“Couldn't ask for more” 5 of 5 bubbles

Soria Moria Boutique Hotel
Ranked #120 of 338 Hotels in Siem Reap
“Couldn't ask for more”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

What a great place. But where should I start? The rooms are light, spacious and luxurious and a great place to cool off from the heat of the days temple excursions.

There is roof top bar with a nice view so you can enjoy the sundown with a cold drink and there is also a small pool to cool off in or spa. Location is perfect.

The main thing that stood out was the staff and the ethos of the hotel. Once a week the restaurant has $1 night where the locals can come and train in a real working environment giving them invaluable experience. Also a large percentage of the shares (I think 51%) have been allocated to the Cambodian workers so when they work there they get a slice of the action. The Hotel supports continuing education so they gain invaluable work experience and business skills, complete their education and become shareholders! This lets them properly support their families and helps build the local community for the long term, rather than profits going offshore. It's an inspiring place to be and the direct result from a customers point of view is that you get amazing service while knowing your dollar is going to the right people for the right reasons. Only if this business model could be repeated throughout countries like Cambodia then everyone would be better off! I can't recommend this more highly.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 127innes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Warner Robins, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

The Soria Moria was recommended to us by some friends who had stayed there in 2012. Airport pick up was included and we were met by Dara, who became our personal tuk tuk driver for the duration of our stay. When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted with fresh cold tea and taken to our room on the top floor. We were also given free drink vouchers but we never had time to use them. The room was comfortable but the wifi was intermittent. It did not work at all one morning, but as soon as I called the front desk, they had a man in the ceiling tiles downstairs fixing and resetting the router - that's good customer service! The breakfast was included and was tasty. I corresponded with Sochen prior to our arrival and Sochen helped book us into Haven restaurant (#1 in Siem Reap), which I found to be amazing customer service! The best part of the hotel stay was meeting our tuk tuk driver Dara. He was so kind and took great care of us. He took us on a half day journey around Angkor Wat, Bayon, and the other surrounding temples as well as a tour of Siem Reap. He also took us to dinner each evening. My friend was lost in Angkor Wat and Dara went out to find her and he did :) his driving was safe and his English was great. The hotel is so close to the old central market, night markets, pub street and all the other restaurants. We also ate at Khmer Kitchen which was yummy. Thank you for making our visit to Cambodia memorable!

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Lslusars
Herndon, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Located less than 5 minutes walk from Pub Street (where tourists eat, shop & party in the evening), Soria Moria makes everything comfortable and easy for a first-time visitor (like me) to Siem Reap.

My room was spacious, comfortable, clean and quiet. The service and staff were wonderful, and they went out of their way to make me feel welcome and appreciated.

There’s a restaurant on the first floor that’s open all day long. My very reasonable room rate included breakfast, and one morning I got to choose two items from a menu list, and the other two mornings I was offered a breakfast buffet. I also had lunch in the restaurant one day. Everything I ate was tasty and fresh.

I arrived in Siem Reap without making any advance plans for tours, but that was not a problem. In my room, I found an easy-to-use listing and description (including distance, time and cost) of possible tours, activities and day-trips. The front desk makes all the arrangements for you, and this can be done on a same-day or day-before basis. My day-long tour to the Angkor Archaeological Park included a personal English-speaking tour guide who was excellent, as well as tuk-tuk transportation; cost was $35 for the tour guide, and $15 for the tuk-tuk.

Speaking of tuk-tuks, Siem Reap is small enough that getting around by tuk-tuk is both perfectly fine as well as fun. There were always two or three tuk-tuks parked out front of the hotel, and in your room you are provided with a price guide regarding how much to pay depending upon where you’re going. Included in my room rate was a ride from the airport, and as promised, there was a driver waiting for me upon my late-evening arrival.

There are lots of places to get a massage in Siem Reap, but you don’t have to leave the hotel to do so. The hotel will arrange a massage for you (in your room or in their dedicated massage room on the top floor), and the cost is about the same as you’d pay anywhere else in Siem Reap: if I recall correctly, they are about $9 for an hour, or $14 for an hour and a half. I had two massages during my stay, and both were easily among the best massages I’ve ever experienced (and I’m starting to consider myself somewhat of a massage connoisseur).

In addition to the above, the hotel features a number of other amenities which I didn’t use, such as a small rooftop bar, a tiny fitness room, a soaking pool and a little shop selling local goods.

Bottom line, Soria Moria is simply wonderful, and staying there will make your visit to Siem Reap feel even more worthwhile, given the hotel’s benevolent approach to its business.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank afinetraveler
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

I am annoyed at the review from Toronto, Canada. Travelers have different expectations, but no hotel could please this couple. Asking a waiter who speaks limited English for "drinking water", and then whining b/c you "think" the water served caused you and your partner diarrhea is ridiculous. Bottled water is $1.00. Also, scolding Soria Moria for your inability to handle an annoying tuk tuk driver outside the hotel is not the fault of the hotel. Finally, a supposed musty smell in the room? The windows are huge - open them.

1. Location: the hotel is located in an up and coming (read 'less fashionable') area known as Wat Bo. Fifteen min. walk across small bridge to Old Market, Pub Street, Night Market. The welcoming hotel has a kind of upscale backpacker vibe. Young fresh faced travelers mix in with interesting mid level travelers - a great combination.
2. My room #204 was spacious, clean, and comfortable. Big beautiful windows. Room #206 ditto. Elevator, yes. A/C, yes.
3. The cozy Fusion Kitchen restaurant if off the lobby. Food was consistently fresh and simple - Curry Khmer Chicken $5.00 out of this world good. Power, a waiter, was a plus.
4. Soria Moria sent a tuk tuk to pick me up (promptly) from Tara Angkor Hotel across the river (3x as much $ and the food not 1/2 as good) where I was initially staying. Mr. Rihn was my driver. He was not aggressive at all - some days I couldn't find him when I was looking for him! The other drivers were fine.
The one negative was Tony, my burned out guide for Angkor Wat Tour recommended by the front desk.Tony had zero enthusiasm for his subject, yawned frequently, rushed, and was generally bored with the whole Wonder of the World thing. Having travelled thousands of miles and spending thousands of dollars to see Angkor Wat, this negative is unforgivable, but I don't blame Soria Moria - I blame Tony. The hotel will never use him again after his lackluster performance.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

I spent 2 nights in this lovely hotel in March of 2011. The service was outstanding and room clean with a comfortable bed. The hotel's central location makes it possible to walk to everything worth seeing in the town. I reserved my room easily only a day before arrival over the phone. The hotel arranged the airport transportation and sightseeing with a car and a guide during my stay. Everything worked out flawlessly and I enjoyed very much Siem Riep and Cambodia.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank GeorgeAlexiev
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

Stayed a couple of days at Soria Moria in March and had an excellent experience. Excellent reception, customer service. Nice & big rooms in old colonial style. Restaurant is very good and I must recommend one of their dishes called Fish Amok! The hotel is clean and also has a very nice rooftop bar with wiew of Siem Reap and surroundings. The hotel is also much involved in responisble tourism and their work is impressive. Look forward to come back to Siem Reap to the friendly Soria Moria Botique Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms high up are nice! The elevator will take you there.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Frederik L
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

Our stay at Soria Moria began with a complimentary airport pick-up which never showed up! This despite confirming and re-confirming our reservation & airport pick-up twice (first time a month in advance; second time 4 days in advance). That said, we then took a public taxi from the airport ourselves to the Soria Moria (and promptly wished we hadn't; never before did we have to deal with such an aggressive, forceful taxi driver!). The check-in at the hotel was fine, and the front desk staff was apologetic for missing our pick-up (and offered a complimentary airport drop-off at the end of our stay). To their credit, the hotel's front desk staff is one of the high points of this establishment - they are always helpful in providing sightseeing advice and in booking tours/taxis.

The room: While it was of a good size, it appeared somewhat "tired" and had a musty smell. The bathroom was even more tired and definitely needed a reno. What was most disappointing, however, was the quality of the linens. Old, itchy, covered with holes, and my partner even received several mysterious bites (non-mosquito) from something in the linen on our last night at this hotel! If it wasn't for that, the room would have been much more comfortable.

The vendors: Anyone traveling to Siem Reap will surely make use of the vendors associated with their hotel - primarily, tuk-tuks and taxis. This is where the Soria Moria gets a failing grade. The tuk-tuk driver which the hotel set us up with on our first day was initially friendly, but became a real pest on subsequent days since we decided to go with air-conditioned taxis rather than tuk-tuks. Since this fellow was part of the tuk-tuk "mafia" which hung around the hotel's front entrance, he would constantly call our names out and trail behind us whenever we left or arrived at the hotel. This was the biggest contributor to our lack of comfort at this hotel. Just leaving the hotel to drop off our laundry would result in the driver coming up to us and engaging in high-pressure sales tactics (and "guilting") to try and make us use his services. Even after we firmly said "No", he would hassle us again 20 minutes later, when we left the hotel to *walk* to lunch! The hotel staff (including their "security guard") would notice the harassment but ignore the drivers whenever they engaged in this behaviour. But to give the hotel some credit, the driver of the A/C taxi which they set us up with, was friendly/amicable and NEVER engaged in such behaviour. Ask for "Tonish" or "Tony".

The food: While they offered a wide selection of dishes (tasty, for the most part) at their Fusion Kitchen, I suspect they need to work on their hygiene. We got a horrible case of diarrhea from either the food or water we consumed at their restaurant on our last night at the hotel. I should note we asked for "drinking water" from the waiter, but my guess is that they gave us tap water.

To summarize, there are a number of areas the Soria Moria needs to work on to really be considered a comfortable 3-star "boutique hotel". Until those areas are addressed, it's not a comfortable place to stay while in Siem Reap and I'd recommend staying somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple