the docket where the client signed for it). This is now already nearly mid October and after numerous telephone calls and emails they still have not refunded the client's card.
The game drive rangers did not show much enthusiasm either at showing clients the animals.
So travel agents and direct clients, read many other similar comments on this lodge and be aware... If I am the only one complaining, you could have ignored this, but there are numerous other complaints.

I for one will never stay here again and will not book another single client to go there.

• Stayed: August 2009
1  Thank TravelingWilbury005
Reviewed 30 September 2009

My problem with this lodge may just be a case of poor management and training and perhaps that when I pay a premium price I do expect a premium product. The location of this lodge is stunning and the safari personnel were wonderfully educated and trained for their jobs. They also seemed to enjoy themselves, which was a pleasure and helped us to enjoy our safaris both on land and on the boats. My problems began with my first lunch when I thought to inquire about the safety of the drinking water...we were told that for 2 weeks people had been having diarrhea and that the water was a problem. I HAD TO ASK TO HEAR THIS! I took my concerns to the Guest Relations person and she echoed the information, but said we should have been told this at check in. I agree, but we weren't. Bottled water was available for purchase and it was relatively inexpensive, so that's what we did. We didn't eat fresh fruit or salad or use ice, and we brushed our teeth with bottled water. We were there two nights; the first night was uneventful. The second day/night the water pressure was low, then non existent in the cold tap, then non existent in the hot tap. There was no running water in the hotel for a number of hours. Mid afternoon we noticed that our room air conditioner was not putting out cold air. Maintenance did come up to our room twice and 'fixed' it, but it would only work for a bit. Then we had a storm and a power surge knocked out the air con again. We asked to change rooms (the temp was high 90's and we couldn't open the windows because of the mosquitoes), which they did, but the fan didn't work in the next room and we were hotter than the first room when the next power surge knocked out the air con again. We changed again, this time to a suite. The ceiling fan was working in this room so we stayed put when the third power surge knocked out the air con again. So for our last night we barely had water (not enough to take a shower as you didn't know if it would last long enough to rinse off) and no air con. While the Guest Relations and Manager on Duty did help us out, it was only because I went to the desk and stood there until they came up with the next idea of solving the problem. Whenever I went away and left the problem with them, there was no change until I returned and asked about it. I never felt that my needs were anyone's concern and I found it necessary to manage the problems myself. I find this unacceptable in an expensive lodge. If I was paying to go camping, I would have been happy with what I received; but I ended up paying a premium price for a cheap service.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kasane
Imbabala Zambezi Safari Lodge
#2 of 8 in Kasane
Sanctuary Chobe Chilwero
Sanctuary Chobe Chilwero
#6 of 21 in Chobe National Park

Been to Cresta Mowana Safari Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!