“Comfortable Clean Room, Good Value”
Review of Garden State Inn

Garden State Inn
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Absecon
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I stayed here one night while in Atlantic City. The staff were all very polite and friendly. The room was comfortable, everything worked perfectly and everything was very clean. This hotel is just a short drive (about 12 minutes) from Atlantic City and is a good low cost choice for the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 8 August 2013

Spent a night here recently and was very satisfied. The room was exceptionally clean and the staff very friendly and courteous. The room even had a whirlpool bath and hot breakfast was served in the morning. I didn't use the pool but there were several families in it and it appeared to be very clean. Considering the low cost of this motel, I would rate it as an outstanding value.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I have stayed here many times before, and I highly recommend it. It is considerably cheaper than the casino hotels in Atlantic City, but is only about a 10 minute drive from the beach and all of the action. It's close enough to AC to be convenient, but far away enough to be a quiet getaway after spending the day on the beach, boardwalk, and casinos. The rooms have always been clean when I have stayed there, the beds are comfortable, and they offer a complimentary continental breakfast from 6:30-9:00 am. For a slightly higher cost, you could also get a room with a jacuzzi tub.

Room Tip: Jetted tubs (available in some rooms) are great for relaxing!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I was shocked. I was actually scared at check in because the room was only $60 for a king size bed, jacuzzi, fridge, microwave, free breakfast and free wifi in the SUMMER!!! Yikes! I went for it and was very impressed. They just remodeled so the lobby was nice and clean. I got to the room and it is very very clean. The ONLY complaint is the bed is a little too soft for my liking but other than that, I am very happy. I would stay here any time. The manager was very nice too. I called ahead and asked a few questions. I personally feel you can get a heads up by how they act on the phone.

Room Tip: call first, like I did!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I will have to say that i have been traumatized by motels and hotels either in south jersey or close to LBI. This hotel was okay in the sense that i have seen worse, and i Mean really really worse. However there was some issues that do need to be address. I stayed with my husband on the downstairs portion of the property while my friend had her room on the top. The man at the front desk was nice when we arrived at the property being that it was late. As for what happened with my friend i do not know. I can only state my perception of the room on the downstairs level . Even though my husband did also claim to see bugs coming out of my friends room.

When entering the motel at least there was a man on premises and he was awake in the sense. I have seen clerks who were asleep and far gone when arriving so that was a plus. He was nice to show us where to park since we came in late. My husband and i entered the room and there was a musty smell not exactly mold but more then stale air. I had a few perfumes on me so i sprayed this to cover it up. It seemed to do the trick lol. The AC worked good, but got very cold at night that i had to keep adjusting from hot to cold. This was somewhat annoying. The good thing is i did not wake up gasping for air due to severe mold or cig smoke. I am allergic to this stuff and with my pituitary tumor i have to becareful... My last hotel i went to> I went to bed and was gasping for air 3 hours later because of the heavy cig smoke from the next room billowing from the walls . With this hotel i did not smell cig smoke just musty.. The carpet looked fair, but i did not expect the entire room because nothing prompted to find anything else. I did home inspections in the past so from what is saw without moving beds or looking behind the beds, it looked ok...I like firmer pillows the pillows were very soft..extremely soft.. Thank god i bring my extra set of pillows with me when i travel because i was expecting this ..just seems to be a common trend . As far as dirt or screwed up linens this was okay..
What i did see> was on the upstairs level the following day- I saw a maid who was cleaning 5 rooms down from my friend and bugs were flying out of this other persons room.. I am unsure if there is a infestation or not but it can not hurt to call someone to make sure its nothing coming from another room or the primary is coming from my friends. The summer months can bring all kinds of creatures in so maybe might want to do an operation clean sweep just to be safe lol.. I mean have the maids freshen up the air and make sure there is no bugs.... I am unsure why the clerk put a bug up to my friends face it seems a little odd. I think there should be no fighting and peaceful resolution to fix the harmony of the best western lol, bugs, people and all.. Still a great place to travel to and from AC as far as closeness.. I give this a C-.Cant wait to go back to AC again, love AC:)Great nightclub that opened up there!!

Room Tip: The rooms are the downstairs level seem okay.. AC works cold..if you like it that way,, stay here...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Hotel is kept in decent condition and very well lit up at night. Hotel rents to shady persons that lead to poor conditions, including drug / alcohol use at pool. Staff is VERY friendly and extremely nice, but don't use good judgement in "who" they rent too. Rooms are priced decent for the short commute to AC. The rooms were clean other than the stained carpets. Good place if you need a decent room for a decent price.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My friends and I were going to Atlantic City for the weekend and decided to stay at this hotel rather than a hotel on the strip to save money. HUGE MISTAKE!!! We didn't get to the hotel until around 4:30 AM because we were at a nightclub until 4. When we came at 4:30 and we had already booked the htoel at expedia, there were NO parking spots. We elft the parking lot and called the hotel and they claimed that there are "plenty of spots". He said we have to turn right at the back of the parking lot. Ok, fine maybe we missed that area of the parking lot so we turn ariund and go back into the parking lot and the man we just spoke to is standing there and he points to us where we have to go to get a spot. Well, the "plenty of spots" turns out to be this tiny spot that my friend can barely fit his highlander into. So parking is poor if you get there late, not sure how it is when you get there earlier. Secondly, we check into the rooms and I go to wash my hands in the bahtroom and I see a fly on the towel. So I think no big deal because it probably just flew it from outside when someone opened the door. Two minutes later, I see a HUGE cockroach running towards my items in my bags. I ran and stomped on it with my foot and it took like 5 times of me pounding on it for it to die. I then attempt to call the front desk and the filthy disgusting phone does not even work. I call them with my cell phone and the man at the front desk does nto seemto believe me. This is the same man that told us that there were "plenty of spots" in the parking lot. He asks if he can come to my room and I said sure I can show you the dead cockroach that I just killed. He comes up and I show it to him and he runs to the bathroom and grabs a tissue and shoves the bug in my face telling me that it is a fly because it has wings. I know what a fly looks like and this was NOT a fly. Second of all, I googled cockroaches and cockroaches have wings as well. Third of all,it doesn't matter what kind of insect it is!!! The point is that it was in the hotel room going into my personal belongings!!! GROSS!!!! So I kindly ask the man if I can have a refund. He said he would have to talk to the manager and they would let me know when I checked out at 12 PM. I said so I have to wait in this room all night to speak to a manager to get a refund? He started SCREAMING at me like CRAZY that he didn't care if I stayed in the room or not but that I would have to wait until 12 to speak to the manager. He then RAN out of my room and SLAMMED the door hard. Great custiomer service, right? Especially when there are cockroaches int he room. I then had to stay up for 7 hours playign cocroach security guard to make sure no more were going into my personal items. I saw three more during the night that I had to kill besides a fly tthat kepyt buzzing in my room. I kept hearing a ticking or dropping noise all night since I walked in the room...have no idea what that was. Maybe a leak or more bugs. The room had stains all over the carpet and smelled like mold. I didn't sleep a wink and it ruine dmy mini getaway with my friends because I was exhausted the next day from not sleeping. I asked to speak to the manager when I checked out at 11:45 PM. I spoke to Ray and he said he would have to speak to expedia abotu it. He said he can't control what expedia wants to do about it. WHAT???? You are a manager and you have bugs in your hotel, and you have no control over a refund??? Get an exterminator and DEMAND expedia for me to get a refund!!! Take control of the situation if you are a manager!! I never saw such poor customer service in my life!!! This hotel is FILTHY, has bugs, and has the worst poor cusomer service ever. If you want a hotel like that, then go ahead and book it. If you want to stay up all night watching that bugs don't go into your belongings, then go here!!! If you want the man at the front desk shoving the dead bug into your face that you killed to fight with you that it is a fly and not a cockroach, then book this place. THe choice is yours.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Meridith S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Absecon
Clarion Inn & Suites Atlantic City North
Red Roof Inn & Suites Atlantic City
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Absecon (Atlantic City) Galloway
1 mi away
Country Hearth Inn Atlantic City/Galloway
Holiday Inn Express Absecon - Atlantic City Area
Travelodge Absecon Atlantic City

Been to Garden State Inn? Share your experiences!