“Not as bad as everyone says it is”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Rodeway Inn
Ranked #18 of 25 Hotels in Absecon
Ottawa, Canada
“Not as bad as everyone says it is”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Hi i'm from Ottawa, Canada and I've been staying at this Rodeway Inn every August since 2008 and I have no complaints. I've always had good service here. No bed bugs, no dirty towels, no dirty sheets. I've worked in a couple of hotels and this one is nothing compared to what i've seen. I've never had a mosquito problem here or greenheads, but it's around the bay and swampy land so of course there a bugs flying around in summer humid weather. I've never had a problem with the staff either. All I say is don't judge a place unless you experience it for yourself. I didn't excpect much of a breakfast here but I always either go out or bring my own groceries. I think it's a good price for the value you get. I've always stayed in rooms 115 and 118 and the rooms are largly spaced and clean.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JOANNED333

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Steer clear. The place is in terrible shape, but at $225 was about the cheapest I could find for a Saturday night (note to self: book in advance). The bedspread was stained, though the sheets weren't. The toilet didn't work well. The towels were stained, and when I took them to the front desk to replace them, we probably went through 10-20 bath towels to find a single one that wasn't stained, during which the clerk made some excuse about how it's natural for towels to be stained after they're used a few times, as if me wanting one clean towel was an unreasonable expectation.

The deal breaker was when I was laying in bed the next morning and found either a tick or a bedbug crawling on the pillow next to my head. It was filled with bright red blood (until I squished it). Now, I didn't see more than one, and I was at an outdoor concert the previous night, so it could have been a tick I brought in, but a review on another site by a guy who encountered a lot of bedbugs leads me to believe it could've been a lone bedbug and I got very lucky not bringing it home with me. I told the front desk, she denied it. I took her to the room and showed where I'd killed it & the dead bug on the toilet paper I used, and she insisted I brought it in, or that I left my hotel room door open too long and let it in from outside--either way, my fault again, right?

She did say she would refund my second night's stay (I booked for two nights, and found the bug after the first night), and give me a partial refund on the first night. I didn't look at my receipt from them closely, though, since I was in such a hurry to get out of there; it showed a line that said "Guest Refund," but instead of subtracting the amount, it added it, which is what got charged to my credit card. Now, this amount did get taken off in a separate credit card transaction, leaving my charges at the full first night, but that partial refund she promised is nowhere to be seen.

I called and talked to someone about it, who had very poor communication skills, and after talking in circles with her for 20 minutes and expending all the patience I could muster, eventually got her to take my number and say she'd have the owner give me a call. That was two weeks ago, and of course, no word. She said her name was Daxa, and the owner's name is Vinesh Patel.

Room Tip: Seriously, pick a room at a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank elfbarf

Travellers are raving about these Absecon hotels

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Not A Family Oriented Place AT ALL!!!! There is no continental breakfast, They just offer coffee. As far as I know not everyone drinks coffee especially children. A Parakeet flies around in the office. There are not any snacks in the vending machine. Mosquitoes attack you when you walk out the door. The room has a very musty smell,as I sprayed half a bottle of Victoria Secret just to get a decent smell in the room. The Front desk calls you in the morning to remind you to check out at 12pm. Just Horrible, if you must stay in the area the comfort inn is right next door, and at least the offer you a hot breakfast and mean it.....

Room Tip: Spend A Little More For Anywhere But Here
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank EricaL84
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Oh my goodness, talk about false advertising. The moment we drove up to this place, we immediately knew this wasn't for us. When we arrived one of the room doors were open. It looked like a run-down dilapidated hole in the wall. It also did not look like a safe place to stay or park your car. Needless to say we immediately cancelled our two day night. Unfortunately, we were only able to get one day back. PLEASE DO NOT STAY IN THIS PLACE. RUN.....

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wjane
Seat Pleasant, MD
Reviewed 3 July 2012

When we arrived at MOTEL HELL it was terrible and the online description of the room was all a major lie. First, they said they offered complimentary breakfast but when I asked the woman behind the counter she said no all we offer is coffee and juice. I was like wow, but I'm glad they didn't offer pastries or anything of that nature because they had either a parakeet or parrot flying around their office as if the bird was a contestant in an air show. Second, the room we booked was a king bed suite that was supposed to come with a jacuzzi but of course they told us that expedia/hotels. com were false advertising. The room we originally were in had a mild mildew odor and the AC wasn't functioning properly. We left to hit the casinos and when we returned like three in the morning after the nasty storm all the power was off and so was the water. Our roof in our room was leaking and there was a huge puddle of water on the floor. They had to switch us to another room. We started off in room 118 then got moved to 126. That room reeked of MILDEW, had so many bugs, the shower had mold, the bathroom ceiling was leaking and my pregnant cousin almost slipped. It was thee WORST!!! TRying to get our money back was the worst because of the third party... The management which consists of Indians were rude and lacking empathy... I would rather sleep at a bus terminal then to EVER pay them a visit or give up money AGAIN... They are a joke and that INN needs to be CONDEMNED FOREVER... DON'T DO IT PLEASE RIDE PAST THIS MOTEL FROM HELL AND DON'T LOOK BACK...

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Missfineaswine M
Reviewed 25 June 2011

My family stayed here for 1 night, we just wanted a comfy place to sleep after a day at the beach. Never Again!!!!! The place was filled with Mosquitos, my husband killed at least 50 & we still got bit all night long! The phone in our room did not work & we wanted to order a pizza so my husband went to the front desk to use the phone, while there he told the night clerk about the bugs and all he did was offer us bug spray which by the way he never brought to us! My kids saw the hot tub and wanted to play in it, I filled it up and it looked okay then we put on the jets and the water literally turned green & had some type of film floating on the top! We drained the water and refilled the tub 4 times thinking it just hadn't been used in awhile and needed to be cleaned out but the problem was never solved! The room smelled like mildew, we had to hang car air freshners from the air conditioner! We told the lady at the desk about the issues at checkout and she said she couldn't do anything for us because we should have told them earlier even though my husband told the guy the night before! Stay Away!!

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Astepo
Reviewed 1 March 2011

We tried to stay there on a sat night. The toilet wouldn't flush not because of a missing chain but it had completely disappeared , even where it connected to the toilet flapper was gone and the tank inside had grown fur. We had to flush it with a coat hanger. The sheets were so stained we bought our own to go over top of theirs.....and then the power went out and that was the last straw. Not to say the fireworks outside our room wasn't interesting. After being completely blown off by the manager and brushed off like flies at a picnic we resorted to sitting in the car to run the heat after all 25 degrees isn't very comfortable. The manager refused any refund and choice hotels non help line told us to call back monday. They said they would try to find us another room elsewhere but we had to pay for both which we refused to do. Long story short after 2 or 3 hrs fighting the manager we eventually got our money back but had to cancel ther rest of our weekend getaway and had to drive the 2 hrs back home.

• Stayed February 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Absecon
Travelodge Absecon Atlantic City
Clarion Inn & Suites Atlantic City North
Quality Inn Pleasantville
Quality Inn Pleasantville
#3 of 15 in Pleasantville

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!