“Best place in and around Atlantic City”

Clarion Inn & Suites Atlantic City North
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Absecon
GreenLeadersGold level
Huntington, New York
“Best place in and around Atlantic City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

You will not find a more relaxing place to stay in the whole area. Very nice breakfast set-up and you really will not find better value anywhere. Sandra does a great job keeping the place humming. And when she is not there, I can count on Melissa's smiling face to take care of things. In fact, the whole staff is very nice. I was down there with my brother for a lengthy stay not long ago and I will be heading back to spend part of the holidays there.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
LaGrangeville, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

Sandra was very helpful and very friendly. The whole place was clean and enjoyable. Sandra and the hotel staff were always able to meet with me and address any situation that was a concern. I would certainly stay at this establishment again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

First of all, I posted this review last week and It seems strange that it was deleted. I received a confirmation email that my entry was posted and I have not authorized the removal of it. I now question if TRIPADVISOR is truly a reliable media source to share truthful experiences about hotel establishments.There were also 7 other "terrible" reviews and when I logged out and logged back in they said "0". I will repost what I shared:

I want to first start by saying when considering a venue for an affair the first thing that comes to mind ambiance. The second is hospitality. Your establishment indeed offered the perfect ambiance for the affair that was hosted but the poor customer service and the rude manager Sandra Brown cast a dark cloud over my entire experience. As a result of this I will never patronize this hotel as long as there is a Sandra Brown as "general manager" as she stated she was. At the initial meeting between she and I regarding securing the Clarion as a venue for my affair we signed a contract. She stated that the deposit must be $200 in cash and was non-refundable. It was further explained that the remaining balance could be paid via credit card, check, or debit 24 hours before the event. It was understood that the balance would be paid well before then and I was on my way.

Several weeks later and two days before the event she called me to say that I needed to come and pay the remaining balance and it had to be in cash. I reminded her of the initial meeting in which she said that the remaining balance did not have to be in cash. She immediately became argumentative and said that her internet was down and the entire hotel was without internet service and the credit card processing was via internet. This did not make much sense to me because if that is the case then the guests of the hotel would have to use cash for their stay and most people use a credit card for hotel stays. I questioned this further trying to make sense of this sudden change. She did not affirmatively answer if she was demanding cash payments from all other hotel guest but rather began to get nasty and irate with me stating that "I can't do this!" I kept asking "Do what?" She stated that this is why she was leery of renting to black people and she doesn't have this problem with her white or Indian guests. She said she was skeptical of my group anyway and told me that I could come to pick up my deposit and she would cancel my affair which was to be held SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 17, 2013 and it was FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 15th when we had this discussion. As politely as I could I tried to diffuse the argument by saying "Mam, I am not yelling at you, I just want to know why you can't explain to me why all of a sudden that you want cash." She then yelled back "May name is not mam!!"

I asked her if I could bring a certified bank check and she said yes, but if I did that the other general manager had to first go to the bank and verify if the funds would clear and then I could have my event. I questioned this again by stating if it is a certified bank check then the funds are already clear. She asked me if I could pay by debit and I asked if I can pay by a debit card then why not a credit card? You need the same internet service for a debit card that you need for a credit card. At this point she threatened to cancel my event and told me to come and get my deposit. I was angry at the fact that she threateded me and there was not much I could do because I feared that she would cancel my event like she said simply because I questioned her ONLY wanting cash from me. This was a red flag to me.

I told Sandra that she was wrong for speaking to me that way and had no reason to cancel my affair because I did nothing wrong. I had every right to question why she demanded cash 48 hours before the event when this is not a normal business practice. In addition if in fact the absence of internet caused the problem of truly not being able to receive electronic payments that was a customer inconvenience. Considering we had a contract in place and she knew there were over 100 guest expected to be in attendance. She offered no apology for the racial remarks she made in reference to not having these problems with White people or Indian people. She was very condescending and disrespectful in stating that. It does not matter what color a group of people are the Clarion is a public entity in the community and all should be treated with fairness, customer service, and respect. I feared that she was going to cancel my event and I came to bring her $400.00 cash balance. Up until the very minute of my event she had me nervous and on edge. After I came to bring the $400.00 balance she took me up to the room to look at it once again. She got a phone call from her husband and I heard her say to him " I am meeting with a guest now, but there is an event on Sunday they are having I need you to come and check in on."

I was confused and angry that she would tell her husband to come and check in / spy on us. I knew for certain this wasn't standard Clarion practice but I wasn't going to dispute her out of fear that she'd blow up on me again. I had a problem with the fact that nothing was shown to me in black and white. I don't even know if $600.00 was the real price to rent the ballroom. It could have been less. I now question what the rate for ballroom usage is. I was charged $600.00 CASH but if I were White or Indian perhaps she would have charged me a lesser amount or allowed me to pay with another form of payment. I personally know people who have tried to book the venue and they were denied and I also know of others who were granted usage but did not pay as much as I did. I have every reason to believe there are racial profiling practices in use and it is unfair.

Having to pay the $400.00 cash unexpectedly was a major inconvenience for me and she offered no type of courtesy. I asked if I could come the night before to set up the hall and bring the food. I anticipated being there by 5:00 pm. I did not arrive until 7:45 pm and prior to my arrival she called to tell me that I could not come at all. I reminded her that she said I had until 9:00pm to set up and do what I needed to do but due to a conflict in my schedule I was late. I arrived and was able to do a few things but she demanded that we be out by 9:00pm. I asked if she could give me a customer courtesy and allow me to finish setting up and she said "No" That was policy that people had to be out by 9:00 pm. This made no sense to me because she later said 10:00pm. I asked to use the projector in the room and she said it was normally $150.00 but she would do it for $100.00 I asked how was it she was able as the GM to adjust pricing like that but not allow us extra time to finish setting up?? Needless to say on the day of the party she dropped the price down to $80.00 and when I told her please set it up and I would pay her after she set it up because I had to go get cash at the ATM she then claimed she couldn’t find the remote control.

It was clear to me that Sandra runs the show the way she wants to and she was only skeptical of me because I questioned her shady business practices. I have stayed in some of the finest hotels in 42 of the 50 States and in several countries and inclusive of this was many Clarion hotels. This experience was the worst!! I felt profiled, belittled, and disrespected.
To top it all off I stayed over at the hotel until the next day and early that morning around 9:00am she came knocking on the room door with a sweater she found in the ballroom asking if it was mine. I told her that the sweater didn't belong to me. She then said that check out was at 11:00 and I needed to be out of the room because she wasn't paying her staff overtime. Here again is the epitome of customer disrespect. First of all she could have waited until I came downstairs to check out to ask me about a sweater and I was full aware of what time check out was. It wasn't necessary for her to remind me of that at 9:00am. I only needed a reminder if I was past check out. I do not believe Sandra does that to every guest, So why me and my family???? I did file a complaint with Choice Hotels directly and I got nowhere because each hotel is independently owned and operated. Several days later I received a series of texts harassing me for making a complaint.

Sandra Brown needs to learn that she cannot talk to people any kind of way she wants to and get away with it even if she is the "general manager" as she stated she was. She made a point to tell me that the owners of that hotel wanted nothing to do with the place and left her in charge as the general manager. Perhaps she thought that would discourage me from reporting her to anyone since she's the top person and to some degree it did but I hope this review prepares and informs anyone of what to expect when contracting services with the Clarion!!! I feel that although my event went over well overall. This experience was humiliating and degrading in the process.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
14 Thank Cynthia M
Glen Ridge, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

This hotel ROCKS, and largely because of the fabulous manager, Sandra. We had stayed one night in early August and loved her friendly, helpful manner and the quality of the room, facilities, and breakfast at this Clarion hotel. Since we were coming back to AC in September, at checkout Sandra helped us choose a suite for our weekend with friends, saving us a bunch of money by putting us in a suite instead of two rooms--LOVE THAT! When I walked into the lobby in September--for my second stay EVER at the hotel and a month after we'd stayed for just one night--Sandra warmly and enthusiastically greeted me BY NAME: "Welcome, Marita!" I nearly fainted. By the time we checked out on Sunday, I had to hug her good-bye--it was as if we were leaving the home of an old friend. Never, ever have I had such a great experience, especially in an Atlantic City hotel. AC born and raised, I stayed in fancy casino hotel rooms and economy roadside motel rooms since moving to New York City after college. My problem with AC hotels: The fancy rooms aren't worth the outrageous tab, plus you get nickel-and-dimed, and the once-charming roadside motels had gone downhill--past shabby to truly flophouse... I stopped visiting AC because there was no decent hotel that didn't break the bank.
Well, not anymore! There is a great and affordable hotel now--thanks to Sandra and this Clarion property. You won't believe the quality for the price until you stay there. But once you do, it will be your AC hotel of choice too!

Room Tip: Just ask Sandra to choose for you--tell her what your priorities are and she will take great care of...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Reading, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

It was our daughter's wedding weekend & hastles with the hotel stay was not on our list!! This stay was very enjoyable! The manager had directions to the reception printed out upon our arrival. The rooms were clean & the continental breakfast was very good (make your own waffles!!!).

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

My husband and I travel often and we have experienced many choice hotels and other chains and have returned to this particular choice hotel on a number of occasions. On this particular stay we were blessed to meet a very nice lady, Sandra. She went out of her way to make us feel at home and attend to our needs. We will definitely return on our next stay in the AC area.

Room Tip: All rooms in this hotel are very nice and spacious
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kps2play
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

Overall the hotel was fine. Big rooms (we reserved a suite) and bathroom. Nice to see ample supplies (towels/ shampoo, soaps) for a suite. Manager (I believe her name is Sandra) is incredibly friendly as well as the young lady that ran the breakfast area. Spoke to three housekeeping staff and they too were very friend. Short drive to the boardwalk/casinos. Will definitely consider this hotel if/when returning to AC.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Absecon
Holiday Inn Express Absecon - Atlantic City Area
BEST WESTERN Garden State Inn
Red Roof Inn & Suites Atlantic City
Baymont Inn & Suites Galloway Atlantic City Area
Travelodge Absecon Atlantic City
Comfort Inn & Suites West Atlantic City

Been to Clarion Inn & Suites Atlantic City North? Share your experiences!